Orbiter Screenshot Thread

Tycho

Reaction score

I just can't get over the new 3D terrain. On my way to Brighton Beach, I had to snap this pic of Montes Apenninus and Hadley-Apennine, the landing site of Apollo 15, from the pilot seat. I used to time warp through my lunar landings, but I now enjoy the scenery on the way down.

Last edited:

marcogavazzeni

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiteritalia.forumotion.com
Old project :salute:

cJywd39.jpg

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Rings a memory, and I still think the ship class was way more beautiful in pacific waters and without spacecraft parts...

Another bad, bad guy in the pacific waters:

([ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5886"]addon[/ame])

I'd like to draw another battleship. That one was funny. Maybe the IJN Kongo...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'd like to draw another battleship. That one was funny. Maybe the IJN Kongo...

Yeah, those pagoda masts are funny. :lol:

My personal favorite of the era is the Nelson class though. :lol:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Coincidentally, time ago I started precisely the Nelson:

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Another very cool battleship was the Bismarck class. Or the South Dakota.
Even our Littorio class was not bad

Too much choice!

Trekkie

Starfleet Head of Ship Design
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Coincidentally, time ago I started precisely the Nelson:

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Another very cool battleship was the Bismarck class. Or the South Dakota.

Too much choice!

I Just recognize this as you want to do them all i have the Same things :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

No not at all. :) Actually a beautiful ship.

Of the later period, the Long Beach was also a very nice ship design. :love:

I am still disappointed by the lack of good ship simulators, the relatively old Dutch game series turned too much towards arcade. Especially steam-powered battleships lack some treatment. All you can find is tactical simulations, which are like Worms, but without the fun.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Of the later period, the Long Beach was also a very nice ship design. :love:

Wait a minute... this?

C2-CG09Underway.jpg

"Nice" is not exactly the first term that comes in my mind when I think about that ship... :lol:

Speaking of the vintage US nuclear cruisers, I've a soft spot for the Virginia class.

virginia%2B02.jpg

Clean, polished design. A lot of potential. Sadly, all of them were scrapped. The Ticonderogas can do more with less cost.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wait a minute... this?
"Nice" is not exactly the first term that comes in my mind when I think about that ship... :lol:

It was the last US ship based on a cruiser hull, all later ships used enlarged destroyer hulls (Which limited performance and stability). Also, the boxy superstructure gives it a very clean and very distinctive look. And then, it also had a very modern weapon payload for its era - you have to remember, when it was build, most ships still look much the same like in WW2, the USA had only conversions of WW2 cruisers in this class.

This one was also a beauty... sadly already a dinosaur when it was build:

HMS_Vanguard_%281946%29.jpg

EDIT: Should the naval discussion disturb, I suggest moving it into another thread. Its not that much about Orbiter, though I think I have some anim8or models of one of my own ship designs somewhere in my backup folder.

Last edited:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
This one was also a beauty... sadly already a dinosaur when it was build:

I read that the Vanguard, besides of his advanced (for the time) fire control system, had superb seaworthiness, that in NATO exercises proved far better than the celebrated Iowa class battleships. Only drawback, the very old main battery.

Obviously, a post WWII battleship was a waste of money and resources.

EDIT: Should the naval discussion disturb, I suggest moving it into another thread. Its not that much about Orbiter, though I think I have some anim8or models of one of my own ship designs somewhere in my backup folder.

I agree.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
picture.php

Solar-electric powered to Mars
High above the Martian surface the crew of the solar-electric tug prepares the Mars lander for its descent. The UFO-shaped body up front is the inflated high-speed decelerator heat shield of the lander.

picture.php

Solar Electric Mars Ship with Lander and Orion
The solar electric ship in Mars orbit is configured for a surface exploration mission. The Orion has been relocated to a lateral docking port to give way for the lander. The lander has deployed its mushroom-shaped inflatable heat shield and is ready for departure.

The crew habitat consits of two ISS-derived modules, with a utility tunnel in between to provide independent energy supply and heat managment.

The picture is dominated by the large solar wings providing power to the electric drive. The drive itself is at the end of the lightweight center truss. It consits of two fold-out panels with Hall thrusters, an energy management system and heat radiators.

Two chemical thrusters are located at the rear of the ship, to provide an inital kick for the return flight later on.

Last edited:

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
Hooray! I have done the most accurate GEO burn in my life! A nice view of ThaiCom-8 hanging above the Indian Ocean.

most_accurate_GEO_2.jpg

In fact, it is so accurate that Orbiter failed to give definite LAN, LPe and AgP values, hence the zeros that appear beside these 3 orbital parameters. (Or so I thought) :lol:

Most_Accurate_GEO.jpg

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
So my VSA manager was wandering around looking for some support equipment and a new command ship. Come across this stuff, hopefully coming soon.

Onager.jpg

Indy.jpg

I think if the gun were removed and replaced with a tracking dish (inside a radome of course) it'd make a decent thing to have around. Looking for a good model of a gator-freighter to pervert for orbiter use. I've been tinkering around with a mesh somewhat based on the USS Wasp. But I think it might be too big, maybe the JDF with one of their Helicopter Destroyers?

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Experimenting with a LOD-based label layer. Found a database with 11 million labels for Earth. Here you see a sample scene picked entirely randomly ...

picture.php

(No it's not - going skiing there tomorrow _grin_ :hotcool:)