Favorite Orbiter 2010 Feature

Kevon Daye

Smoking Crater
Reaction score
What's your favorite new feature in 2010. Mine is how you have to be at a 15 degree angle to maximize the effectiveness of the OMS engines (like you would in real life because their tilted 15 degrees)

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'd say the new HUD. It looks much cooler, is easier to read, and the most important: I can see it with Anti-Aliasing enabled (was a huge problem with 2006 for me).

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The new exhaust textures. :p

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Besides the visual upgrades, i just love the interactive challenges and the whole new "window" that the lua script has opened.

Interactive tutorials, challenges, playbacks, autopilots...etc.

Has anyone managed to do challenge 4?

I did manage to land on Earth but nowhere near KSC. (Not on "land" either).
But since this was only on my 4th attempt, i guess there's a lot of room for improvement.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I love flying with the standard MFDs when doing LEO flights, so easily my fav is the improved Map MFD. Multiple orbits and night/day display was badly needed for that MFD. Awesome stuff!

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
My favorite is the vastly improved framerate on Vista and Windows 7, particularly when using the external DirectX 7 graphics client (D3D7Client) with Orbiter_NG. :thumbup:

EDIT:
I also quite like the new "Disable hardware pageflip" checkbox in the full-screen video mode section of the launchpad. Many users (myself included) have reported that clicking that fixes the white flashes that often occur under Windows Vista/Windows 7 in full-screen mode.

Last edited:

Hmuda

Reaction score
The amazignly reduced loading times. Before, the program loaded everything in the scenario, whether it was immediately necessary or not. Now it only loads what is needed at the start (the nearby ground textures and objects around the launch site), the rest are streamed when appropriate (like the Mars textures would only load when approaching Mars).

Now if I load up on a truckload of addons and texture replacements (which will come eventually in huge numbers), I won't have to wait minutes to start the simulation, it's just a few seconds and I'm ready to fly.

Last edited:

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The textures!! Oh the beautiful textures! As in the level 11+ with the new Mars. Mars looks REALLY good.

and Map MFD..

:cheers:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
The radiation pressure simulation opens the door for a lot of new, innovative addons based on this method of propulsion.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I love flying with the standard MFDs when doing LEO flights, so easily my fav is the improved Map MFD. Multiple orbits and night/day display was badly needed for that MFD. Awesome stuff!
This! The improvements to Map MFD eliminated a lot of guesswork.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i really do enjoy the new map MFD... im also very amazed by the new visuals, specially with the L14 textures :blink: what a sight!

yet, the Lua support will probably prove itself the greatest feature of all, over the next few billion addons :p

and i have yet to look deeper into the SDK upgrades - its looking sweeeet!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
This! The improvements to Map MFD eliminated a lot of guesswork.

Haha doesn't it! With the old one it took lots of trial and error learning how to judge your reentry only using the Map MFD. I got pretty good at it and could hit my target every time. With the new one I also noticed the increased zoom levels and new indicators which I have yet to even read about!! :)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah, so I'm not the only one! :)
The new MapMFD was my favourite blessing, followed by the glorious new textures. I've also noticed that the way ships dock in Orbiter is much smoother now. What exactly was changed? (If it's in the manual, please hit me on the head with a 134-page printout of it :p)

The new Docking HUD is also much more intuitive. The arrow points towards -V instead of V! :thumbup:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I like the new way of docking, it's much slower and more realistic.

And I like the Attitude RCS MFD.