Request Single Person Spacecraft

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would like to see a Genesis Single Person Spacecraft in Orbiter, which is the continuation of NASAs Flexcraft concept.

This document here contains many useful details, that could be used for getting the spacecraft some more feeling than being just a larger MMU.

Basically, it is all the same as in the MMU, the thrusters have the same reference thrust, the total DV is about the same (12 m/s).

The most important aspect would be the two robot arms that allow manipulating small objects. Those should operate using attachments to manipulate small objects in space. They are controlled by two special telerobotics controllers in the VC, a similar way to control it by keyboard would be useful.

The SPS should have a VC with three standard Orbiter MFDs, a translational controller to the left and a rotational controller to the right. The life support vitals should have their own analog displays on the left(port) side of the VC, colocated with their sensors, allowing them to operate independently (maybe on battery power) even if most of the spacecraft is dark and cold. Those sensors are:

• Oxygen partial pressure
  • Total cabin pressure
  • Cabin temperature
  • Relative moisture
  • CO2 partial pressure
  • CO detector
  • Smoke detector
More detailled information should go into a vessel-specific MFD, like the status of the various life-support systems and tanks. We need no special navigation display or MFD modes, since the range is very limited. Docking to the station would require Docking MFD, since there is not visibility down.

A life support simulation of a single human astronaut operating it would be great, but not mandatory. The document describes a pretty nice number of contigency modes for the SPS.

Ideally, the propellant available should be presented by the pressure in the two tanks (Use boyles law).

The original engineering drawings don't show it, but please consider adding one or two cupholders (or bottle holders).

If possible, consider adding an automatic docking autopilot, which automatically docks the SPS to the nearest docking port in sight, as seen from the bottom of the spacecraft, within 10 meters.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I made a flex craft. Let me see if I can find it.

I wasn't sure if it existed. A quick search here found no results, maybe it wasn't released as standalone add-on. :)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here it is. I built it for 2010 it works in 2016. But it was built for UMMU and UCGO. So you will get that error. No VC or interior. All 3 arm work.

Attachments

• flexcraft1.jpg
    flexcraft1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 53
  • flexcraftvessel.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 4

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I found my files form 2014. So I can start on this. So a hatch in the bottom.
I wonder if it opens into or out?
The VC. 3 mfds. I guess then buttons need to be coded for the 3 MFD.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I found my files form 2014. So I can start on this. So a hatch in the bottom.
I wonder if it opens into or out?

The SPS documentation doesn't talk much about the hatch beyond its existence and the optimal shape (oval). Same for the Flexcraft papers on the NTRS. So, I can't tell you something reliable.

One thing is sure: If the hatch is manually operated, the spacecraft would require a second astronaut to open and close it. It is possible to turn around in the SPS cockpit and approach the hatch head first, according to tests in the pool, but I doubt its the usual way things will be done - its simpler with four hands. So, it makes sense to have controls for opening and closing it on both sides.

Thus, as long as nothing contrary is known, I would assume it to follow the same design rules as all hatches in spacecraft and it opens inwards. Maybe similar to the PMA hatches.

The VC. 3 mfds. I guess then buttons need to be coded for the 3 MFD.

Yes, I think that would be the better choice there. Use Orbiters build-in capabilities as long as possible.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
 Ingress/Egress(feet first)through the oval (23 in. x 15.5 in.) (0.6 m x 0.4 m) opening was also possible for all test subjects.

On the VC mfd. Buttons and screen will be needed on all 3. No HUD.

The exterior is similar to flexcraft. RCS is at the top and bottom and has a drawer.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The exterior is similar to flexcraft. RCS is at the top and bottom and has a drawer.

Yes. The only major outside evolution since Flexcraft had been the addition of MMOD panels around the lower part. Most big changes happened inside, like the N2O emergency pressurization system, that can also be used as emergency propellant.

The propulsion system is essentially that of an MMU with twice the tank capacity.

Does CameraMFD work under Orbiter 2016?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does CameraMFD work under Orbiter 2016?
YES. I used it with the STS2016. Looks like there may be a version without the black panels and just 2 arms. and an open front. The crown is different than the Flexcraft.

Attachments

• GENESIS.jpg
    GENESIS.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 11
  • SPS1.jpg
    SPS1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 10
  • SPS2.jpg
    SPS2.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 11
  • spsinternal1.jpg
    spsinternal1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 11
  • SPS-with-OR-logo-1024x768.jpg
    SPS-with-OR-logo-1024x768.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 11

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Some progress

Attachments

• sps3.jpg
    sps3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 11
  • sps2.jpg
    sps2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 11
  • sps1.jpg
    sps1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 11

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
More stuff. VC 3 mfds. Not sure any thing is needed.

Next will be the 2 arms.

Attachments

• sps5.jpg
    sps5.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 8
  • SPSINTERIOR1.jpg
    SPSINTERIOR1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 8

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, there had been two controllers for the robot arms, though i am not sure, if you can animate those. And also a rotational and one translational hand controller. To the left of the VC had been the sensors together with simple dials for the life support system. Those had been kept very simple, just a wall of boxes, with each box being a sensor and its associated indicators.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The two controllers are there just not seen in the image.

I almost thought that the sensors dial could be under the side MFD.

No really on the animations arms controls. Those look to be the gray structure in front of the MFD

Attachments

• spsgauges.jpg
    spsgauges.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 8

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
1665409168626.png

Take a look here, at this figure. it also shows which kind of controllers the arms should be using.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
About how such controllers look like, this is the manufacturer of the controller that NASA used during their surgery demo:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It looks like the the displays are behind the MFDs?

I wonder which arm controller to build they would be static.

Attachments

• spsinternal2.jpg
    spsinternal2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 2

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There are some indicators and switches between the MFDs, yes. But I can't tell you exactly, what is there. With artistic licence, I would say there are controls for the propulsion system between the top two MFDs and controlls for the remote manipulators below the center MFD. The controls for the emergency systems are likely towards the left, since they are mostly related to the life support system.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay. I guess just a series of fake static switches for them arms. Labeled joint 1,..... left arm,......

Another view. The arm controls really look like spheres on a triangle support.

In this view it looks like the MFD are against the front wall so not sure where the gauges,... would be?

Attachments

• spscontrols.jpg
    spscontrols.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 5