New Release D3D9Client Development

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
@GLS How about a scenario so we can also test the problem ?
It might be dependent on camera angle, field of view or position. Or the view (internal, external, etc).
Having others taking a look is less work for jarmonik and might uncover more data about the situation ;)

GLS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
@GLS How about a scenario so we can also test the problem ?
It might be dependent on camera angle, field of view or position. Or the view (internal, external, etc).
Having others taking a look is less work for jarmonik and might uncover more data about the situation ;)
No special setup needed IMO... just take a DG and fly low and/or land at Edwards.
I can make a scenario if it is really needed, but the "trick" here seems to be the high resolution Antelope valley addon, as things look OK at in Florida.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
The only thing I notice on Edwards is that the high resolution textures are limited to very small area. They popup as I fly low.
I don't see any other problem.
But I'm using "linear interpolation" since that's the one that works with AMSO and other addons.

jarmonik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
users.kymp.net
I have the Antelope valley addon from Martin, which should be "near" the official Orbiter download location.
Ok, Thanks. I can reproduce the issue with that one. Here's a new D3D9Client.dll could you check if the problem is fixed ?

Attachments

Reactions: GLS

GLS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, Thanks. I can reproduce the issue with that one. Here's a new D3D9Client.dll could you check if the problem is fixed ?
That appears to fix it! No issues at EDW or anywhere else, thanks!

But standby as I think I found another issue (not terrain related)

GLS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK, this one seems an Orbiter bug:
  • load a scenario with a "Context XYZ" entry
  • exit to the launch pad, but don't close it
  • load another scenario, this one without the "Context" entry
  • MOGE CTD, D3D9 loads as if "Context XYZ" was in the scenario

Nothing in the Orbiter.log, but the D3D9 log has several lines of
[ERROR] Base Object 0x253A460 = 'Zaragoza' not cataloged
for the "Context XYZ" surface bases.

Looks like something isn't being initialized between 2 runs in the same session.

BTW, running Orbiter 2016.

yitianetie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A question to Jarmonik and eventually others about a very old issue : From the long time you hardly work on this awesome graphical client, have you found some solutions to fix "floating" shadows from generic building above the terrain ? I cannot bear to see them while landing on the earth, so that I prefer to disable shadows 😁. But as I see, it seems to be only related to generic building (those provided in Orbiter 2016) and especially on sharp terrain. And curiously, those same buildings can be crossed by sunlight.

Sorry for the inconvenience 😄

Attachments

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A question to Jarmonik and eventually others about a very old issue : From the long time you hardly work on this awesome graphical client, have you found some solutions to fix "floating" shadows from generic building above the terrain ? I cannot bear to see them while landing on the earth, so that I prefer to disable shadows 😁. But as I see, it seems to be only related to generic building (those provided in Orbiter 2016) and especially on sharp terrain. And curiously, those same buildings can be crossed by sunlight.

Sorry for the inconvenience 😄

The sunlight crossing through buildings, that is a side effect of the lens flare post processing filter. I recommend not using that processing filter. Instead, use the LightGlow filter, which gives a pseudo-HDR effect, or no filter at all.

The other issue with shadows, it is still there. Surface base object shadows do not map to the terrain properly. Plus, surface base objects do not seem to be affected by distance fog in atmosphere. I remember there was a discussion about z-buffer bug with rendering surface base objects? That issue does not seem to be fixed yet.