New Orbiter Beta Released (r.13, Mar 7, 2015)

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Progress?

What is the current progress in the beta development? Its been a while since any new information was posted. The inline client is ready for release, I think. Just the bug about cloud shadows, surface base shadows and updating all the default vessels to Vessel4, and writing the documentation and some utils for making and editing surface textures and terrain. Oh, and something needs to b done abt the autopilots

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi,

we've had some problems with the hoster (CodePlex) which slowed things down a bit.

And as usual: It will be released when it's time to release ;)

You can of corse always get the source-code and build your own ("bleeding edge")
version.
Note however that issue reports should be made for "official" releases only.
It makes things easier to track and reproduce.

The next release will come! That's for sure! But don't press ;)

/Kuddel

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
we've had some problems with the hoster (CodePlex) which slowed things down a bit.

The so called real life is keeping me occupied so I haven't had time to focus in the client development lately. I have not been aware of any problems on CodePlex those would have been slowing down anything. Lack of progress is a time issue not a technical issue. There was about one week down time on a project home page but during that time the SVN it-self was operational. Currently there is a lot of spam in the "issues" tab, which has never actually been used by the project. So, it's a minor cosmetic issues and I would like to see it cleaned up. For an example in SourceForge there are slightly different kind of spam on a project front pages, also known as Ads. So, I guess nothing's perfect.

malisle

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Are there any active torrents for Hi-Res beta textures? If there are, are they kept up to date with new tiles? I noticed that the map got a little bit more populated and I have no idea what tiles am I missing.

Alternatively, what is the best way to get all the latest textures in the most painless way and keep it updated?

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Martins has implemented wind effects for Orbiter 2015. How, I dont know. If you enable force markers, you can see the drag around Atlantis when it is sitting in its launch pad. It also deflects ur projectory and makes runway landings harder

I00I

Not from this world
Reaction score
I,ll dl 2015 beta when its completely crossed from beta..!!
Id like to know if 2015 is friendly to older cards like 2014?
“Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand.”:cheers:

kehengsite

Reaction score
Website
spacefan.lofter.com
The Development Speed of Orbiter 2015 is Too...ooooo SLOW

Just as the title said, the rate of orbiter development progress is to SLOW. I think Martin should open this complicated project, and put it on Github, that would be good for the improve of Orbiter, to be honest. Hope that one day Martin will accept my suggestion. :tiphat::tiphat:

Iacomus Maximus

Reaction score
2015 IS AMAZING

I Finally downloaded the latest 2015 (150307 r13) and the LowRes Earth/Moon and Clouds (I read you need all those)... and then fired it up!
It loaded almost immediately and there have been a ton of really nice changes that you'll see right away.

I say, yes, do it! :thumbup:

:cheers: :hailprobe:

Last edited:

reopen

Reaction score
I think i must be doing something wrong with the hires packs. I downloaded all 6 files and started unpacking them with 7z but only the first one unpacks all the others fail to work, same with the moon hires first one unpacks but the second doesn't. Have I as I usually do failed to read all of the instructions properly:)

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
They're multi-part archives. Only the first part will unpack, but it will unpack all the rest when you do.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Just as the title said, the rate of orbiter development progress is to SLOW. I think Martin should open this complicated project, and put it on Github, that would be good for the improve of Orbiter, to be honest. Hope that one day Martin will accept my suggestion. :tiphat::tiphat:

You are not the first to suggest such a thing. It may indeed happen eventually, but, at present Orbiter is a high quality closed source gift to us all, and it's no secret paying work has to come first (man's gotta eat, after all).

The next iteration of Orbiter will prove worth the wait.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
“Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand.”:cheers:

Cards? Graphics cards? The actual renderer is unchanged, but for the large surface textures you'll probably see better performance with more VRAM. It should run, at least.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I personally find it a very impolite making suggestions like that. I am pretty happy in the progress that Martin has made with the Orbiter. There are a lot of open source projects making much lower progress. Open sourcing the Orbiter would not guarantee any better nor faster progress, it could also lead into a disaster.

dseagrav

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Didn't you get the package of coolaid that came with your monthly internet access bill? You were supposed to drink it. That's how I came to know that open source software is the all-singing all-dancing perfect solution to all problems.

(which is why NASSP sat for three years with almost no work being done on it before I came back)

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I apologize for my impatience but there was response on the bug report threads. Could these 2 bugs (this and this) be fixed for the 2015 edition?

ZXS2000

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Loving the beta Version, I realise the focus is on stabilising the essentials, but I just couldn't resist and thought it was worth bringing up, I tried running the delta heavies add on, the crafts loaded (where on earth I'm not sure) however the vessel sat on a steep incline (guessing about 15deg) from horizontal, tried a few of the stock "delta" scenarios and consistently they more horizontal than vertical, I pushed the throttle up but these birds don't work so well in the horizontal, but did appear to be functioning until, I quit the flight after bout 30 secs as clearly I wasn't going anywhere successfully.

I was guessing it was an error in the scenario cfg file but not sure what, tried using the scenario editor but it would CTD, FIGURED AFTER THAT I would just hop back in atlantis and wait greater minds to transcend the beta to a stable condition.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
If you want to fly one of the heavies, try BrianJ's Falcon Heavy.
First install the base package, then overwrite it with the 2015-compatiblity patch.
Is a great launcher, and stands vertical on the pad! :)

Base package: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6659"]FalconHeavy[/ame]
Beta r13 mod: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6770"]FalconHeavy for OrbiterBeta r.13[/ame]

Last edited:

Retoxic

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Can't download the Beta. It's strange but svn ask me for a login and password. At the moment I have to use my very old computer with Win XP and the version of Tortoise is 17.
Maybe it's too old, or I have to know about the authorisation news?