SSU Development Thread (3.0 to 4.0)

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Yes, but it still means that not everything in the simulation must be a nominal situation. Especially the BFS error messages that can be seen blinking there. Still, the tapes go life on SSME ignition, as it would happen with the old DDS.

Most, if not all, videos I've seen have C/W messages (MEDS and GPC), and I remember in one the instructor says it's a problem with the simulation save.
Yes, this is not the real vehicle, so it might not be 100% accurate, but when there's no concrete information, we have to go on something.
On top of this, the DPS Dictionary supports the video. Are you sure the data you have isn't for the MCDS cockpit?

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

I did. Three times because I wanted to be sure.

The only thing I see moving at ~T-6s is the SSME Pc meters.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The only thing I see moving at ~T-6s is the SSME Pc meters.

Did you use the vibrations or the event timer as reference? I used the latter.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
On top of this, the DPS supports the video. Are you sure the data you have isn't for the MCDS cockpit?

As far as I can tell so far, the majority of the GPC software did not change for the MEDS. The changes had mostly been kept minimal, in comparison to the planned CAU upgrade.

Especially GPC communications with DEUs and DDUs did not get replaced by new communications with the IDPs, instead the IDP did learn just 2 new instructions in comparison to the DEU for allowing the new navigation symbols in the PFD HSI. The rest remained the same. The DEU IPL had still been done by the GPC, but the majority of the data was dropped, only the static formats had been loaded into the IDP.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Event timer, and I also count down in my head.

As horrible musician, I never trust the count in my head. I used my android phone. :lol:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
As far as I can tell so far, the majority of the GPC software did not change for the MEDS. The changes had mostly been kept minimal, in comparison to the planned CAU upgrade.

Especially GPC communications with DEUs and DDUs did not get replaced by new communications with the IDPs, instead the IDP did learn just 2 new instructions in comparison to the DEU for allowing the new navigation symbols in the PFD HSI. The rest remained the same. The DEU IPL had still been done by the GPC, but the majority of the data was dropped, only the static formats had been loaded into the IDP.

You're probably right, and what you say is happening "behind the scenes", but if the data isn't displayed in MM101, it doesn't matter if it is available at T-30s or T-10s.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You're probably right, and what you say is happening "behind the scenes", but if the data isn't displayed in MM101, it doesn't matter if it is available at T-30s or T-10s.

That is not that simple - remember the concept of memory overlays.

A number of software tasks are enabled by flags set by the RSLS. For example when the IMUs are uncaged and allowed to freely move at T-30 seconds, the software processes for the IMU are also reacting to the changed state. Guidance internal means, that the navigation software is already processing the IMUs and observe the gimbal angles.

What changes at transition from MM101 to MM102 is the front-end application, the tasks and displays that are supporting it. SRB flight open loop guidance is commanding the shuttle, aerosurface load relief software is scheduled to wait for its trigger event, etc. For that, the preflight software is cancelled, the RSLS remains active as before, RM and SOPs are active with their subsystems. Navigation for example is resident in the whole G1, but it is only activating when the navigation sources are active.

Thus, the transition from 101 to 102 is no sudden change for the majority of the systems, as it is for the DPS displays. Rather a gradual sequence of changes in a short period of time.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
That is not that simple - remember the concept of memory overlays.

A number of software tasks are enabled by flags set by the RSLS. For example when the IMUs are uncaged and allowed to freely move at T-30 seconds, the software processes for the IMU are also reacting to the changed state. Guidance internal means, that the navigation software is already processing the IMUs and observe the gimbal angles.

What changes at transition from MM101 to MM102 is the front-end application, the tasks and displays that are supporting it. SRB flight open loop guidance is commanding the shuttle, aerosurface load relief software is scheduled to wait for its trigger event, etc. For that, the preflight software is cancelled, the RSLS remains active as before, RM and SOPs are active with their subsystems. Navigation for example is resident in the whole G1, but it is only activating when the navigation sources are active.

Thus, the transition from 101 to 102 is no sudden change for the majority of the systems, as it is for the DPS displays. Rather a gradual sequence of changes in a short period of time.

