Project Space Transportation System 2016

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Weird that SLS and STS2016 both have an issue in Open Orbiter. They thrusters fire but the rocket does not move

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Working on fixing the late Orbiter the early shuttle seems to work good.

But one question is the body flap.

"The body flap scale reads body flap positions from zero to 100 percent of software-allowed travel. Zero percent corresponds to full up (-11.7°) and 100 percent corresponds to full down (+22.5°). The small pointer at 34 percent is fixed and shows the trail position. "

"The BODY FLAP pushbutton indicator is also one pushbutton with separate AUTO and MAN lights, indicating the state of the body flap channel."

Right now I would say the body flap is set at Auto. Where in atmosphere is stays at the trail position. BUT I suppose if in manual you could control the body flap?

So right now I have this for trim/body flap.
//*******Body flap static UINT bfGrp[1] = { GRP_Group2 }; static MGROUP_ROTATE BodyFlap(midx, bfGrp, 1, _V(0, -2.199202, -12.13037), _V(-1, 0, 0), (float)(34.2 * RAD)); anim_bodyflap = CreateAnimation(0.34); AddAnimationComponent(anim_bodyflap, 0, 1, &BodyFlap);

so range of the flap is 34.2 degrees.
if (status == 1)bodyflap = 0; if (status == 3)bodyflap = .34;

status =1 launch
status 3 in orbit.

Do I have this wrong?

Attachments

• bodyflap2.jpg
    bodyflap2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I added now CTRL and 1 allow manual changes to the body flap. I have the flap control in the vc.

BUT not sure how to get to be controlled by the HUD box?

On the latter shuttle the SPI was on a screen and not on the dash

Attachments

• bodtrimcontrol2.jpg
    bodtrimcontrol2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 18

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
@DaveS and any shuttle experts.
@Max-Q

trying to figure out the body flap animation.

As I understand it. trim range is -1 to 1 and animation range is 0 to 1. The range of animation is 34.2 degrees. -11.7 to 22.5.

Attachments

• bodyflpaanimation.jpg
    bodyflpaanimation.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 8

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am trying the moving dock capture.

case OAPI_KEY_L: { RevertDockingRing(); DoIDARing(); //case OAPI_KEY_B: // deploy/retract speedbrake // if (!Playback()) RevertSpeedbrake(); return 1; }
void Atlantis::DoIDARing() { VECTOR3 new_dock_pos = SHUTTLE_DOCKPOS; new_dock_pos.y += (soft_capture_ring_proc * 0.4);//0.45 OBJHANDLE v = GetHandle(); int idx = 0; // dock index OBJHANDLE docked_ship = GetDockStatus(GetDockHandle(0)); // object handle of docked vessel if (docked_ship != NULL) // make sure handle is valid, if it is... { VESSEL* docked = oapiGetVesselInterface(docked_ship); // get VESSEL interface for docked vessel int dcount = docked->DockCount(); // get number of docking ports for (int i = 0; i < dcount; i++) // Cycle through ports { if (docked->GetDockStatus(docked->GetDockHandle(i)) == GetHandle()) { idx = i; docked->Undock(idx, 0); SetDockParams(hDockODS1, new_dock_pos, SHUTTLE_DOCKDIR, SHUTTLE_DOCKROT); docked->Dock(v, idx, 0, 0); } } } else { SetDockParams(hDockODS1, new_dock_pos, SHUTTLE_DOCKDIR, SHUTTLE_DOCKROT); } }
animation which moves the docking ring
//dockring if (ODS == 1) {//ODS is present if (DOCKRING_status >= HATCH_RAISING) { double da = simdt * .1; if (DOCKRING_status == HATCH_RAISING) { if (soft_capture_ring_proc > 0.0) soft_capture_ring_proc = max(0.0, soft_capture_ring_proc - da); else DOCKRING_status = HATCH_UP; } else { if (soft_capture_ring_proc < 1.0) soft_capture_ring_proc = min(1.0, soft_capture_ring_proc + da); else DOCKRING_status = HATCH_DOWN; } SetAnimation(anim_DOCKRING, soft_capture_ring_proc); } }

I got to figure out the animation on the ODS ring. But now docked with the HD ISS. when I retract the ring the shuttle moves also

Attachments

• shuttledock3.jpg
    shuttledock3.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 9
  • shuttledock2.jpg
    shuttledock2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am getting closer on the animation of the rods,.... Following the code of the ODS from SSU. Ths STS2016 Not sur if anyone is interested in the differences. I will use a key to extend the dock ring. Not sure if I want to redo the aft section to get the APAS functions switches,.... to work

Any thoughts,......

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am looking at the SSU ODS and the SF ODS.
@DaveS Did you make the ODS for SSU? If so can I reuse it?

I am seeing differences. I think I am use the the SSU ODS parts for the sts2016 ODS. The STS2016 was built for ease of different missions. So what SF calls the ODS is really the ODS and external airlock. I think most people are not going to see the difference

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am trying to redo the STS2016 ODS. Which for most scenarios is mounted on top of the External airlock.
@DaveS Looking at your generic APAS active and SSU. Seems to be slight differences
Might do a combo of the meshes. I like the SSU as the code for the docking ring arms is there

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think I got the mesh correctly. Still working on the rod/base animation. Once I get the ODS and external airlock working. Then I should be able to redo the other ODS configuration.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
UUUGGGGHHHHH. This fighting me tooth and nail. I think the easy way to do it Use the SSU ODS as is and magically move the mesh to fit the STS2016 shuttle external lock.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
UUUGGGGHHHHH. This fighting me tooth and nail. I think the easy way to do it Use the SSU ODS as is and magically move the mesh to fit the STS2016 shuttle external lock.

