What is the most crappy scifi ever?

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Feel free to mention books, movies, etc.

When I was a teen there was a movie called "Solar babies". It was translated as "guerreros al ataque" (Warriors attack).

A friend of mine who loved fantasy convinced us (group of friends to watch that movie).

It was about a dictatorship that had all water hidden and used that to control people. An alien puppet that seemed a cartoonish version of Yoda led a group of kids who used skateboards to free that planet...

That's the most stupid and crappy scifi I have ever seen...

Armageddon is very stupid too, but unfortunately Solar Babies won the prize for being the worst scifi ever...

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Without giving this much thought, so basicaly from the top of my head.
Starship Troopers 2
Armageddon, of course...
maybe more to follow

Moonwalker

Reaction score
Especially Star Trek, 2001, Armageddon & Independence Day. Such movies make some people believe that everything is possible and that NASA today already has much more technolgoies but it's all secret. The latest nonsense I was told by somebody at work is that in reality (?:blink:) the ISS is a secret military project. But the best thing I've ever heared of a person is that the Shuttle Columbia is a vehicle designed to fly to the Moon like Apollo did too. About 4 weeks ago a real philosopher told me that in his point of view the problem of flyling to Mars over such a long period of time can be solved by just using a rotating wheel like in 2001...

So I believe that such nonsense originates from science fiction like Armageddon, 2001 and so on. It seems to be rather easy to make people believe almost everything by some science fiction.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The worst kind of Sci-Fi, IMHO, is the uninspired, like for example Armageddon, but also the later star trek shows (everything past Next generation, which still had some great Sci-Fi moments in it). Minority Report for example, was also pretty uninspired.

If you mean crappy by the production and effects - Nothing will beat Ijon Tichy, a German TV production. Low budget, lots of humor and a great fun to watch, as the people involved obviously also had lots of fun.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
There was on TV, guess it, Disney, that was about some Chick named Zenon or something. It was horrible, and now kids think thats what we do in Space. I about vomited at the poor acting and Unrealistic actions.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Independence Day was by far the worst for many reasons.

Plan 9 from Outer Space was pretty bad, too - but possibly campy enough to make it worth watching.

The fascist revision of Brazil must be nodded at as well. A happy ending? No wonder Terry's knickers got in a twist.

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Doth mine eyes deceive me, or did someone here just describe "2001" as crap?

I will retaliate with "Event Horizon". What on earth was that about?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
event horizon would have been an alright horror if they didn't feel the need for the comedy interludes.

and yeah, lol way to rag on one of the finest films ever.:)

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just watched Armageddon again OH MY GOD is it stupid, especially in german.
They seperate SRBs and ET at the same time, Mir rotates like hell, the asteroid has an atmosphere..................................

Moonwalker

Reaction score
Just watched Armageddon again OH MY GOD is it stupid, especially in german.
They seperate SRBs and ET at the same time, Mir rotates like hell, the asteroid has an atmosphere..................................

That's why I don't like such movies at all. It makes people who don't know really much about the solar system and manned space flight believe anything... but sadly not the right things :dry:

It's 99% crappy.

Contrariwise: Apollo 13 is not science fiction but it's a kind of movies I receive with cheers!

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
Armageddon is probably the crappiest sci-fi ever.

I also never got what the big deal about Star Wars is. I personally cannot stand it.

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Quick post:

movies only ...

Tied for worst ever in big-budget category: Independence Day and Armageddon.

Most disappointing screen adaptation of a good book: Starship Troopers, which is also number two on the absolute crap list.

Best ever in any category: 2001; second place: Contact

Best in "adventure science fiction" (far lower "magic physics standard" applies): Alien/Aliens (with all subsequent films in the series close to the bottom of the heap); tied with Terminator/Terminator2 (ditto re subsequent films as crrrrrap)

Best in "social science fiction" (also held to lower standard of "magic physics): Blade Runner.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Quick post:

movies only ...

Tied for worst ever in big-budget category: Independence Day and Armageddon.

Most disappointing screen adaptation of a good book: Starship Troopers, which is also number two on the absolute crap list.

Best ever in any category: 2001; second place: Contact

Best in "adventure science fiction" (far lower "magic physics standard" applies): Alien/Aliens (with all subsequent films in the series close to the bottom of the heap); tied with Terminator/Terminator2 (ditto re subsequent films as crrrrrap)

Best in "social science fiction" (also held to lower standard of "magic physics): Blade Runner.

Aww Greg, Alien 3 is a great, if misunderstood movie. I think it did badly because everyone expected something bigger than Aliens. given what the studios did to it, it's amazing that its as good as it is. Check out the special edition version, it's much better. though the editing is shaky at a point near the end, and the sound is messed up in one scene, why the studio couldn't have cleaned that up a bit more i'll never know.

everything else in the franchise after that has been pulpy ****e though for sure.

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Aww Greg, Alien 3 is a great, if misunderstood movie. I think it did badly because everyone expected something bigger than Aliens. given what the studios did to it, it's amazing that its as good as it is. Check out the special edition version, it's much better. though the editing is shaky at a point near the end, and the sound is messed up in one scene, why the studio couldn't have cleaned that up a bit more i'll never know.

everything else in the franchise after that has been pulpy ****e though for sure.

Was this the one where Ripley's clone had all her original's memories? More than I can take, I'm afraid. Or was that 4?

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Event Horizon most certainly belongs on this list. It was so bad, I'd blocked out the experience. I'm not sure whether to thank you or not for reminding me, Coolhand.

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Event Horizon most certainly belongs on this list. It was so bad, I'd blocked out the experience. I'm not sure whether to thank you or not for reminding me, Coolhand.

Only slightly off-topic:
When that god awful Will Smith movie "Wild West" came out, several of my friends went to see it. One of them remarked afterward:
"I would have paid another $7.50 to have that movie erased from my memory!"
That testament to just how bad a movie can be has stuck with me ever since.