Discussion The meaning of new features in Orbiter

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I've created this thread because I haven't found anything similar. I'd like to ask if there are published some explanations about new features added into Orbiter. I mean Orbiter on github. For example, today I've seen a very interesting thing:
Знімок екрана з 2024-01-08 00-13-20.png
So, I'm wondering how it works, namely how this changed the tile structure of the planet terrain textures. Integrated TerrainToolBox module currently shows tiles with a maximum resolution up to level 19.

And I really want to ask how possible and difficult could it be to make MIP mapping for planet textures? At least for the local area (base).

Sorry for my impatience :)

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have forgotten to update the TerrainToolKit. Increase of resolution was mostly to increase elevation resolution to make existing high-res elevation files to work. This update doesn't change tile structure or how things work. It just enables higher resolution.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
That is, if we have tiles up to level 19, then we create tiles of levels 20, 21, and these two last levels will just be visible at a closer distance. So, the maximum distance from which the tiles of level 19 are visible has not been changed, but the minimum distance for the level 19 has been actually changed from zero to some value (from which the tile of level 20 is visible). Yes?
I have forgotten to update the TerrainToolKit.
What is exactly what I thought. This tool is just very convenient and clear for understanding. Hope you will update it. Thanks so much!

Last edited:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So, the maximum distance from which the tiles of level 19 are visible has not been changed, but the minimum distance for the level 19 has been actually changed from zero to some value (from which the tile of level 20 is visible). Yes?
Nothing has changed in tile visibility distances. Old textures are 100% compatible.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I just meant that now it should be defined two new variables, namely two distances on which tiles of the new levels of 20 and 21 apppear visible. Well, hope a visualization in TerrainToolKit will help me to understand how these two new levels work.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Just interesting, what could be the reason why the Utils directory of OpenOrbiter contains only three applications, whereas Orbiter 2016 has a lot more? For example, DxTex.exe isn't presented in OpenOrbiter Utils directory.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just interesting, what could be the reason why the Utils directory of OpenOrbiter contains only three applications, whereas Orbiter 2016 has a lot more? For example, DxTex.exe isn't presented in OpenOrbiter Utils directory.

Maybe because it isn't open source?