Might not fit to your Orbiter mesh though, the SSV/SSU payload bay is wider and generally, the dimensions are pretty far apart from the default Orbiter mesh. I believe up to 60 cm difference in some locations, but @DaveS is the nuts and bolts counter and expert on that subject.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Might not fit to your Orbiter mesh though, the SSV/SSU payload bay is wider and generally, the dimensions are pretty far apart from the default Orbiter mesh. I believe up to 60 cm difference in some locations, but @DaveS is the nuts and bolts counter and expert on that subject.
Thanks. I can get the mesh to fit. just not the animation. BUt I am thinking just show the ODS mesh and move it to the correct location. Then all the animation should be the same as SSU code.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Success.

I modified the SSU ODS. And then when I added the mesh I move it to correct position. And the animation works.

I wonder if I should try to add the moveable dock to the orange ODS? for docking with MIR

Attachments

• AFTVIEWDOCK2.jpg
    AFTVIEWDOCK2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 14
  • AFTVIEWDOCK.jpg
    AFTVIEWDOCK.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 14

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On STS 2016 there are 2 docking position. For STS 74 the external airlock was moved back and a tunnel with hatch was added. That is why the different dock

I tried the moving dock on STS 74. And when I dock to the Docking Module. I get a crazy rotation issue.

No issue docking to ISS. So now it is the DM issue?

On the DM there are 2 docks.
CreateDock(_V(-0.042, 0, 2.136), _V(0, 0, 1), _V(0, -1, 0)); CreateDock(_V(-0.006, 0.000, - 2.125), _V(0, 0, -1), _V(0.500011, -0.866019, 0));

this is the dock that causes the rotation issue. Before making a moveable dock no issues

Any ideas? @Max-Q any ideas?

The DM is 30 degrees off.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mir_Docking_Module#/media/File:Docking_Module_(STS-74).jpg

Attachments

• SHUTTLEDOCKISSUE.jpg
    SHUTTLEDOCKISSUE.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So it is related to this code. I don't call the code thenno issues:
void Atlantis::DoIDARing() { if (TUNNELODS == 1) { VECTOR3 new_dock_pos = _V(-0.042, 2.2250, 8.2264);; new_dock_pos.y += (soft_capture_ring_proc * 0.4);//0.45 OBJHANDLE v = GetHandle(); int idx = 0; // dock index OBJHANDLE docked_ship = GetDockStatus(GetDockHandle(0)); // object handle of docked vessel if (docked_ship != NULL) // make sure handle is valid, if it is... { VESSEL* docked = oapiGetVesselInterface(docked_ship); // get VESSEL interface for docked vessel int dcount = docked->DockCount(); // get number of docking ports for (int i = 0; i < dcount; i++) // Cycle through ports { if (docked->GetDockStatus(docked->GetDockHandle(i)) == GetHandle()) { idx = i; docked->Undock(idx, 0); SetDockParams(hDockODS2, new_dock_pos, SHUTTLE_DOCKDIR, SHUTTLE_DOCKROT); //sprintf(oapiDebugString(), "SHUTTLE_DOCKDIR.x %lf SHUTTLE_DOCKDIR.y %lf SHUTTLE_DOCKDIR.z %lf SHUTTLE_DOCKROT.x %lf SHUTTLE_DOCKROT.y %lf SHUTTLE_DOCKROT.z %lf", SHUTTLE_DOCKDIR.x, SHUTTLE_DOCKDIR.y, SHUTTLE_DOCKDIR.z, SHUTTLE_DOCKROT.x, SHUTTLE_DOCKROT.y, SHUTTLE_DOCKROT.z); docked->Dock(v, idx, 0, 0); } } } else { SetDockParams(hDockODS2, new_dock_pos, SHUTTLE_DOCKDIR, SHUTTLE_DOCKROT); } } }

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So it is in the moving dock code. I can kill the angular motion but then when I move the docking ring in It spins

Here are images from sts 74 and rea life sts 76 docking of the DM

Attachments

• sts76dock.jpg
    sts76dock.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 8
  • sts74dock1.jpg
    sts74dock1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 8

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Looks like the docking points and angle are off.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Of the docking module or shuttle. When docked to ISS it is good. Let me go back and look for drawings of dock and alignment of the DM

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think the DM alignment may be correct. In the original image the rail that I assume is on the center is off set.

On the DM its dock values are: CreateDock(_V(-0.006, 0.000, - 2.125), _V(0, 0, -1), _V(0.500011, -0.866019, 0)); which is 30 degrees offset

I think that is correct. @DaveS @Max-Q any thoughts
I think it is the moving dock code

Attachments

• STS74DOCKINGREAL.jpg
    STS74DOCKINGREAL.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DMALIGNMENT.jpg
    DMALIGNMENT.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Docking_Module_cutaway (1).jpg
    Docking_Module_cutaway (1).jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 5