OHM Crew Dragon for Orbiter2016

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, the IDA's docking port for Dragon needs to be changed in the vessels folder. Not the Dragon's docking rotation. I believe the IDA was originally used for docking the Soyuz, by the author.
Hi Don, apologies for my ambiguous reply! I mean simply bank the Dragon over to match the docking port orientation. No need for changing any docking port parameters. Visually it looks like a good fit for IDA as it is.

Of course, if you think the IDA docking port orientation should be changed, go for it!

For the ease of implementation, I'd simple render the meshes only in external and VC cockpit mode, leaving the glass cockpit view clear of meshes.
Code:
SetMeshVisibilityMode (AddMesh (your_Mesh, &your_ofs), MESHVIS_EXTERNAL | MESHVIS_VC);
This is simple and the user can easily switch back and forth with the [F8] key.

In addition an extra viewpoint for the [N] toggle would be cool, e.g. a 'docking port cam' looking forward, or located sideways just outside the hatch to look around.
OK, I can try that method and see if works without impacting anything else.

Wish we could have an "External Camera MFD" to show an external viewpoint! But I can put another external viewpoint on the [N] toggle menu, pretty easily.

But concerning the recovery of the DRAGON crew, do not you think that it is rather the US NAVY with a special boat and helicopters, as for Apollo?
Hi pappy2,
great pics as always! Yes, I think they might have a more elaborate recovery operation for the crew. I await some pics/info :)

Cheers,
Brian

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Perhaps a view of the docking target, like the one the soyuz uses. I have a similar view I used for the Shenzhou 9.

Also, would it be too much of a problem, to put a slight rocking motion after splashdown ?

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Vraiment prodigieux !!! :tiphat: in french...

pyrc.jpg

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Vraiment prodigieux !!!
Merci, Jacques :)

Perhaps a view of the docking target, like the one the soyuz uses. I have a similar view I used for the Shenzhou 9.
Could you give me an idea of how the view on the Shenzou works?

I don't see targets on the ISS, but I do see two points on IDA that look like grapple targets. I could certainly make an external view point to align with one or other of them(quite close together anyway). Or is something further involved?

Also, would it be too much of a problem, to put a slight rocking motion after splashdown ?
I know francisdrake's Orion has a cool "bobbing" motion at splashdown - "rocking" is slightly different but might still work - I'll give it a try :)

Cheers,
BrianJ

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't see targets on the ISS, but I do see two points on IDA that look like grapple targets. I could certainly make an external view point to align with one or other of them(quite close together anyway). Or is something further involved?
The IDA's use the same targets as the shuttle crews did which is on the hatch of the PMA's. This graphic from the STS-129 Rendezvous checklist explains the target: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kud4a7vwiemt1l/PMA_CL_CAM_TARGET.jpg?dl=0

Photo of the centerline camera docking target of PMA-2 can be seen in this photo: https://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-110/hires/s110e5071.jpg

Everything you need to know about the International Docking System Standard: http://www.internationaldockingstandard.com/download/IDSS_IDD_Revision_E_TAGGED.pdf
The IDSS is what the the IDA's conform to.

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here is a screen shot of the PVT target on the IDA. I suspect there will be a camera that will focus on it.

Attachments

• IDA_PVTtarget.jpg
    IDA_PVTtarget.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 52

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com

The 'bobbing' of the Orion is achieved by soft touchdown points' spring stiffness, and very little damping. Also the touchdown points have slightly different z-values to induce some kind of 'chaotic' movement.

Below is my example of the Orion. The first 3 points are for the bottom, the other 3 for the top end of the capsule.
Code:
static const DWORD ntdvtx_geardown = 6;
static TOUCHDOWNVTX tdvtx_geardown[ntdvtx_geardown] = {
	{_V( 0,-3.6, -1.2), 9e4, 1e2, 3.0, 0.2},
	{_V(-3, 2, -1.1), 9e4, 1e2, 3.0, 0.2},
	{_V( 3, 2, -1.1), 9e4, 1e2, 3.0, 0.2},
	{_V( 0,-5,  3),   8e4, 1e2, 3.0},
	{_V(-5, 4,  3),   8e4, 1e2, 3.0},
	{_V( 5, 4,  3),   8e4, 1e2, 3.0}
};

pappy2

Reaction score
Here is a screen shot of the PVT target on the IDA. I suspect there will be a camera that will focus on it.

