Gaming Microsoft Flight Megathread

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I was implying that they can't really be acurately compared.

Yhea that really can't. And it is better that way. You want to fly atmospheric flight, different things become important. Not only the dynamics, but the weather, scenery, the ground based navigation aids. All these things would just be a waste of resources in a space simulator.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I was implying that they can't really be acurately compared.

I understood what you said, it's not hard to see. :p

But I felt I should emphasize that point, and, in fact, my statement reinforces yours with the main point being the huge difference in main objectives and gameplay.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Oh my, a megathread...
Anyhow, I tried the beta briefly. Two words: Monetization and Game. I won't say more of it.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, but Orbiter doesn't accurately simulate atmospheric flight...

Hopefully next version will implement wind layers to start with, some betas already do :p

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Oh my, a megathread...
Anyhow, I tried the beta briefly. Two words: Monetization and Game. I won't say more of it.
You should consider not saying anything at all. You agreed to an Non-Disclosure Agreement.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
You should consider not saying anything at all. You agreed to an Non-Disclosure Agreement.

i read the NDA, however, it says you cant release details about the beta, those are his personal opinions...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I also thought I was agreeing to beta-test a simulator. :p

i read the NDA, however, it says you cant release details about the beta, those are his personal opinions...
Right. I'm not going to give away features. (or any other information whatsoever than that one post)

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
it's a bait-and-switch!

they SAY it's meant to please both the "casual audience" and experienced FS fans.... but i highly doubt that

the "no addons" move was a blunder of unprecedented proportions - they basically just told every FSX enthusiast to go buy X-Plane 10 instead :facepalm:

how on earth can anyone be THAT thick-headed and end up being made someones boss is well beyond me...

Kveldulf

Reaction score
The sad thing? If that video is indeed accurate, it looks like it could be quite fun with the right group of friends. I'll need to see more once its out (and not under NDA *cough*), but I'm intrigued.

It looks more like a game, than a simulator. the Microsoft Flight Simulator series may have died with FSX, but a flying game may not be a bad thing, since now there are other options for the more sim oriented crowd. If this turns out to be fun, hell, I may pick it up for messing around with some friends, but stick to the more hardcore simulators for serious flying. :2cents:

Keatah

Reaction score
They're gonna need to change that soundtrack, for one.
And what's with the boomy whooshing when changing screens. This whole thing stinks of shallow gaming - from the background music (good god!! I can't believe it!!) to the whole cloud content delivery mechanism. I gotta say this is little more than a "baby game".. And so far I'm not impressed.

Don't bother with X-plane either, yet. It seems to still be in beta. It's buggy and has other problems. Updates are still coming out every week. And that tells me the code is not finished.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
seems so.....

but - i do think there might be something less than completely legal going on....

think of it this way - M$ allowed an intusty to develop around payware FS addons

they knew about this, and how much it meant, both financially as well as for the community...

now, this payware industry could be considered a highly specialized marked - complete with fair competition between different publishers as any rightful business would have it

M$ had full awareness of this - and for years, continued to provide the base for this market to develop, and even though with every release some items became obsolete, there was room for publishers to continue their business freely

what they're doing now is to forcefully inject themselves into this payware addons market - but in a way that forces out any competition in quite a hostile manner

just as their history serves us in pointing out - they're instating a monopoly situation - and THAT's illegal

publishers like Abacus, PMDG and alike could conceivably take this to court - claiming a flight simulator series release without an SDK, coupled with the new DLC model creates unfair competition and strips them of their ability to make profit to a dramatic extent...

this could be counter-argued by the claim that Flight is not intended as a sequel to FSX -- but then again, this is something quite debatable - specially considering they wrote on many occasions that Flight WAS meant to appeal to legacy FS fans

yep - this whole "freemium" shennenigans could very well be against the law in this sense, specially if those payware companies would act on it....
they do have grounds to claim M$ is forcing them outta business, and that they're doing it intentionally and could very well have been premeditating the whole thing since the moment ACES got canned so it'd tip over their way

we as consummers, are also entitled to the claim that this unfair condition limits out ability to choose, and prices will rise uncontrollably - so we are harmed by this situation as well

so, while DLC is not really wrong in any legal way, the way they're jumping into this at this time, after all these years of knowingly brewing a third-party industry sounds pretty serious to me :facts:

an easy-out for M$, would be to simply release the SDK and allow existing publishers and users to create content in a way that puts everyone in a level playing field

note - this is ONLY possible because there is ALREADY an established marked for FS payware content - hence the problem... if there wasn't, then there'd be absolutely nothing wrong with it, except the millions of angry fans

if i were the one making money out of FS addons - i'd be lawyering up over this :nono:

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
From what I've read, the free version will be the full game in terms of functionality, but only have the Big Island as far as terrain/airports go and one or two aircraft. It'll be closer to the demo version of FSX.

So, basically, for free, we're getting what could be called Flight Unlimited IV. Except you can, for an associated cost, purchase more scenery and aircraft from M$ if you want a 'richer' experience.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
they've lost me and my money big time on this one....

what ever happened to simply making a good game and people buying it because it's GOOD?

now, this is bordering on unlawfulness, and being M$ - their history with such monkey-business doesn't exactly scream "innocent", does it?

they would get my attention back if there was talk of allowing user content into their "store" -- but 'til then, i'm gonna stick to bickering and making sure i spread the word on their evilness to the greatest possible number of people

i wonder when the phrase "the custumer is always right" got replaced by "the custumer is dumb as a doorknob and will eat dog droppings if you say so"?

Pablo49

Reaction score
I really don't have too much of a problem with the shop system. As long as the the amount of money spent to flesh out the game, is about what I would spend if there was a "Full version". Also being able to buy an addon, have it install itself and such, all from inside of the game itself is attractive.

Also, where is the source on the no SDK thing? I was doing some searching, and all I saw where posts on other forums saying there was no SDK. Assuming that isn't true, or it changes, I would hope that if a addon is meant to be freeware that it can be on the Flight store without charge. Surely there will be enough payware to keep the store viable.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
i wonder when the phrase "the custumer is always right" got replaced by "the custumer is dumb as a doorknob and will eat dog droppings if you say so"?

No, sorry, but you have not learned the first rule of capitalism.

"Make it as convenient as possible for the customer, to give you his money"

Really, would you pay $80 for a flight simulator, or maybe rather sixteen times $5 for add-ons? It is much less painful for you to spend many times small amount of money, than if you would know the total price in advance.

I don't think they are evil, or treat their customers as stupid. They simply adopt to a traditional pricing scheme. You must not like it, many would sure like to get a full flight simulator for free. But lets better be realistic.

Also, I don't think Microsoft will not release a SDK. They will likely release it for free, but take about $90 per release for including it into their official Flight shop. You then get 70% of the sales there, 30% go to Microsoft. This model works for mobile phones so well and is pretty accepted by customers and developers, I don't think Microsoft will not try to capitalize on that market. This might even mean that the commercial add-ons stay at the same price as for FSX, since the extra costs are well compensated by the infrastructure from Microsoft and the shorter connection to the customer.

Last edited: