Orbiter Screenshot Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think if you Google on how to do it, you will at least find 2~3 videos/articles about it :p

It isn't really about this... being so good at it, that it really looks like something is it. I also can do some primitive 3D modelling, but I fail getting a simple placeholder mesh for Surveyor done after 14 hours of trying. :facepalm:

I am better in coding things or pencil drawings, 3D modelling is not my strength.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am better in coding things or pencil drawings, 3D modelling is not my strength.

I found out that I'm not too bad at it, but lack the drive for perfectionism to make things actually good. It's like my plastic aircraft models as a kid: I glued them together, but never painted them. After all, everybody can now see it's an aircraft, and most of the time you could even see which one, so why go through the effort of painting it? Needless to say, my attempt at warhammer 40K didn't turn out too well... :lol:

Pencil drawings though... Not my forté at all. Coding is definitely where it's at!

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I appreciate coders.:hail: I tried it many times, but my head hurts with all the numbers. Art class was my thing in school. At least I think it was ...hard to remember that far back.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I appreciate coders.:hail: I tried it many times, but my head hurts with all the numbers. Art class was my thing in school. At least I think it was ...hard to remember that far back.

I was also in arts class, even had it as advanced course in German Gynmnasium (I selected math & arts)... but that had been one of the decisions that have two traits: I don't really know why I did this, but I also did never regret it. :lol:

I still have a number of pencils of different strength in my backpack for drawing when I like to, but I couldn't really transfer this skill to 3D models.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Of course, having OCD helps with getting the detail. :yes:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
My limited experience with 3d modeling tells me that if one breaks things into basic shapes (cube, cylinder, triangle, ball, etc), then it's all a question of time and pacience.

Of course, having OCD helps with getting the detail. :yes:
True. Although sometimes I feel a bit silly editing the coordinates by hand to make sure it's all perfect.... :shifty:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
There's more than breaking it down to basic shapes.
Specially if you are modeling "game" models with moving parts. Cutting shapes is not trivial at all.

Don't confuse 3D modeling with concept art.
The same person can do both, but they are different things.

clipper

Reaction score
It's like my plastic aircraft models as a kid: I glued them together, but never painted them. After all, everybody can now see it's an aircraft, and most of the time you could even see which one, so why go through the effort of painting it?

LOL pretty much the same for me. Even recently when I assembled a rather complex Revell model just for the purpose of doing something I did as a kid, I was too afraid of ruining it all by my non-existing painting skills, so I just air-brushed the entire thing into one solid color.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Finally, on topic. :sweet:

Attachments

• DM-1 Docked to station.jpg
    DM-1 Docked to station.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 97

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's a couple more. Could someone tell me, how to make the cut outs I made, transparent to see through to the thrusters and cockpit ?

Attachments

• DM-1 dockig approach.jpg
    DM-1 dockig approach.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 65
  • DM-1 docking approach2.jpg
    DM-1 docking approach2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Here's a couple more. Could someone tell me, how to make the cut outs I made, transparent to see through to the thrusters and cockpit ?

You mean the windows? Did you check that the transparent meshgroups are rendered last, including the cockpit?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I will try that, but I did that once before with a different mesh, but something with Dx9 prevented it. I think it may need to be flagged in the .msh file. I need an example how to do that.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I will try that, but I did that once before with a different mesh, but something with Dx9 prevented it. I think it may need to be flagged in the .msh file. I need an example how to do that.

Not sure, flagging it as invisible and no shadow just removes it completely from rendering. But then, you could also just remove the mesh group all together, if it is NEVER needed.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It worked by moving the groups. :thumbup:

Thanks !!!

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Anticipation !!!!!

Attachments

• Waiting to launch.jpg
    Waiting to launch.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 98

galleto

Reaction score
Reshade testing

iZ6DFFg.png

rNWLEht.png

mxQBPrD.png

iQ7AaeM.png

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Got Rivets ?

DM-1 update. New capsule texturing by Felix24. Fantastic job Colin.

Attachments

• New_texture.jpg
    New_texture.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 96
  • New_texture2.jpg
    New_texture2.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 96
  • DM-1 on the pad.jpg
    DM-1 on the pad.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

galleto

Reaction score
Is there some realtime ambient occlusion going on there? :)

Yeah :thumbup: I'm using the MXAO shader included in the last version of reshade 4 with the indirect lighting shading option enabled, which looks pretty sweet.