SSU Development Thread (3.0 to 4.0)

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
GLS : how about pre launch sound can you add to the LCC code ?

About the sound, we are limited by the capabilities of OrbiterSound. If we are in vessel A, we can't hear the sounds produced by vessel B, even if it is right next to vessel A. Can't do much on that front without messing up the code. :shrug:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
About the sound, we are limited by the capabilities of OrbiterSound. If we are in vessel A, we can't hear the sounds produced by vessel B, even if it is right next to vessel A. Can't do much on that front without messing up the code. :shrug:
In this case, I think it would be acceptable to move the actual play code to the SSU vessel. The triggers could still be the in the SSU LCC vessel code though.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Everything will be made as close to the real things as possible, limited just be the reference data available.

Yes, but during fixing the OWP animation, I had seen some bigger differences there, which might fit into the next months towards 4.0

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In this case, I think it would be acceptable to move the actual play code to the SSU vessel. The triggers could still be the in the SSU LCC vessel code though.

Could be some lot of effort. Would need some event passing between vessels then.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, but during fixing the OWP animation, I had seen some bigger differences there, which might fit into the next months towards 4.0
What kind of differences? The new FSS is made according to the dimensions listed in the LC39B FSS/RSS Demolition Package.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Could be some lot of effort. Would need some event passing between vessels then.
Don't we already have this communication between the LCC and the shuttle to trigger the various events on the MLP/shuttle?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What kind of differences? The new FSS is made according to the dimensions listed in the LC39B FSS/RSS Demolition Package.

If you look at the photographs, the shape of the OWP strut is different. It is bend a bit differently, has a different pattern of the structural supports and has a catwalk running about in the middle.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34752951@N02/5895180475

Don't we already have this communication between the LCC and the shuttle to trigger the various events on the MLP/shuttle?

Yes, but we would need a system for passing local sound events around, with some delay. Not as easy as it sounds, but possible. But a lot of work for a small effect.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Could be some lot of effort.
I agree. We would still have to consider the user being in the pad or MLP vessels and listening to the APUs and SSMEs going away during launch... too much trouble IMO.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I agree. We would still have to consider the user being in the pad or MLP vessels and listening to the APUs and SSMEs going away during launch... too much trouble IMO.

Also simulating the shaking inside the MLP during launch would be too much effort before displaying the angel animation.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Also simulating the shaking inside the MLP during launch would be too much effort before displaying the angel animation.

Speaking of shaking: during the twang, in D3D9 only, the VC view shakes. Is that normal/planned or a bug?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Speaking of shaking: during the twang, in D3D9 only, the VC view shakes. Is that normal/planned or a bug?

Not sure, would need to check the code there. Some vibrations can be seen in videos.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Not sure, would need to check the code there. Some vibrations can be seen in videos.

Yes, the real one shakes. I'm talking about in SSU, using D3D9 only, there some (excessive IMO) shaking in the VC. I don't see anything obvious in the code, so my guess is D3D9 issue.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, the real one shakes. I'm talking about in SSU, using D3D9 only, there some (excessive IMO) shaking in the VC. I don't see anything obvious in the code, so my guess is D3D9 issue.

I agree - it also does not look realistic, it looks more like some mathematical glitch.

Also, I just checked something else: The PFD does not start to display increasingly more data on Guidance Init at T-30 seconds.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Also, I just checked something else: The PFD does not start to display increasingly more data on Guidance Init at T-30 seconds.

What should that data be? Both the data I have and the videos I've seen show that all is the correct (except our limited ADI, and the missing stuff in the HSI).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What should that data be? Both the data I have and the videos I've seen show that all is the correct (except our limited ADI, and the missing stuff in the HSI).

AFAIR, the ADI is enabled with uncaging of the IMUs and the tape indicators go live with the PASS DDU driver providing flight data around engine start. There are multiple different data formats used for the DDU, which are transmitted from different times in the final count on.

The current state until T-0 is really just the pre-T-30 state.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
AFAIR, the ADI is enabled with uncaging of the IMUs and the tape indicators go live with the PASS DDU driver providing flight data around engine start. There are multiple different data formats used for the DDU, which are transmitted from different times in the final count on.

The current state until T-0 is really just the pre-T-30 state.

Doesn't have much quality, but it's enough

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Are you really sure, that is a useful reference? The DPS screens are X-ed out in red in the beginning, which means that the GPCs are not communicating to the IDPs. Also, there are quite many BFS error messages during the final 30 seconds.

Also, if you follow the video, the tapes go live on -6 seconds, not zero.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Are you really sure, that is a useful reference? The DPS screens are X-ed out in red, which means that the GPCs are not communicating to the IDPs. Also, there are quite many BFS error messages.

Also, if you follow the video, the tapes go live on -6 seconds, not zero.
That's because the sim hasn't been started at that time. The sim-count started at T-2 minutes. As soon as the sim starts, the MDUs come alive with the rest of the systems. Remember, the only one familiar with the shuttle systems is Poindexter and he's in the CDR seat. So starting the count earlier (like T-9 minutes) would not have made any sense as the one in the PLT seat would have known how to execute the system activations required by the PLT (ESS BUS SOURCEs on and APUs started).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That's because the sim hasn't been started at that time. The sim-count started at T-2 minutes. As soon as the sim starts, the MDUs come alive with the rest of the systems. Remember, the only one familiar with the shuttle systems is Poindexter and he's in the CDR seat. So starting the count earlier (like T-9 minutes) would not have made any sense as the one in the PLT seat would have known how to execute the system activations required by the PLT (ESS BUS SOURCEs on and APUs started).

Yes, but it still means that not everything in the simulation must be a nominal situation. Especially the BFS error messages that can be seen blinking there. Still, the tapes go life on SSME ignition, as it would happen with the old DDS.