Orbiter beta texture issues

fort

Reaction score
Now we would need to be able to lit the surface base buildings based on surface illumination beneath them.

It is doable without too much difficulty on small surfaces without that. It would still be interesting to find solutions that can be applied to large areas at once - can be all the map - while maintaining a good appearance of realism. Maybe not at Orbiter's level 19 but 15 or 16. While restoring night lights seen from far as they existed ( Jim Williams addon for example) in the 2005 version .

Jumper_001

Reaction score
I downloaded all of the massive multi-GB texture packs (120GB unzipped!) I am having issues with a "shimmering" type texture corruption on any textures >L9.

I uploaded some .pngs tohttp://imgur.com/a/RAbQe, with all the "Planetary effects" turned off to just show the texture with no atmosphere. It's not apparent in the stills, but the corruption moves with time which makes it very distracting. The L9 textures end up being "better"....

Windows 7 64bit, AMD R9 270X. I tried all different combinations of the "Extra" settings for mipmaps and ansitropic filtering, with no impact on the issue.

BigJimW

Original Orbiter Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.moonport.org
Hey Martin! It's been awhile hasn't it? I got from what I can tell is the latest version of Orbiter, but for some reason, the level 14 textures are just not working. Any ideas?

- Jim

fort

Reaction score
Hey Martin! It's been awhile hasn't it? I got from what I can tell is the latest version of Orbiter, but for some reason, the level 14 textures are just not working. Any ideas?

- Jim
Hello BigJimW,

If your question concern the entire Earth, as far i know, the highest level for high textures is 13 everywhere but 19 on canaveral and Florida, and 16 for EarthHi_05_28, EarthHi_11_05, EarthHi_10_06, EarthHi_12_21.

good day.

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk

- Jim

Hi Big Jim - this is indeed a blast from the past! I'm not entirely sure if your question refers to the current release version (2010) or beta (2015), but either way, can you say what exactly the problem is? Does the high resolution content just not show up? What are you comparing it against? What texture files did you install?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I am not sure if this has been reported before. But the night lights textures seems to have a dark blue residue of some kind in them and it doesn't look too good. In a residue, value of the blue channel can be as high as 32 where as the red channel remains zero. So far, almost every texture seems to have it.

fort

Reaction score
I can confirm for some spots on Earth. Run the Delta-Glider "Docked at ISS" scenario and wait until the sun goes down. There will be a "bright" blue "feature" on an otherwise "featureless" area.

Could you post here the scenario at the moment of the bright blue feature ?

fort

Reaction score
I don't see anything. It's dark everywhere.

A scenario spotted, at start, on the "artefact" ?

fort

Reaction score
Hello,

I don't know what i should see, and there is certainly something to see because you see something there but i don't see anything.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's a screenshot of the problem. I increased the contrast to make it stand out more:

OrbiterBeta_night_textures_blue_area.jpg

fort

Reaction score
Here's a screenshot of the problem. I increased the contrast to make it stand out more:

Yes; now i see that, all along the Chile coast; but it was for me under the shadows. So if i uncheck everything in the launchpad/visual parameters concerning clouds, fog... and put the ambiant light at 50...

NextBigLeap

Reaction score
I'm also having trouble extracting these files individually with 7zip. Do I need to download the set for it to work.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Yes. The Textures for earth and the moon are each in a Multi-Part Archive. You need all the bits before it will extract.

NextBigLeap

Reaction score
Ok so it took me a while, but I combined the two files then extracted them, Thanks!

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not a an issue but a request: KSC-level hi-res textures for Edwards AFB and Vandenberg AFB. I really think that these two really deserve the same treatment as KSC due to their historical and continued importance.

Marg

Reaction score
I second that, what DaveS states. Edwards and Vandenberg AFB deserve the same treatment as KSC, due to important role in US space program. Also there is such historic "place" which deserves this as well... water, but in new D3D9 it is at last more or less, but properly rendered.

reopen

Reaction score
I finally figured out how to combine all 6 of the Earth Hi Res files and it worked perfectly. But im having trouble with the Moon Hires 1 and 2. I dont seem to be able to combine them with 7zip, and if i try to extract them individually 1 extracts fine but 2 always fails. I have downloaded it twice with same result. I know I am probably doing something wrong any help would be appreciated.

Brian

russm

Reaction score
I've just grabbed the full texture set, and it looks like MoonHi_05_00.zip and MoonHi_05_01.zip are corrupt (truncated zipfiles). I deleted and downloaded again, and confirmed that what I'm getting matches the file size the server reports, but when I go to unzip I get this:
Code:
Archive:  mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/packages/Moon_v2/MoonHi_05_00.zip
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/packages/Moon_v2/MoonHi_05_00.zip or
        mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/packages/Moon_v2/MoonHi_05_00.zip.zip, and cannot find mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/packages/Moon_v2/MoonHi_05_00.zip.ZIP, period.
(and the same for MoonHi_05_01.zip)

tebori

Reaction score
Hello All

First Thank so much Martin for this amazing peace of software and for all your work you spent with it the last 15 years.

becouse this is a special thread about 2015 beta textures i will not write more off topic now.

i have installed orbiter 2015 with all high res textures.
textures\earth folder is 62,7 GB size.

today i flew to new york and the details where very poor. when i flew over florida or to west direction mexico the details are always very high. it looks like you would really fly.

i am software engineer so i want to report this maybe there are several problems in beta.
i will fly over a lot of areas in the next future. should i report this if i encounter similar problems with other places on earth.

thanks again for this amazing simulator
and thanks to everyone who made an addon for this...