Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Some sort of MS WTF.
Let's hope it's something interesting, unless that video is a real-time rendering.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Man, first Ace Combat: Assault horizon gets announced, then this? Never mind flight action, I think the flight genre in general is becoming more popular.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm neither here nor there on this new offering from Microsoft until I've seen a little more of it. Hopefully, as the article I linked above suggests, more will be forthcoming in the next couple of days, and we'll be able to see what it's shaping up to be.

Mantis

Reaction score
This looks great. I have Flight Simulator X and with my new PC, I've got all the visual cranked up and it's breathtaking. This looks even better.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
it troubles me when i see statements that bring "...for everyone..." BEFORE "...and long-time fans as well"...

it's AAAALL part of the conspiracy, i tell you! EEEVIL!!!! EEEEEEEVIL!!!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm::uhh:

but if they screw this up, it really doesn't matter... they already scrapped any sequels to FSX... so no-one's really expecting anything... the worse this can mean for us simmer-types, is nothing :rolleyes:

Turbinator

Reaction score
Oh my God, I am so excited now. When I opened this thread, I cautiously scrolled down to every new message, thinking it might disappoint me with some news of how this was nothing. Then -BAM- I read the news that this news was just released, today, at Gamescon in Germany. This is officially the next flight simulator coming from Microsoft.

After the news of the closing of their original dev studio, I was very disappointed, and now this!

It's good to get some fresh developers in to the microsoft flight sim genera. The original was getting boring, clearly lacking any "point" to flying the planes any more. Leaving out parts that would make it fun to paid add-ons to do their work.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
whut? really? where did you read that? :blink:

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Paid addons have done GREAT work making FSX last and it will last for atleast 4-5 years to come.

You may think bringing "Fresh" developers helps. Tell me what if Martin decided to put some fresh programmer out of college with no sim experience in charge of future Orbiter development and cut almost all ties to the community? You honestly think Orbiter wouldn't change for the worse?

Here is the problem. Microsoft wants to make this an "Everyone" game. The ACES team is gone. Lockheed got most of them along with the source code of Microsoft's airline training advancement of FSX code so the original devs are gone.

I am not saying I wont buy the game. However, I am going to force myself to treat it not as a sequel to FSX. Because in all chances it wont be.

Now IF they wanted to do something different how about adding code to simulate all aspects of flight up to Lunar orbit?

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm wondering if they'll also restart a Train Simulator development (Microsoft Train?) because the two were the most anticipated Microsoft titles before they got canned.
I too am worried about this new direction. The graphics look stunning, I'll admit, I couldn't really tell if the video was taken with a video camera or not. But if they do intend to stay on this "everyone" bandwagon, I'm not sure if it'll takeoff like the previous versions have.
I'm not connected with the SimCity community, but when SimCity brought out Societies, did overall interest drop or anything? I'm afraid FSX : SimCity 4 :: MS Flight : SC Societies.

jinglesassy

Reaction score
Only time will tell if this is a simulator or tom clancy hawx. That video to me looks like its rendered with alot of post-processing added to it.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Sim City Societies SUCKED It was fun until you figured out if you wanted any chance at all you had to go all over the place and its so cutesy... I much prefer to play Sims 3 over SC S

FSX was hyped up with supposed DX10 effects that were nowhere near the real game. I don't believe for a second that the video is anything but fake compared to what it will end up being. Also if its "Everyone" They are trying to aim for they will likely try to make the game run on the equivalent of an modern day Intel IGP. Also rumors abound that they will also make it for the X360. I love the 360 however it is not a simulation platform and its limited memory will not lend well to any kind of realistic scenery. (HAWX looks great far away but if you get close to the ground it looks like crap)

FSXHD

Heterotroph
Donator
Reaction score
Lol, DX10 in FSX.

index.php

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
has hardware even evolved far enough so someone can max-out SFX in a way that's practical and doesn't require a NASA mainframe-like setup :rolleyes:

i was kinda happy in a way that FSX would be the last... perhaps finally, over the course of the next decade we can actually get our hardware around it :lol:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:blink: on what? (your profile has no hardware specs / i'm too dumb to find it)

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
has hardware even evolved far enough so someone can max-out SFX in a way that's practical and doesn't require a NASA mainframe-like setup :rolleyes:

i was kinda happy in a way that FSX would be the last... perhaps finally, over the course of the next decade we can actually get our hardware around it :lol:

Maxing FSX is relatively easy. It wants atleast two cores to be as fast as ill get out. Major setups use Tri and Quad cores at 3.6 to 4 Ghz but it prefers 2 cores extra fast than 4 cores slower. It is very unusual in this fashion as games usually demand for GPU strength.

#1 See to your CPU Speed and Cooling
#2 Ensure your Video Card has atleast 1 gig of ram of GDDR3 or GDDR5 if running at HD resolutions or greater
#3 Make sure FSX is fully updated.

And that is about it. You don't need a decade.

Instead ACES got shown the door while the next train sim was in dev and Microsoft expects us to be happy to play a ported Xbox game as an FSX replacement.. Sigh....

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Instead ACES got shown the door while the next train sim was in dev and Microsoft expects us to be happy to play a ported Xbox game as an FSX replacement.. Sigh....
Wait what?

"Ported Xbox game?"

How do you figure? What XBox game do you think this was ported from? Do you know something we don't? It's rather too early to proclaim it a failure already, especially since we don't know anything at all about the title other than that it involves airplanes.