Gaming Microsoft Flight Megathread

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
Wow ! those pictures are almost photorealistic, I thought they were raytraced scenes. Would that kind of texturing ever be possible in Orbiter :)

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Wow ! those pictures are almost photorealistic, I thought they were raytraced scenes. Would that kind of texturing ever be possible in Orbiter :)

I'm sorry, but if you think that looks photorealistic, you need to step outside more.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
PMDG has posted quite a bit of insight on the whole development of Flight. You want some extra info on the matter that is not just conjecture, head over to their board on AVSIM and give it a read.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well, that answers that question and solves the problem. FSX FTW!

FSXHD

Heterotroph
Donator
Reaction score
Even if there is an SDK, PMDG and ORBX have made it clear that they won't be a part of Flight. That does it for me. I will keep using FSX until Microsoft pulls the plug on the FSX serial activation servers (which would be very low if they did). I might try out Prepar3D or have a look at XP10, but in regards to Flight, if the people who made FSX what it is today are not a part of it, I will have no interest in Flight whatsoever. That is that.

squeaky024

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
I've watched the videos, I've seen the features, and M$, this game is not for me. I don't need to prove it to myself over and over again, so I will not look into M$ flight anymore until I happen to hear news of them correcting it.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
IMHO:

microsoft gone and done a big mistake there, i dont even see the target audience!

if its a simulator, it would be us guys, and we'd enjoy the accurate weatehr modelling and realistic physics, but the addon community is a huge turn-off for us, so we arent likely to be an active user at all

on the other hand, the casual gamer who appreciates the casual style of gameplay, rather than simming, wouldnt care for the untea-realistic flight physics, and only about the gameplay, which has had very little (or no?) mention so far

so whatever the marketing reps were thinking of when they contested the idea of a great FSX sequel, they must have known something that we dont, else they've just laid their butts on the line big time

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I have had the chance to play the beta (I'm not part of it i just had a go on a friends), My impressions of it are,
1 - It is still a beta and filled with bugs and as such is not ready for general release. (It is a beta release...)
2 - I like some of the simple UI features that would normally hate in a sim.
3 - I have no problem with the Free to Play business model, the issue will be how much you have to pay for the addons and if there will be a free SDK (I cant find any official news either way).
4 - the graphics settings on low look better than FSX on ultra.

I'm on the wall as to weather Im going to get it. I think the SDK issues will make or brake Flight.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Next step : they will make a "Flight Simulator" for Xbox and port it to PC... :cry::suicide:

I'm on FreeFalcon 5.5 currently and I must say the community made impressive improvements to the original Falcon 4.0 :thumbup: The other day I struck a Chinese airbac..se with CBUs at sunrise, there were the light of fires on the airport behind me as I was heading back to South Korea, it was really pretty. :p

So I guess that FSX has still great days (years).

FADEC

Reaction score
I guess FSX is the last true flight simulator from Microsoft. They jumped onto the money-making-train. Not that they didn't before, but now money is their only purpose. Consoles bring more profit. So let's make games for consoles, because everything we do, we do only for money and nothing else. Because money does extend our member and helps erection.

I also notice that games become more and more easy to play during the recent years. One often gets the impression that it's made for idiots. Tomb Raider is a good example. The latest episodes don't offer any challenges anymore. Almost everything is animated. Sequences continue if you press the right arrow button as indicated, like being an ape in a laboratory. Why not creating a game for which you just have to press one single button continuously to watch it continue automatically? :facepalm:

/rant

Sorry, but I am really annoyed because the game industry does produce more nonsense than good stuff these days. It represents the modern stock exchange mentality quite well. Quarterly reports and customer numbers is the only thing that counts.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I guess FSX is the last true flight simulator from Microsoft. They jumped onto the money-making-train. Not that they didn't before, but now money is their only purpose. Consoles bring more profit. So let's make games for consoles, because everything we do, we do only for money and nothing else. Because money does extend our member and helps erection.
Flight is a PC game, not a console game.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In the past, the girls had been prettier and the coal had been blacker...

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
I expect to get flight almost regardless of how it is (or is not) different from FSX. If it sucks at simming flight, and I actually doubt it will, then it's just too bad. I haven't seen it yet, haven't tried the beta-thing, but I still think Microsoft is going to come out with a solid title :)

FADEC

Reaction score
Just a few minutes ago I read a beta review on a German computer portal. The release of Flight is scheduled for spring 2012. But don't be too optimistic.

Flight is what I expected it to become: a game. It will be based on a free-to-play model. Microsoft obviously has jumped on the famous model used by many MMORPG publishers these days. You can "play" for free, but only with a very few airplanes. If you want to fly more stuff, you have to buy it. And guess what: just like in MMORPGs/RPGs you can get experience points. Have fun with teleport and experience points, in certain parts of the world (not the entire world)...

Nah, that's not what customers like me are looking for.

The review says at the end, that Flight is for people who don't want to acquire a licence for a "computer game" (they don't even name it simulator at this point). Says it all already. From the first mile the user will be able to fly easily and safe unlike in FSX, they say. Graphics and options are considered to be "okay for a free simulator". Last sentence: real pc-pilots might stay with sims like FSX or FlighGear.

So it's not even as good as FlightGear regarding that review.

The Microsoft Flight Simulator brand is dead. I just knew why they published only eye-candy previews on their website, because there is nothing more to show. But at least people get in touch with Silverlight. It's really the only site for now I was forced to used it. Flight is nothing more than commerce. I am very sorry for the developers of the ACES team who got fired via eMail to make room for developing fastfood software.

Yeah, rename this thread to Microsoft Flight Hate Megathread if you want. I don't really hate it. It's just a game for a different audience than me. But I hate what Microsoft has done to the Microsoft Flight Simulator brand: an execution.

The future relies on X-Plane now, and further development of FSX addons for another years to come...

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The future relies on X-Plane now, and further development of FSX addons for another years to come...
Well, this is a comment for another thread, but given how thoroughly the X-Plane folks failed to take advantage of MSFS's being axed in 2009, I have absolutely zero faith in their ability to "carry the genre."

FADEC

Reaction score
Well, this is a comment for another thread, but given how thoroughly the X-Plane folks failed to take advantage of MSFS's being axed in 2009, I have absolutely zero faith in their ability to "carry the genre."

They luckily never will take advantage of what MSFS started to become by FSX already. Turning X-Plane into a easy-to-use casual gaming sim, would be awful. X-Plane does not need simple menu options and settings, a simple weather model, game-like graphics, useless missions etc.