New Orbiter Beta Released (r.13, Mar 7, 2015)

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes I downloaded the OVP beta from the link you supplied, I did not compile anything from sources thou?

We just copy the contents of d3d7client111029.zip into the orbiter beta directory right?

The zip file is a few months old thou maybe I am using the wrong files.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Alright, I've uploaded a new OVP package (d3d7client141220.zip) for anybody who doesn't want to compile it themselves. Can you try again with the new package to see if it works?

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
When I click on the D3D7Client tab the launchpad freezes and gives no error message.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Sorry, I'm out of ideas. I just downloaded and installed the Orbiter beta and the OVP package myself to double-check, and it seems to work here. Does anybody else have a similar problem?

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
NextBigLeap, were you able to get DX9 working in window mode as my DX9 works but only in fullscreen.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It might just be an installation problem... SVN can be terribly confusing to work with if you're not used to it.

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
Thanks for new beta just before Christmas Martin ! :)

So, what are the new features in this beta ?

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hm. SVN should have overwritten your old orbiter.exe with the recompiled installation checker. I'm afraid you will have to manually copy Install/orbiter.bin to orbiter.exe.

I am thinking about dropping the installation checker anyway. It seems to be more trouble than it's worth. The only useful thing it does is catching problems with mssing VS runtimes. Without it, users may just get confused by cryptic Windows error messages, and never figure out the problem.

Copied Install/orbiter.bin to orbiter.exe, works fine.
The level of detail is awesome ! You can even distinguish every single tree from up above ! The new water "shader" is pretty neat too.

The only problem I've seen so far is transparency issues with tiles that contains shores:
16c3ef27098fd97c46f47331b9463c60.jpg

Also, thanks for the banner, but could you please link the logo without the DeltaGlider behind? That would be perfect, and I won't bother you anymore, promised ! :lol:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Martin, I think it would be a good idea to update the first page with the date of the latest release. I just now realised that there was a new version up, since your post was already burried under 2 pages of troubleshooting when I got here...

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks for the new beta. Looks like there aren't many changes in the DX7Client code, so, shouldn't be difficult to upgrade the D3D9Client for the Beta 9.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea to update the first page with the date of the latest release.
I've taken the liberty of updating the thread title with the date of the last beta update. This should make it clear for people who don't read all threads or follow this one that there was a new beta release.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've taken the liberty of updating the thread title with the date of the last beta update. This should make it clear for people who don't read all threads or follow this one that there was a new beta release.

Is there a reason why the title can not be edited/changed by the thread owner ? Lot of important posts may go unnoticed because of that.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Is there a reason why the title can not be edited/changed by the thread owner ?
It should be possible to edit the title of thread by editing the title of opening post in "Advanced" editor. At least it was possible this way some time ago, but nothing should have changed. (Moderators and administrators usually do it from the list of threads instead.)

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It should be possible to edit the title of thread by editing the title of opening post in "Advanced" editor. At least it was possible this way some time ago, but nothing should have changed. (Moderators and administrators usually do it from the list of threads instead.)

I can confirm; I last edited my Orbiter 2015 Calendar submission thread to tell that submissions were closed. You indeed have to go in the advanced editor in order to edit the thread title.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
The only problem I've seen so far is transparency issues with tiles that contains shores:
16c3ef27098fd97c46f47331b9463c60.jpg
Thanks for this, it looks as if there is now a mismatch between the latest EarthHi_10_08 package, and the currently uploaded EarthLo package. I may have to generate a new EarthLo to fix this, but I don't know if I will be able to do this for the next two weeks (away from high-speed/high-volume internet).

For now, you may have to take my word that once all texture packages are finalised, it will all work together beautifully :lol:

What you could do to help me pinpoint this: progressively reduce the value of "max resolution level" under the "visual effects" tab down from 19, and see at which level these seams disappear. This'll tell me from which resolution level the textures are out of sync.

Attachments

• banner2015_ng.png
    banner2015_ng.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 28

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What you could do to help me pinpoint this: progressively reduce the value of "max resolution level" under the "visual effects" tab down from 19, and see at which level these seams disappear. This'll tell me from which resolution level the textures are out of sync.

Levels 14 and 16 seems to blame. They're all having issues with transparency at different places.

79e0560d320b29b835a208bf1763ce8b.jpg

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Levels 14 and 16 seems to blame. They're all having issues with transparency at different places.

79e0560d320b29b835a208bf1763ce8b.jpg

Odd. Levels 14 to 16 should all have been updated with the new hires texture pack. The lores pack only contains levels up to 9.

Just to confirm: when you unpacked the new EarthHi_10_08.zip inside the Orbiter directory, you did allow it to overwrite existing files?

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Let me re-install them, but I'm pretty sure that everything got overwritten.

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:22 ----------

Reinstalled and forced overwriting, but the same artifacts appear.

Can someone else confirm this?