News Neil has passed away

David413

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Are you sure?

Armstrong was also one of the pilots in the X-20 Dynasoar program early on.

Can you point me to a reference for this? I've never seen any reference to this; Neil was a Navy pilot, the X-20 was an USAF program. He was a civilian with NASA for the X-15 program (before X-20) but I don't think this is correct.

Dave

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
What can I say that hasn't been said? To speak of a man who has done so much is near impossible. I never knew him, never met him, yet the example of his life has spoken volumes to me. It wasn't his accomplishment that set him apart to me, but rather his modesty. I think humanity could be better served to follow in Neil's footsteps, not just to the stars, but in attitude as well.

The night of his death, I walked outside to a beautiful moon. Unable to show my emotion in any other way, I mustered the best salute I could before walking inside.

May your light shine ever on, Commander Armstrong.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can you point me to a reference for this? I've never seen any reference to this; Neil was a Navy pilot, the X-20 was an USAF program. He was a civilian with NASA for the X-15 program (before X-20) but I don't think this is correct.

Dave

It's in the book Dyna-Soar: Hypersonic Strategic Weapons System compiled by Robert Godwin for Apogee Books. I think he was a NASA civilian at the time. He did the pad escape tests using a Douglas F5D jet to simulate the ascent from a stricken booster and subsequent landing at the nearby Vandenberg runway. I don't think he was actually on the roster for an X-20 flight; I'd have to look it up in the book. There's an interview with him in the book where he describes the abort testing.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
It's in the book Dyna-Soar: Hypersonic Strategic Weapons System compiled by Robert Godwin for Apogee Books. I think he was a NASA civilian at the time. He did the pad escape tests using a Douglas F5D jet to simulate the ascent from a stricken booster and subsequent landing at the nearby Vandenberg runway. I don't think he was actually on the roster for an X-20 flight; I'd have to look it up in the book. There's an interview with him in the book where he describes the abort testing.

I thought he left the program before the actual flight testing was scheduled, no?

If so, that would explain why he wasn't on the roster.

Last edited:

Nighthawke

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Apollo 11 landing happened the year I was born. I remember as a youth following the Apollo program from Apollo 17 through the Apollo-Soyuz mission and on until the last Skylab flights in the mid-70's. If anyone could be said to be a role model for the astrophysics techies and manned space flight fans of my generation, it would be Neil. So long friend, and thank you for your service to the United States of America and all mankind!!

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I was 11 when Neil climbed down the ladder, and I watched it live. I wonder if we'll get back to the moon (any country), before all of us who watched are dead.:rolleyes:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
2019 is NASA's current worst funding scenario date. Using an SLS to lob 4 astronauts to the Moon and back in an Orion. Right in time for the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11.

Nighthawke

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was 11 when Neil climbed down the ladder, and I watched it live. I wonder if we'll get back to the moon (any country), before all of us who watched are dead.:rolleyes:

I'm just hoping we come up with something that will put us back in space period. I mean it's nice to see us co-operating with Russia where space matters are concerned (a far cry from the fall-out shelters of the '80's and the discussions of mutually assured destruction we used to have in my high school poli-sci classes years ago), but our country really needs to be using our own equipment to get to the ISS. It would be doing Neil's memory great honor if we renewed efforts to get the Constellation Program back on line. He was not a big fan of it's cancellation by the current administration.

Keatah

Reaction score
Even though a moon mission would be pretty useless these days; it would be cool to see the astronauts working with modern cameras and instruments. By the time they launch an SLS we'll have 2xHD or something..

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
By the time they launch an SLS we'll have 2xHD or something..

By the time the SLS is ready, I hope I will be still alive...

And an Apollo 3.0 reloaded, like the SLS is based on, will not bring much joy. It is just for making politicians happy for giving them victories, instead of getting the road to the moon paved and produce something that could not just put 12 people on the moon until money and interest expires, but at least 120 and more to follow.

FADEC

Reaction score
By the time the SLS is ready, I hope I will be still alive...

And an Apollo 3.0 reloaded, like the SLS is based on, will not bring much joy. It is just for making politicians happy for giving them victories, instead of getting the road to the moon paved and produce something that could not just put 12 people on the moon until money and interest expires, but at least 120 and more to follow.

:hesaid:

fort

Reaction score
Boy meets girl
Leos Carax

45:34
The beautiful/handsome guy close to the window, he is charming/lovely...Terry Bridgeman ( ? ); ...he is one of the Americans that walked on the moon;

53:40
- ce's la vive...ce's la vive...ce's la vive...
- What does he say ?
- This is life; this is that, life.
You know I was nine years old when you took your first step, and for years the space has been my reason for living.
Now I don't know what you think, but it is dead/lost in advance no ?

( I believe to remember to have read, there is a long time ago, that the personage in the film was supposed to be Aldrin )

Last edited:

damor

damor
Reaction score
I really am sorry. Good bye Neil; I hope you are in the space now.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Godspeed Neil Armstrong. The moon will never look the same knowing that the first man there has passed.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
RIP Neil :salute:

personally, i consider it an honor for all of us to have been alive through some of the time when the first man to walk another world walked this earth

but let us remember this greatest of heroes not in death, but in life, by cherishing his truly amazing, and to this day mostly unmatched accomplishments

let his passing serve as a marking stone so we reflect on all we have achieved since that most historic day when men first trod a world other than our own - and also, on all those places where men still ought dare and go

RIP, Neil - the :probe: will always be with you!

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Watching Commander Neil Armstrong step onto the moon is one of my very earliest childhood memories, and it inspired a love of space in me that has lasted my lifetime.

Farewell Commander and rest in peace. You were a hero to the world.

Kalman

Reaction score
I made this video as a tribute to great astronaut and first man who walked on the Moon