What is the most crappy scifi ever?

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I liked Chronicles of Riddick, I thought it was a very Conan the Barbarianish kind of story.

That brings to mind yet more bad SciFi (though clearly not the worst):

Predator

Plus it has the distinction of having two future governors in it. I've never researched it but I doubt any other movie can claim that!

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'd have to say that one of the better movies I've seen in the last decade was Solaris. It was a scifi setting that didn't dwell to much on the technology and was almost entirely story driven.

I'm not a big fan of whats-his-name ( lead actor ) but I found the movie itself to be riviting. I liked it enough to buy a proper copy. ( and that's saying something ! :rofl:)

Spicer

Reaction score
Have to tell you...the worst of all time "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai in the 8th Dimension."

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Piece of dialogue that proves Riddick far superior to Star Wars:

Guard: You'll kill us... with a soup cup?
Riddick: Tea, actually.
Guard: What's that?
Riddick: I'll kill you with my teacup.
[Kills guards in bloody battle]
Kyra: Death by tea cup.
[Pulls cup out of dead guard's chest]
Kyra: Damn. Why didn't I think of that?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Belisarius: Don't forget that the scene ends with Riddick putting a church key at the place where the tea cup was before. :lol:

Which is more subversive for Sci-Fi as anything else: We are many thousand years in the future in another solar system - and people still use such a primitive piece of metal for opening their cans - and still use cans. ;)

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Piece of dialogue that proves Riddick far superior to Star Wars:

Guard: You'll kill us... with a soup cup?
Riddick: Tea, actually.
Guard: What's that?
Riddick: I'll kill you with my teacup.
[Kills guards in bloody battle]
Kyra: Death by tea cup.
[Pulls cup out of dead guard's chest]
Kyra: Damn. Why didn't I think of that?

I thought Riddick was an action, not a comedy!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I thought Riddick was an action, not a comedy!

All good action movies have a comedy element. ;) Even Rambo.

Does somebody remember Terminator 3? (Which is, IMHO the smartest of all three parts as it really takes the time travel theme serious - though it can be argued if it was also the best of all three movies) The scene where the Terminator got his clothes and put the stolen sunglasses on? while village people's "macho man" was played in the background?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
About Dune, there are two movies based on this book, the one from the 80's and a more recent one done by the SciFi Channel, which I believe is the better film. It doesn't have as much mysterious nonsense and seems easier to follow.
Well, I have a rather strange relationship to the whole Dune-buisness. I read the first book and absolutely loved it. I read the second and didn't even finish it... Allthough Herbert stayed true to the characters, the whole holy war buisness taking place just couldn't match the epicness of the struggle taking place on Arrakis in the fisrt one...

For the movies, well... I don't generally like it when everything has to be epic just to be interesting (a common flaw with action-movies nowadays), but when a story was truly epic, then let the movie be as epic as epic can be. And "Dune" was a book far more epic than e.g. Lord of the Rings.

So I like the lynch version a lot more. Lynch is a very visual director, and letting Toto do most of the soundtrack was ingenius. The look and sound of that movie just cry "EPIC!!" in every scene, the Harkonens are depicted in an utterly perverse way as the came out of the book, and the main score is just a blow away. Especially if you, like me, saw the movie rather late and emidiately realise that you have heard that theme allready multiple times in your live, covered from bands like Satyricon and Saviour Machine... I just felt right at home.

It s true, the movie takes a lot of liberties when it comes to story, and if you don't know the book, you barely realise what's going on. Also, in the end they had kind of a rush, but they needed to be detailed in the beginning, because otherwise you would understand even less of what's going on...

I saw the other version too, it is longer and therewith has more time to go into details, follows the story pretty close... they just lacked the budget for the real epicness.

The Lynch version may not be very close to the book in terms of story telling... however it just FEELS like the book. And that rain in the end may also raise several logical problems, but it's dramaturgicaly perfect. Made me shiver.

Anyways, I consider Dune fantasy rather than SF.

StarLost

Reaction score
That movie did have a great cast, Max von Sydow, the skipper form Das Boot as Duke Leto, I even enjoyed Kyle Maclachlan (but hell I liked Twin Peaks too so maybe I'm an unreliable source).

EDIT: Oooh I forgot, Patrick Stewart :)

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk. At least look up on IMDB to ensure the right names.

Max Von Sydow was a good choice for that particular role, and a great actor, to boot.

But ... Jurgen Prochnow was the Captain in Das Boot.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Saviour Machine. Wow. Been a long time since I heard them. Never made the connection with the Dune score though. I'll have to listen more closely for that now.

@Andy44 regarding Chronicles of Riddick - I agree with your Conan comparison. I think that's one aspect that draws me to this movie.

Here's another one for the crappy list. When I was about 13 I watched a dog of a movie on USA Network called Mission Mars (1968). Synopsis: Three American astronauts who land on Mars discover the body of a frozen Russian cosmonaut and a mysterious talking orb.

Talk about crappy. In one of the scenes inside their Mars "lander," you can clearly see in the background behind the astronaut that the interior of the lander is made of....plywood!!!! My father and I always joked after that when we were watching a bad sci-fi movie and judge just how "B-grade" they were based on whether they were flying plywood spaceships. LOL
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063311/

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Jürgen Prochnow was Duke Leto Atreides in the first Dune movie. ;)

And he played the General Ivan Radick in "Airforce One"...was in Judge Dredd, Wing Commander... his Filmography is a good collection of bad sci-fi. :lol:

Though I must say, none of the later Hollywood roles EVER reached his performance in "Das Boot".

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
All in all, I think the hardest part of reading a scifi book or watching a movie is suspending my disbelief and general knowledge of physics long enough to actualy enjoy it without picking it apart while doing so.

That's probably why Larry Niven is one of my favorite SciFi authors. He goes to great lengths to make his work as scietificly accurate as possible even when dealing with "gee-whiz" drives and other technology.

Just about any Niven book is going to be a good read for an Orbinaught.

" What can you say about chocolate covered man-hole covers ? "

Bullethead

Reaction score
Website
www.stormeaglestudios.com
Have to tell you...the worst of all time "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai in the 8th Dimension."

Aw man, that's my 2nd favorite movie of all time, right after the "Holy Grail". They're rather similar, actually. "Buckaroo" was never intended to be anything except silly, it had some silly lines, and I think of it as Lithgow's best work :).

Laugha whila you can, Monkeyboy!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why do all people forget "Battlefield Earth"... :lol:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Saviour Machine. Wow. Been a long time since I heard them. Never made the connection with the Dune score though. I'll have to listen more closely for that now.
Let's see how well my memory works... the track should be from Legend II, "the sixth seal" if I'm not mistaken...

Why do all people forget "Battlefield Earth"...
Because I never even heard of it??