Orbiter beta texture issues

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Since the new texture format, including high-resolution coverage and elevation support, is a major segment of the 2015 beta, it may be a good idea to have a dedicated thread to discuss planet-texture related problems.

I've spruced up the download page at http://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/orbiter_texturepacks.html a bit. Let me know if anything is unclear or could be designed better.

Last edited:

Marg

Reaction score
South America has been processed :)
I hope to see Northern Europe in high res... (Finland, Estonia, Latvia). It's just a couple of tiles.
Every other heavily populated areas are included, but not Scandinavia or Baltic states...
Beginning to realize how far to the north I live.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk

mariostivala

Reaction score
Ok for Earth Hi res textures dimensions

I downloaded again Earth.7z.003; it has the same dimensions of others files. Only Earth.7z.006 is 1,2 Gb, as declared. Thanks to all! A good new year!!:)

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Just downloaded Earth.7z.001 (file shows 4GB) but I cannot unzip the file. I am using 7Zip as recommended and I get an "uknown error" messege...
I re-downloaded it but experiencing the same problem...

DaveS

Space Shuttle Ultra Project co-developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just downloaded Earth.7z.001 (file shows 4GB) but I cannot unzip the file. I am using 7Zip as recommended and I get an "uknown error" messege...
I re-downloaded it but experiencing the same problem...
You need the other parts. It's a split multi-part archive.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Earth is about 20+GB to download, lucky I am still using the textures from the previous Beta from April + the recent overwrite so I didn't have to download a lot again.

fort

Reaction score
Earth is about 20+GB to download, lucky I am still using the textures from the previous Beta from April + the recent overwrite so I didn't have to download a lot again.

But : the April and the December textures - all of those of the altea site - thus also including actually areas already present in April are different.

Those of April was accompanied by a LoEarth.zip a file ( 140 mb) - of April - which contain levels from 1 to 9, the high resolution textures of April contain levels from 10 and 13 ( and the Canaveral of April - 10_08 - levels from 10 to 18 ) for its area .

Those of December comes with a LoEarth.zip a file ( 500 MB ) containing levels from 1 to 10, high resolution textures of December - including areas already present in April - containing levels from 11 to 13 ( and Canaveral of December levels from 11 to 19).

The textures added in December , mainly the South America, contain levels 11 to 13 for the area they cover.

Last edited:

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
These textures are SOMETHING ELSE!
The "water feature" really makes a big difference to the feel of the area...:cool::camera:
Didn't realise how "wet" it is before.. (Cape)

THANK YOU Doctor !! Keep up your beautiful work please.

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, how to start making my own high res tiles and elevations?
Where can I download their data from?
First, I would like to incorporate the highres surface tiles for other bases on Earth into the highres textures. I would like to know, how do I go about doing it?

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
HI Abloheet,

I have been trying to work that out as well. I used tileedit.exe located in 'orbiter_beta\Utils' and you will need Matlab MCR http://au.mathworks.com/products/compiler/mcr/ ver R2012a (7.17) 64bit installed for it to run.

I am wondering how you open/edit .elv files and how do you locate which part you want to edit from the files in the elev directory (which I assume you copy over into the elev_mod directory when you decide to edit). tileedit.exe is a tile viewer as it does not have any editing functions in it, but that is ok as long I can work out how to edit these files manually.

I would love to start making new bases in the new orbiter beta.