Request very small intersteller spacecraft

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone could make very small intersteller spacecraft. we have intersteller spacecraft alredy. but in my new project(sorpendarin project) will shrink the planets to about 15 miles. i need small intersteller spacecraft.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Orbiter doesn't support interstellar flight. I don't see why you'd need an 'interstelller' vessel when something like the DG is quite capable of getting from Earth to Jupiter. Even if you shrink the solar system you won't be changing the dV requirements.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
IMHO the ShuttlePB is the vessel of choice there. It even beats the DG on the amount of Dv !

Now, I hope there is a stasis system to keep the pilot alive and unconscious during all those years to travel to Saturn... :lol:

Columbia42

Reaction score
If you really are looking for an interstellar vessel to use with an addon such as Orbiter Galaxy, I would suggest the new Daedalus interstellar probe. It's not tiny but you won't find anything smaller than that that is realistic to any degree.
Daedalus: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5646"]Daedalus Interstellar Probe[/ame]

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
we have intersteller spacecraft alredy. but in my new project(sorpendarin project) will shrink the planets to about 15 miles. i need small intersteller spacecraft.

I said it already, but I'm just going to say it again: shrinking the scale is not going to change the behaviour of the orbiter physics engine (not even the behaviour of the camera). I know what you want to do (shrinking scales uniformly to avoid double-precision problems), but I can only repeat myself: It just won't work. 1m will always stay one meter, 1 kg 1 kg, and 1 m/s will always stay 1 m/s, and even if you scale your ship down, that does not mean that the distances will increase. It just doesn't work that way, sorry.

But for what it's worth, there's a very simple solution to prove my point: Spacecraft3 supports scaling, so you can scale down any spacecraft3 vessel by adding the Scale modifier to the .ini file (refer to the spacecraft3 documentation for further details).

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
Orbiter doesn't support interstellar flight. I don't see why you'd need an 'interstelller' vessel when something like the DG is quite capable of getting from Earth to Jupiter. Even if you shrink the solar system you won't be changing the dV requirements.

my sorpendarin project is intersteller capable. but it shrinks down planets so thats why the ships need to be small

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
it doesn't matter how small the ship is or how small the planets are the scale stays the same.

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
If you really are looking for an interstellar vessel to use with an addon such as Orbiter Galaxy, I would suggest the new Daedalus interstellar probe. It's not tiny but you won't find anything smaller than that that is realistic to any degree.
Daedalus: Daedalus Interstellar Probe

i looked at that but the only reason i want them small is because i want to shrink the planets and i want to have ships to scale

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
it doesn't matter how small the ship is or how small the planets are the scale stays the same.
Very true.

Sorpendarin: I understand that you're very young and enthusiastic, but please do listen to those with much more experience than you. Understand that 1 m will always be 1 m . So even you shrink the entire solar system to avoid the double precision problems associated with interstellar/intergalactic distances, you're still going to have issues.

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
Very true.

Sorpendarin: I understand that you're very young and enthusiastic, but please do listen to those with much more experience than you. Understand that 1 m will always be 1 m . So even you shrink the entire solar system to avoid the double precision problems associated with interstellar/intergalactic distances, you're still going to have issues.

:( i wish this worked