wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
Watcha,

Yeah, just to clarify, tb, I understand fully the 'other side of the fence', sorry for me trying to make a joke... ;p
And I have no trouble with honouring their request, like I have previously said.

There has been no charges, legal or financial levied as of yet. The letter issued a deadline for the change to occur to avoid such things. So I have made the changes as requested. Like I say, the wordpress hosts seem like good people to me and the legal letter was sent to them.

As it happens, I have chucked an email to the PR department of the RRL (I can only get the public contacts from the website) and as of yet no reply back. I basicaly said to them that I appreciate their position and don't want fuss so will make the necessary changes. But I did add that I was dissapointed that a group like the RRL isn't more interested in actively promoting such things, rather than suppressing them. Lastly, I suggested to them that if they wanted a proper virtual RRL that actually reflects what they do, to promote their stuff, then I had the contacts to make it happen.

But, in truth, I doubt I will ever get a reply. I suspect that most of the RRL bods won't even be aware as to what their lawyers have done. And as has been said, I doubt they realise what we actually do. It's likely just a lawyers kneejerk reaction whilst he wears his trademark hat.

I shall keep you posted if there is any futher developments though.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, WHAP. Good to know it didn't trouble you beyond bad vibrations...

I really HATE it if such things happen to creative people giving away their hard work for free... in this community, it happened twice now, with jmarcure (is this his nick here, too? was at M6...) being the first one with his beautiful firefly model.

cheers,
Face

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I really HATE it if such things happen to creative people giving away their hard work for free... in this community, it happened twice now, with jmarcure (is this his nick here, too? was at M6...) being the first one with his beautiful firefly model.
jmarcure isn't active on these forums, but he is active over on the RagTagFleet forums.

And I think the issue with the firefly model wasn't with the model itself, but just with the Blue Sun logo, which is actually used on merchandise.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
How do you come to this conclusion? I wrote about them trying to make money out of some disputable laws. Not that there is some conspiracy or the like.
It was a hastily drawn conclusion and I should have known better. My humble apologies.

At least in Germany and Austria, they send you C&D letters right together with the costs of their lawyers. Some have indeed specialized on C&D letters only for income. Very disgusting. Especially because they threaten you with further costs just to keep you shut and pay.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the C&D letter could bring costs without so much as a metaphorical "shot across the bow".

Don't get me wrong here, I understand and respect IP laws. But the applying of those traditional instruments to new medias like the internet perverts justice more than it enforces it. Yeah, I know law isn't necessarily justice, but it should at least try to come as close as possible, not as profitable as possible.
Ditto.

Yeah, just to clarify, tb, I understand fully the 'other side of the fence', sorry for me trying to make a joke... ;p
No apology needed. It has led to a healthy discussion, yes?

Thanks for the update and I am glad that this has not cost you any dough. I'm sure you could have done without the grief, though. :cheers:

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
tbh, I found the whole thing quite exciting and, dare I say it, flattering really. I never though it would come up on any radar.

The sad truth is, I bet the folks at the real RRL no nothing about it. I am just another statistic for the lawyers to say "we just blocked another trademark infringment this month, boss, can we have out cookie now please?"

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It was a hastily drawn conclusion and I should have known better. My humble apologies.

No need to apology. I was just curious what it was to let you draw that conclusion. I know my English to be imperfect and can lead to misunderstandings pretty fast. Thanks for clarifying...

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the C&D letter could bring costs without so much as a metaphorical "shot across the bow".

Yeah... nasty. It made some uproar in the local IT press.

The sad truth is, I bet the folks at the real RRL no nothing about it. I am just another statistic for the lawyers to say "we just blocked another trademark infringment this month, boss, can we have out cookie now please?"

Sounds absolutely plausible. I'm still flattened they got a trademark for "Rocket Racer", though.

cheers,
Face