News Russian women preparing for mock-up moon mission

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
July 24, 2015

Six female Russian scientists will take part in a new experiment that requires them to stay in a confined space for eight consecutive days - exactly as much time is needed to reach the Moon on a spacecraft and orbit it once.

From October 27 to November 4, the Russian Academy of Science’s Institute of Biomedical Problems (IBP) in Moscow will conduct the experiment, “Moon 2015”, which is the first isolation experiment exclusively involving women.

The project’s goal is to study the psychology and physiology of female humans during deep space missions in order to ultimately understand which line-ups would be the most suitable for such tasks. Ten volunteers – postgraduate students, laboratory assistants, junior and senior research associates – are getting ready for the experiment, but only six of them will be selected to participate.

According to Sergei Ponomarev, one of the project managers, “Moon 2015” will lay the foundation for a series of similar tests. “We would like to collect as much data on the early stages of the female body’s adaptation to enclosed spaces as we can. We are talking about a somewhat distinctive microbiota – no new strains of microorganisms can emerge there. Therefore, the immune system goes into what we call hibernation. But we still have no information on when and how exactly this happens – abruptly or gradually,” the researcher said.

Self-experimentation

The experiment’s future participants work in several fields, all of which will be involved in the course of the project.
These are physiology, biophysics, genetics and others. For instance, Inna Nosikova, a research associate at the IBP, is the team’s medical officer.

Another participant, Darya Schastlivtseva, is a laboratory assistant and researcher at the Institute. She wants to test the efficiency of unique research equipment and methods. “It would also be interesting to see how containment will factor in the interactions between us women”, Schastlivtseva added.

Anna Kussmaul, chief researcher at the analytical center of the United Rocket and Space Corporation, told RBTH that she’d like to examine herself within the framework of her own research. “I’d like to know what it feels like to exist in a confined space, and to examine myself as I’d examine an object of research,’’ said Kussmaul.

“Besides, the development of space science depends on promotion. We need to attract attention to the industry, to kindle the interest of young people into research work. And I’d be very happy to contribute by taking part in this splendid project.’’

Countering weightlessness

The project will consist of two stages: 1) participants will first stay into a sealed room, and 2) then move to a short-radius centrifuge to counter possible negative effects of the micro-g environment. The centrifuge is designed to imitate the gravity of Earth, deterring the onset of atrophy that happens in bones and muscles because of weightlessness.

In the future, all spaceships designated for long distance flights will be equipped with such centrifuges. Scientists expect this technology will find wider use no earlier than in five years. Up until recently, the centrifuge tests involved only men. During “Moon 2015”, each project participant will spend 30 to 40 minutes in it before and after isolation.

About 30 various studies are planned for the mission. The team will have to go through tests evaluating their psychological state, immune systems, microbiota and other factors. Two of the planned experiments concerning the adaptation abilities of the cardiovascular system to spaceflight are already being held onboard the International Space Station.

To the Moon, but how soon?

Researchers will also examine the performance of new equipment due to be sent to the ISS later this summer. “We have recently developed the medical monitoring system, Neurolab, in collaboration with the German Aerospace Center. Now we need to see if the results of body monitoring depend on the time of day,” said Alexander Smoleevsky, research associate at the IBP and one of the project executives.

According to Oleg Korablev, head of the Department of Solar System Planets and Small Bodies Physics at Russia’s Institute of Space Research, the Moon represents the most realistic goal for human colonization. It is expected that the required infrastructure on the Moon surface will be built by robots controlled by astronauts onboard a vessel orbiting the satellite. ”The results of the upcoming experiment might prove to be useful for arranging this,” Mr. Korablev told RBTH.

