Sped up time?

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
So, i just fired up orbiter for the first im in a while. Whenever i try to go into orbit, it seems like orbiter is running at 10x and not 1x. The earth is flying by WAY to quickly for it to be 1x. I checked the time acceleration, and its not sped up any......help?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Remember that you're moving at mach 25 (~17,500 mph), and at that velocity you will orbit the Earth in about 90 minutes. You can verify that by starting the sim in orbit and noting your longitude on the map MFD. In 45 minutes you should be halfway around the globe and after 90 minutes you should be back at the same longitude as when you started.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Right. But before, at 1x, the earth seems to move extremely slowly, tho i could still kinda see it. Now, Africa will come and go in about...30 seconds...at "1x"

chris772

Reaction score
exactly his point. your moving very fast and africa would fly by at around 30 seconds.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Can you do a test for us? Get into orbit and time how long it takes you to make one orbit- without touching the time acceleration.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But then Africa'd be only 240 KM across. And that's assuming that he's noting when his ship was at a 90 degree angle to the coast line. That's also assuming that it truly is 30 seconds.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Can you do a test for us? Get into orbit and time how long it takes you to make one orbit- without touching the time acceleration.
What should my Apa be? And i assume Ecc should be 0

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Try 220km x 220km. Don't need to be too exact. It should be pretty obvious if there's a bug with the time accel and you're running at 10x.

Does it feel too fast when you're taking off/flying around the atmosphere? Or just when you're in orbit?

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
forgot to mention this part...
I was doing the "Lunar Transfer" Tutorial, and i was just following instructions. I took over the tutorial with Ctrl+c.
When i tried it with just the DG, it was normal. So i dont know if the tutorial is squed, or what

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
forgot to mention this part...
I was doing the "Lunar Transfer" Tutorial, and i was just following instructions. I took over the tutorial with Ctrl+c.
When i tried it with just the DG, it was normal. So i dont know if the tutorial is squed, or what

It is a playback, and within the playback, time compression is used. You can bypass this by pressing CTRL + F5, and unchecking, "Play at recording speed".

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Hang on... have you checked what your fov is? I know, it might sound strange, but if it's smaller than what you are comfortable with, things might seem to fly by quickly. Like Africa.