Launch News Luna 25 - Thursday, Aug. 10, 23:10 UTC

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
"Engine failure" is a bit severe for the engine. Looks like it performed too well ! It probably never received the cutoff command and burned all its fuel like an honest rocket engine is supposed to do :salute:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
"Engine failure" is a bit severe for the engine. Looks like it performed too well ! It probably never received the cutoff command and burned all its fuel like an honest rocket engine is supposed to do :salute:
I don't think so, otherwise the plan would be to land with only 43 seconds of prop.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
I'm sorry, this is total BS.
How is putting a little unmanned probe (something several nations have done) harder than sending humans back to the moon, to stay this time?
And may I remind you, Artemis 1, even though it was not supposed to land, completed it's design mission perfectly.

the mission is so difficult that it was necessary to temporarily evacuate the population from the houses, as the rocket took off in the opposite direction

no one has ever been able to land the apparatus, but the pole of the Moon

Last edited:

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The main difficulty is to get into a polar orbit around moon, which seems to have worked. From there on a landing should not be too different from landing out of a more or less equatorial orbit.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
the mission is so difficult that it was necessary to temporarily evacuate the population from the houses, as the rocket took off in the opposite direction
Isn't Vostochny supposed to replace Baikonur, and wasn't that location chosen because of the access to 51.6º orbits? Luna 25 was launched into a 51.7º orbit, so I guess that those people will have to be evacuated every time there is a launch from Vostochny to the ISS.... Anyway, so no extra difficulty there. And the rocket didn't go in the "opposite direction", the spy sats usually launched from Vostochny go North, Luna 25 went East, which is "standard".

Completely irrelevant for Luna 25 at the time it failed. It was (simply) changing orbits.

57º South... a bit more than I expected. :cautious:

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Ah, but that worked fine.
And you say an unusual launch azimuth is harder than sending a human landing system the the south pole, and building a space station in DRO?

As said before, totally irrelevant. And NASA is sending humans to the exact same place.
No one had landed humans on the moon, until NASA did it in 1969-1972.

All you are trying to do is make yourself feel better about your country's space program.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
All you are trying to do is make yourself feel better about your country's space program.
I'm not interested in an argument, you took my message, which I sent to Thunder Chicken, which had a painful joy from a failed mission

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm not interested in an argument, you took my message, which I sent to Thunder Chicken, which had a painful joy from a failed mission

We all love failures more than boring successes for some reasons:

• You can learn more from a (unlucky?) failure than from a (lucky?) success. See survivor bias there.
  • Popcorn
  • The comic book store guy: "Worst space program ever." (Even if it isn't)
  • Seeing all the hype, PR, astro turf and marketing suddenly vaporize and leaving just engineering behind.
  • Did I say popcorn already?
  • A "bembel" with "Epplewoi" is of course also fine.
  • Plain Schadenfreude and Weltschmerz. I know you want it.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
successful results, turning on devices

also register a meteorite impact on the moon, which is incredible luck

MaxBuzz

Reaction score

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Of course, the article does not mention how the development and schedule is accelerated...

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
Of course, the article does not mention how the development and schedule is accelerated...
a repeat of the mission in 2025 is also being considered

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
a repeat of the mission in 2024 is also being considered

But that would require that a flight prototype was constructed for the mission, which is rather unusual in Russian spaceflight. The procedure more common in the western world, and became even here unusual in the late 1990s, due to the higher costs over a classic subsystem mockup.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
But that would require that a flight prototype was constructed for the mission, which is rather unusual in Russian spaceflight. The procedure more common in the western world, and became even here unusual in the late 1990s, due to the higher costs over a classic subsystem mockup.

talks about the repetition of the Luna-25 mission in 2025 (symbolically)