OHM Crew Dragon for Orbiter2016

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think Don's problem is the linear rate in the CFG. The linear rate drops if you open PursuitMFD while already docked to another vessel, because it calculates the optimal(?) rate for the total mass of the stack.

Don try this:

While undocked from the station:

Press MOD to go to the "Welcome select mode" screen
Press CFG and then RAT.
Press l 0.5 0.5 0.5 (or whatever rate you want)
(l = lower case L, for (l)inear)

Now BCK, DOC, TGT, iss, LDK, 1, TDK, 1 (or the # dock you want), DIS, 0 0 200 (or any distance you want to line-up) and APD to engage the AP.

If you see the MSG "NO ROLL" or "KILL ROLL" on the right lower corner, press NOR until it goes away.

Once there, press DIS again and set it to 0 0 -1 (this is to avoid getting "stuck" at 0.0001 meters from the dock, which happens sometimes).

Your docking AP should work as intended now.

Still no joy. How long does it take to dock from 30 meters out.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
I am not sure if I understood that right: Towards the end of the launch live stream, I think it was mentioned they have to open the nose cover, as the orbit-changing maneuvers will will done with 4 axial thrusters hidden under the nose cover.

Did I understand that right?

It would make sense as axial thrusters have no cosine-loss of their thrust vectors.
Also, it might help to explain why I fail miserably trying the Demo2-scenario by running out of fuel before docking. :hmm:

Tim13

Reaction score
the ISS A to Z is super and one of the best addons for orbiter. Still would like to see a real time tracking of it and a complete model with all the attached vehicles would be great.

This is why I haven't tried to install it yet. The successful launch of Endeavour though has my pretty fired up now, so I think I'll give it a go this week.

It truly is beautiful from the pictures I've seen.

I'm guessing a second fresh install of 2016 is the way to go.....I've got terabytes to spare.

Tim

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am not sure if I understood that right: Towards the end of the launch live stream, I think it was mentioned they have to open the nose cover, as the orbit-changing maneuvers will will done with 4 axial thrusters hidden under the nose cover.

Did I understand that right?

It would make sense as axial thrusters have no cosine-loss of their thrust vectors.
Also, it might help to explain why I fail miserably trying the Demo2-scenario by running out of fuel before docking. :hmm:
Yes indeed, Donamy's new version (ready fairly soon I hope) has 4 axial Dracos under the nose cone. But you should have plenty of fuel to do the DM-2 mission with the current version. I'm at the ISS with >50% fuel remaining - but then I used the Falcon9 upperstage for the plane change.
Cheers,
Brian

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
... but then I used the Falcon9 upperstage for the plane change.

Ah yes, thanks! I forgot to steer the second stage to minimize the orbital plane difference. With steering I had < 0.5° misalignment which is easy to correct with the Dragon's thrusters. Made it now to the ISS. :thumbup:

Tim13

Reaction score
@BrianJ

Quick question for you. I installed the "Donamy and Thorton ISS" along with the Falcon and Crew Dragon. I took your scenario for the DM2 launch, deleted the ISS in your file, and replaced it with the D&T ISS. Everything is there, and works perfectly.

My question is can you help me update the orbital elements for the D&T ISS so that it's in the correct position for your scenario? I've used Orbiter on and off for a couple of decades now, and I'm stumped.

Thanks,

Tim

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
@BrianJ

Quick question for you. I installed the "Donamy and Thorton ISS" along with the Falcon and Crew Dragon. I took your scenario for the DM2 launch, deleted the ISS in your file, and replaced it with the D&T ISS. Everything is there, and works perfectly.

My question is can you help me update the orbital elements for the D&T ISS so that it's in the correct position for your scenario? I've used Orbiter on and off for a couple of decades now, and I'm stumped.

Thanks,

Tim
Hi Tim,
I'm not sure how D&T ISS is put together - I assume it's many vessels docked/attached. I'm not sure how its going to work for docked vessels.
You need to copy/paste the RPOS and RVEL vectors in my scenario, into your scenario for D&T ISS - but if is there is no single "mother" vessel that everything else hangs off, I'm not sure how other docked vessels will react if they all have the same RPOS/RVEL. You can try!
You also need to copy the Date MJD xxxxxx.xxxxx line at the top of the scenario. Maybe Don or Thorton can answer better?

Does anyone have plan to update the visuals on the new Dragon 2 MFD's ?
Hi,
the control panel will be much as you see in some of Don's latest screenshots. At some point I hope to make a dedicated MFD for Dragon ops, but it will look much the same as other MFD's. Best I can do :)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You can do it with the "Scenario Editor TLE" found on OH.