I don't doubt you, it's just that video and documentation say that the display, although incomplete, is not wrong.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Is there any word on when the old [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6389"]v2.0 entry[/ame] in Orbit Hangar is going to be replaced?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Sad to report I just found the first (major) 3.0 bug: Challenger has Columbia's black wing chines.
BTW: as we have separate textures, could we change the textures of Discovery to add what I call "Discovery's tear"? (black tiles below the PLT windows)
photo.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What about putting this quote of Charlie Bolden into the SSU manual?

The Space Shuttle had a 30 year run like none other. Four times I was blessed with the opportunity to travel to space aboard this marvelous spacecraft. There has never been a vehicle quite like it: a reusable spacecraft, with the beauty of an airplane, the capacity to carry eight astronauts to space and a 60-foot payload bay. The Shuttle’s three-decade long run was nothing short of remarkable.

(Source: WIRED: Congress, Don’t Make Us Hitch Rides With Russia. Love, NASA)

I think that there can be hardly a better official summary about this program.

EDIT: And another old idea rewarmed - what kind of support in the SSU modules would be needed to include simple short tutorial missions? Like how to program a OMS burn. Or the prelaunch preparations.

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
What about putting this quote of Charlie Bolden into the SSU manual?

(Source: WIRED: Congress, Don’t Make Us Hitch Rides With Russia. Love, NASA)

I think that there can be hardly a better official summary about this program.
I'll see it I can work it into the manual. Page 2 seems a good place.

EDIT: And another old idea rewarmed - what kind of support in the SSU modules would be needed to include simple short tutorial missions? Like how to program a OMS burn. Or the prelaunch preparations.
I'm not quite sure what you mean... I think a few video tutorials would help newbies in knowing that the APUs are started by flipping switch whatever on panel R2, and so on. All of this while following the checklists, so the user gets to see how they are used.
Or we could hire some (now) unemployed shuttle "teachers" to teach our users :lol:.

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
... Or we could hire some (now) unemployed shuttle "teachers" to teach our users :lol:.

I think I could do that, since I make trainings about the Shuttle in my simgroup (Remember that we use SSU and make full rendezvous missions, I think I have the knowledge).

It´s just switch from Spanish to English and record videos.

We can talk/plan about it.

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

As a user, this would something I'd get really excited over. An English explanation of doing everything correctly, not just hoping you're doing it right, along with some OMS, NC, etc. burn tutorials/examples would be excellent.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The Charlie Bolden quote has been added to the manual.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

I think I could do that, since I make trainings about the Shuttle in my simgroup (Remember that we use SSU and make full rendezvous missions, I think I have the knowledge).

I don't know what the rest of the team thinks, but if you could make a small video about how to make a simple OMS burn, that probably could serve as an "audition".

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I have no problem there, not even sure if an audition is really needed, since I hardly expect volunteers besieging us for that job.

I can't do videos yet, I am not even sure if I can explain some stuff. I want to do some more research about the PEG4 elements and draw some Inkscape schematic there about how to understand them.

And my German accent makes my English horrible. Would be better if I would sound like Till Lindemann.

Last edited:

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
The trainings we do on my simgroup are:

---Theory--- (One full video)
What is the Space Shuttle (Concept, parts, size, weights, why it "failed")
History about the Space Shuttle
Cockpit and Old flightdeck and new flightdeck

---Practice---
OPS2 Burns (One video)
RMS Manipulation (One video)
Docking (One video)
SPEC-34 Final rendezvous (how does it work) (One video)
Full rendezvous (Not on my simgroup because our astros just follow a calculated flightplan)
Prelaunch-Launch-Ascent-Insertion procedures (One video with Table of contents)
Prelaunch-RSLS Abort (One video)
Landing (TAEM) (One video)
Reentry (OPS-3 Transition, Deorbit, Entry and TAEM) (One video with Table of contents)

I can begin recording this series of videos by october with the last stable SSU 3.0

Thank you

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Sad to report I just found the first (major) 3.0 bug: Challenger has Columbia's black wing chines.
BTW: as we have separate textures, could we change the textures of Discovery to add what I call "Discovery's tear"? (black tiles below the PLT windows)
photo.jpg

Atlantis and Endeavour have "tears" too

View attachment 13927

View attachment 13928

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes they do, as did Columbia and Challenger, but Discovery has more black tiles there than all the others.

Correct, but for some reason only the the PLT side. Why is that I don't know. Maybe Endeavour was more prone to right hand S-turns during reentry? :lol: