wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
Can I assume that is a barrell of monkeys on a rocket, Lingofreak? hehe

AstroSammy, it's easily to forget. It needs to be part of your preflight checklist along with loading the file and dumping excess fuel etc.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Guys, also make sure that your MFD refresh rate is set to 0.01. Otherwise you won't see the MFD blink red when you are about to fail passing your checkpoint.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
I like what i see with that MFD, but I just have one wish for it: Graphical representation. Just a map showing your location and the location of the checkpoints.

Otherwise, keep up the good work. Cant wait to test it more

EDIT:
Do you guys either have AIM, Xfire, or a Ventrillo server? This could make communication easier...

My aim is kaito2112
xfire is kaito2112

Last edited:

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Kaito - We frequently talk on the IRC. If you want, you can join us at irc.orbithangar.com (web applet: http://orbithangar.com/orbiterirc.php).

My newest record for doing the standard gr-win1 course:
score3.jpg

Epsilon

Interplanetary Road Pizza
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Argh, that speed limit on the start line is a royal pain. Argh!

Initially, I thought the same when I was twiddling it initially. But think of it like this - with 2 or 3 or 4 people, sure, we can just go balls to the wall with the engines. But if we've got 10 or 12 people racing in a multiplayer setting, people in the back of the pack are crossing the start line ready to take to the air, while people that were farther forward are still trying to get up to speed. By putting a speed limit on the starting line, we make sure that everyone's starting the race at -roughly- the same speed. Could it stand to be higher? Sure. But you end up with the same basic problem if you bump it too high, e.g. significantly different starting speeds.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Ya, like Eps says, but also it enables more daring pilots to get a little more headstart into CP2. Think of it like when you rev your engine in a driving game prior to start, get it just right and you get a headstart on the other, more cautious racers.

And damn ctex! you are the first to break 200secs.. nice! SCRAM and retro assists?

Kaito, as to your map request. We were talking about that last night. I personally don't want a GPS page on the mfd, I think it takes a lot of the challeneg out of it, and F1 driver or red bull pilot doesnt have one. Also it is a ***** to code. So for now, it is not being included. However, what will beincluded is a picture of the course layout. It wont plot your position but it will provide you with a map to study.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Well actully scratch that last statement. Artlav coded a gps map into the mfd, which shows the race gates and plots your position relative to them.

I've been passively following this development. I don't know if I'd be good enough for this sort of thing, but the concept is interesting.

I agree with your thoughts whap. Course knowledge/experience is everything. Granted, it would be less important on something with this much range and deltaV, but still, it would be better to have just a map and go. The MFD can compute all it wants, but don't display the "GPS map" to the pilot. (for Bullrun (the TV version) they ban GPS devices as part of the point of the rally is the navigation)

And given that participants can get as much stick and course time as they want on their own, it makes it even less important to have a "GPS tracked map".

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
I agree with you bloodspray, but the gps screen is ever popular unfortuantely. I got overruled! :p

That said, it can actually be a little dissorientating on a tight course in orbiter, so I can understand it's attraction... not that I will use it.. ;)

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I agree with you bloodspray, but the gps screen is ever popular unfortuantely. I got overruled! :p

That said, it can actually be a little dissorientating on a tight course in orbiter, so I can understand it's attraction... not that I will use it.. ;)

Maybe its availability could be set by a scenario variable on multiplayer. For single player time trials there would be no way of enforcing against cheating, so it would be best to leave it as available and avoid the temptation, but for multiplayer the GPS could be allowed or dissalowed by the server as required by the scenario. Races on tight courses could use it, while less cramped "navigation" courses could dissalow it.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There is no question of weather the map is "allowed" or not allowed, it's just a navigation equipment. You can always not use it if you don't want to, it's an entirely different page inside the MFD.

rcpmfd-3.png

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Developmentis going very well, both offline and online stuff.

There will now be two seperate releases of this addon:

AIA ORRL package: This will contain all the necessary content for OFFLINE play only. It will allow you to fly all the courses against the clock, either for practice/fun or for entry into the Offline league tables. This package is essentially complete, technically. It just requires finalisation of courses, the RCPMFD and documentation. It will be released as soon as the beta is complete in the new year.

SF ORRL OMP package:
This is a larger, collaborative and open source effort between multiple Orbiter developers and contributers. This is aimed at the ONLINE multiplayer side of the ORRL, using Face’s OMP server/client architecture. Once the project is out of early beta and running as intended, we plan to run MP sessions, with league tables, for Orbitnauts to join in and race or just spectate. This project will take longer than the offline version to establish and will be an ongoing developmental project.

A bit more eye candy for you, here are some screens of an XR2 racing skin I did today, based of the Angel skin.
orrlskin1.jpg

orrlskin2.jpg

Last edited:

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
How do you control/check craft like the XR series, where with a cheat code, you could turn them into unbelievable monsters just with a few simply cfg tweaks?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Developmentis going very well, both offline and online stuff.

There will not be two seperate releases of this addon:

You say "not" there, but context makes me think you meant "now."

Is that correct?

AIA ORRL package: This will contain all the necessary content for OFFLINE play only. It will allow you to fly all the courses against the clock, either for practice/fun or for entry into the Offline league tables. This package is essentially complete, technically. It just requires finalisation of courses, the RCPMFD and documentation. It will be released as soon as the beta is complete in the new year.

SF ORRL OMP package: This is a larger, collaborative and open source effort between multiple Orbiter developers and contributers. This is aimed at the ONLINE multiplayer side of the ORRL, using Face’s OMP server/client architecture. Once the project is out of early beta and running as intended, we plan to run MP sessions, with league tables, for Orbitnauts to join in and race or just spectate. This project will take longer than the offline version to establish and will be an ongoing developmental project.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Bloodspray, we rely on sportsmanship and skill. Besides, if someone is miles better there is good reason to expect 'cheating'. But I don't think it will be an issue.

Linguofreak, thank you for spotting that! it was meant to, and now does, say NOW. The statement is correct, there will be 2 releases.

Epsilon

Interplanetary Road Pizza
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
How do you control/check craft like the XR series, where with a cheat code, you could turn them into unbelievable monsters just with a few simply cfg tweaks?

As far as that's concerned, if someone does some serious spanking of a score, it's likely to be the same thing we said to AgentGonzo - "replay or it didn't happen." :D

As WHAP said though, we're mainly relying on sportsmanship to keep this from happening.

Scarecrow

Reaction score
A bit more eye candy for you, here are some screens of an XR2 racing skin I did today, based of the Angel skin.

Very nice! Will it be possible to choose a skin on the OMP server, or make our own skins? If so, could you release a paint kit for the advertising so we can layer them on whatever skin we want (like the Red Raven one)?