1 Goto https://heavens-above.com/orbit.aspx?satid=25544&lat=0&lng=0&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=UCT to get the two-line orbital elements.

2 Find or create a folder in the Orbiter directory /TLE converter. Copy and paste the two-line elements into a .txt file, name it "Zarya.tle" (without the quotes) place file in the TLE converter folder.

4 Make sure "Scenario Editor TLE" is checked in the modeles page. If you want to run the Simulator real time, place a semi-colon in front of the Date in the scenario and save it. Otherwise the elements will be set for that date.

5 Start Orbiter with ISS scenario. Press F4 and click on "Function". Select the "Scenario Editor TLE" plugin, click OK. Scroll down to Zaryaclosed. Select it, then click on "Edit". Click on "State Vectors". Open the Frame tab on the right,click on the down arrow and choose "fixed". Now click on "Load TLE", which will open a search window. Find the folder with the "Zarya.tle" file in it and open it. Click OK, then "Apply". The ISS should now be in the correct position for the Date in the scenario.

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey Don did you figure out the pursuit.mfd problem yet,I am just wondering if it is a vessel builder problem,and means we can’t use it in your unreleased version of the Dragon crew capsule,if it is a problem with the VB then we should let fred18 know so maybe he can fix it.Thanks

ThBaron

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Copy and paste the two-line elements into a .txt file, name it "Zarya.tle" (without the quotes) place file in the TLE converter folder.

The TLE-file needs a header-line otherwise the Scenario Editor TLE will answer with an error loading the file. For example:

ISS (ZARYA)
1 25544U 98067A 20154.85125762 .00002004 00000-0 43906-4 0 9990
2 25544 51.6443 59.4222 0002071 22.0017 92.6243 15.49416742229799

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hey Don did you figure out the pursuit.mfd problem yet,I am just wondering if it is a vessel builder problem,and means we can’t use it in your unreleased version of the Dragon crew capsule,if it is a problem with the VB then we should let fred18 know so maybe he can fix it.Thanks

I think Brian tried the VB1 version, and it worked for him.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think Brian tried the VB1 version, and it worked for him.
Yes, works OK for me, even if I leave the Drogue_door and Mains_door masses at 1000kg in their .cfg's. Not sure what is going on with Don's set up.

Tim13

Reaction score
The TLE-file needs a header-line otherwise the Scenario Editor TLE will answer with an error loading the file. For example:

ISS (ZARYA)
1 25544U 98067A 20154.85125762 .00002004 00000-0 43906-4 0 9990
2 25544 51.6443 59.4222 0002071 22.0017 92.6243 15.49416742229799

Ahhhhh....that's exactly what was happening when I tried it this morning. I'll give it another go in a bit after lunch :thumbup:

@Donamy Thank you so much for helping me out. That is quite the process, and I doubt I would have figured it out on my own. You saved me a bunch of time. Very much appreciated sir. You taught a man to fish today. :salute:

Tim

Last edited:

icycle1000

Reaction score
An Easy as 1-2-3 guide up to the ISS (with Dragon)

Hello Orbanauts from an xPlane pilot (who loves space flight) ...

Ever since SpaceX began launching, I've been wanting to do a flight up to the ISS. There are more than a few videos about using the IMFD, but very few on getting to the ISS. If anyone has the desire to do an Up to the ISS for super beginners, then that would be nice.

Yes, I've see the ones that are already on YouTube, but imagine you are not the experts you are and try to work through them.

Thanks !!

Kinga

Reaction score
Hi Brian, I used your DM2 scenario but the ISS is way off. None of the three ground tracks go anywhere near KSC and the ISS itself is over Turkey at launch time . I can't understand why since your Scenario includes the orbital elements of what the ISS was on the 27th May. Could it be my Earth that is different to the one you are using?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Hi Brian, I used your DM2 scenario but the ISS is way off. None of the three ground tracks go anywhere near KSC and the ISS itself is over Turkey at launch time . I can't understand why since your Scenario includes the orbital elements of what the ISS was on the 27th May. Could it be my Earth that is different to the one you are using?

FYI - Try the DM-2 scenario I created in my SpaceX Mission Package.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
this happens if you use the scenario for the 27th May, and change the MJD date entry to 30th May.

Try the scenario for the 30th May I posted here:
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=606822&postcount=159
(Or Kyle's Mission pack scenario)

My scenario uses Cartesian state vectors, not orbital elements. ISS state vectors are only correct for the date/time entry in the scenario.

FYI You could use "Scenario Editor" to change the date/time during simulation, it will propagate the orbit to the new date/time.

Hope that helps,
Brian