Hello friends,
do not forget the cameras that were installed during the US EVA 51

"...During the spacewalk on juin 14, ARNOLD and FEUSTEL will install a pair of high-definition media and cameras on the Harmony module that will help commercial crews align with the international docking adapter of the party. before Harmony..."

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks DaveS and Don for the info re:docking targets!

The IDA's use the same targets as the shuttle crews did which is on the hatch of the PMA's.
Which means the vessel should have the same orientation whether docking with IDA or direct to PMA?
This is not the case with the IDA add-on as it is.

Well, easy enough to make an external viewpoint that aligns with PVT target on IDA, but if IDA docking port is changed to "correct" orientation (same as PMA) then the viewpoint will not be correct. What to do? Think the simplest thing is to go with the IDA configuration as it is.

@francisdrake - thank you, thank you! I wondered how you did the bobbing thing :) Ingenious, I'm surprised it doesn't cause problems with "Landed" status or getting flung into space - will give it a try.

Cheers,
Brian

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
I'm surprised it doesn't cause problems with "Landed" status or getting flung into space

You are welcome! In fact, while the result is simple, it took some experimenting to get there. The soft springs deform a lot, so the touchdown points need to be a little further down than usual, to avoid 'bottoming out' or sinking below the waterline.

The oscillation frequency is a result of mass, moment of inertia, spring stiffness and damping. You may want modify (soften) the stiffness even further to get a low-frequency wobbling, as the Dragon has less mass than the Orion.

barrygolden

Reaction score
Don, you and Brian have hit a home run. Still trying to get more info about service module but might need to be James Bond there seems to be some close kept secrets but working on it. There is a deployable device to use the targets on the docking port is might keep that in mind during an update.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I figured a docking camera and a light, with lazer tracking.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Update 180827 on OH:
Added Port/Starboard acquisition lights, Docking Spotlight, Lidar.
(Spotlight 100m range, Lidar aligns between PVT targets on IDA)

Added Drogue+Main Chutes "Safe/Armed" function (just for fun ;-)

Moved Main Chutes attach point and splashdown/chute-collapse sequence.

Unobscured "Glass Cockpit" view.

Still to do:
Windows transparent from exterior.
(I tried making holes in the mesh, but it does bad things to the normals.
Think it can be done by transparent mesh + mesh sequence adjustment.)

Suggestions welcome. Thanks to francisdrake for help with Touchdown points.

Cheers,
BrianJ

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Still to do:

Which 3d software do you use for modelling?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Update 180827 on OH:
Added Port/Starboard acquisition lights, Docking Spotlight, Lidar.
(Spotlight 100m range, Lidar aligns between PVT targets on IDA)

Added Drogue+Main Chutes "Safe/Armed" function (just for fun ;-)

Moved Main Chutes attach point and splashdown/chute-collapse sequence.

Unobscured "Glass Cockpit" view.

Still to do:

Cheers,
BrianJ

I can help with the windows if you need.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Many thanks for the update!

I tried making holes in the mesh, but it does bad things to the normals.

When making holes in the mesh in Gmax, the normals are not an issue to me. My sequence is like this:

Make piercing body. Typically I use a 2D-rectangle with rounded corners, extrude it to 2 m. No material.

Select outer vessel shell. New Object tool, compound object drop down menu. Boolean.
Pick operand B, copy. (The piercing body will be needed later again).
Select the piercing body.
Cut. Remove inside. Manually delete any vertices not in the intended section curve (often remnants of the copied piercing body).

Convert the boolean object to Editable shell!
Always convert to editable shell before doing anything to a boolean object.

Repeat for inner shell (pressurized shell).

Then select the piercing body and intersect it first with the outer shell, then with the inner shell. This is to create the 'window sill covering the hollow between inner and outer shell.

Finally intersect the piercing body with the outer shell, remove outside, to create a window pane.

To tidy up welding of some close-together vertices may be necessary.
Finally delete the piercing body.

It is a tedious process, but aside from that it usually works without side effects. Sorry for the lengthy post ...

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
AC3D works basically the same way. they just use different names for the process.