Nevertheless, a manned mission to the Moon is unlikely to happen before 2025, the expert said. Incidentally, a mission to the Moon is included in Russia’s Federal Space Program and is scheduled for 2016 to 2025. But the project has been repeatedly postponed in the past, which means the IBP experiment will only become relevant in the long term.

anya_kusssmaul.jpg

Anya Kusssmaul

dasha_komissarova.jpg

Dasha Komissarova

dasha_schastlivtseva.jpg

Dasha Schastlivtseva

inna_nosikova.jpg

Inna Nosikova

lena_luchitskaya.jpg

Lena Luchitskaya

marina_matveeva.jpg

Marina Matveeva

masha_maximova.jpg

Masha Maximova

polina_kuznetsova.jpg

Polina Kuznetsova

tanya_shigueva.jpg

Tanya Shigueva

natasha_lysova.jpg

Natasha Lysova

http://rbth.co.uk/science_and_tech/...en_preparing_for_mock-up_moon_miss_48009.html)

TachyonDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting - I wonder how long it takes for the women's monthly cycles to synchronise?? Wouldn't what to be the poor mission controly guy talking to them when that happens! :blink: :ninja:

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
^^^This comment:facepalm:

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

It seems that most of their work could easily be done by astronauts already in space...without the need for auxiliaries on the ground. The only difference being that the ISS is in micro-gravity while the moon is not.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

It seems that most of their work could easily be done by astronauts already in space...without the need for auxiliaries on the ground. The only difference being that the ISS is in micro-gravity while the moon is not.

I'm missing something - right now they are simply putting six women in a box for 8 days, on Earth? When / where are they doing this in a micro-gravity environment? They mentioned that an experiment was already underway on the ISS, but I don't see confining six women in a box on the ISS any time soon.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Seems...er...a little sexist to me to suppose there will be confinement issues on only an 8 day mission, when women have been handling themselves very well on actual space missions for years.

Reminds me of the sexist questions some media asked Yelena Serova.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Seems...er...a little sexist to me to suppose there will be confinement issues on only an 8 day mission, when women have been handling themselves very well on actual space missions for years.

Reminds me of the sexist questions some media asked Yelena Serova.

Yes, true. But interest in space exploration has been waning in the public media, so some titilation about six lovely, intelligent Russian women being put in a box for space science just wins. :hitit:

Seriously - gender and other psychological issues need to be sorted out if we're going to launch a team on a hazardous journey to Mars or beyond. Men and women are different, and mixing them in stressful environments is rife with emotional issues. We're not robots. Keeping the family happy all the way through the expedition is wicked important.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
It isn't Mars, it's 8 days. Long rendezvous Soyuz missions already last nearly that long.

I found this concerning:
“It would also be interesting to see how containment will factor in the interactions between us women”

As if we should expect a catfight?

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, this is Russian media at their best..... :rolleyes:

(let's say the media tastes of the OP is.....quirky, even given where he is ;))

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Since when does it take 8 days to go to the moon and orbit it once?, That just takes 3 days and some change... 8 days for the whole out, around, and back again. That I believe....

Apollo 8 Mission duration: 6 days, 3 hours, 42 seconds

TachyonDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Really dude? There's the whole rest of the internet for that.

It was a simple question of biology, yes with a humorous comment at the end, but these things may well have an impact on mission efficiency....

Nothing sordid, dirty or perverted intended... :facepalm: certainly nowhere near as bad as implying women have to stop & ask directions as a later post alluded to.

dman

Reaction score
The two extra days is for stopping to ask for directions. :leaving:

If it was a man would not stop........

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

Think Russians looking to do a repeat of the ZOND missions of the late 1960's?

US was very concerned that Soviets would lauch manned version of ZOND on circulunar
trajectory before APOLLO 8

ZOND was basically a modified SOYZU - with "workshop" module at forward end removed and about 7 man days of supplies crammed into reentry module

ZOND only had room for single pilot.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If it was a man would not stop........

Actually, the joke was that you can't stop for anything when you're in orbit. :cheers:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, it is some kind of urban legend that women have less conflicts than men. They have less violent conflicts, that is true, but how anyone ever had the idea that women naturally get better along with each other than men is beyond me.

I've talked about the topic with my wife once, and she confirmed that while women are a lot less prone to physical aggression, their conflicts are by no means less numerous, nor less destructive for that matter. The destruction just isn't as obvious to the environment.
I thought we knew that since that guy wrote the Ring of the Nibelung somewhen back in the 13th century... :shifty: (although, there the destruction was pretty apparent by the end :lol: )

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry... couldn't help myself:

Female Astronauts - "Houston we have a problem"
Houston - "copy, what is it?"
Female Astronauts - "nothing"
Houston - "please tell us what is wrong"
Female Astronauts - "i don't want to talk about it..."

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008