Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
KSC microelevation handpainting is slowly making progress:

Before:
picture.php

After:
picture.php

Can/Is this same sort of attention to detail going to be available/done for other locations in the solar system? I'd love to fly down the Valley of the Mariners on Mars with this level of detail....

Dantassii

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Can/Is this same sort of attention to detail going to be available/done for other locations in the solar system? I'd love to fly down the Valley of the Mariners on Mars with this level of detail....
Yes, as long as you have a source of data at this level of resolution (which I don't think exists), or you have enough imagination to make something up yourself (which will take a lifetime for an area the size of Valles Marineris, unless you are much more efficient at this than I am ...)

Dantassii

Reaction score
Dantassii's Lunar Station Evolution

I've had a couple of requests to repost photos of the evolution of my Lunar Station M-Side tank farm. Using photos I've already uploaded to my albums, here is a look at what this monstrosity has evolved from.

picture.php

Station after assembly mission 106 showing the start of the tank farm construction
picture.php

Second photo from mission 106 with F9 shows how many modules there were even at this early stage in the construction. BTW, now (after 307 missions) it's hard to see any individual module names when I hit F9.

picture.php

Closeup of the tank farm after mission 140

picture.php

Another photo of the tank farm this time after mission 180

picture.php

Just before departing the station after mission 230

And now several photos taken just before departure from the station at the end of Mission 282, the tank farm is complete.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Since these photos were captured, I've flown missions 283 through 307. I'm currently working on the hydroponics and life support system that is between the longitudinal truss framework and the M-Side tank farm. Once I've filled that space up with as many modules as I can fit, the station will be roughly half way to Phase 01 complete. I then need to literally mirror image the station to the other half to make the N-Side tank farm, centrifuge wheel, and life support system.

I estimate Phase 01 complete somewhere around mission 550-600.

Phase 02 will include 2 more tank farms (O and P) and 2 more centrifuge wheels.

Phase 03 will include an additional 2 more tank farms (K and L) and 2 more centrifuge wheels.

Each centrifuge wheel can provide hab space for 98 humans. So 6 hab wheels will allow for a permanent population of just under 600 people. Additional zero-g habitation for about another 2,000 people is in the rest of the station.

The Life Support capability of the Lunar Station when Phase 03 is complete should be somewhere around 12,000 people. The Hydroponics capability of the Lunar Station when Phase 03 is complete should be somewhere around 3,000 people. I just hope the variables that store this information in IMS are large enough...

I wonder if Jedidia ever thought someone would try to build something this big when he made IMS? ;) I actually think the word big is too small to describe this station.

Dantassii

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wonder if Jedidia ever thought someone would try to build something this big when he made IMS?

Frankly, no. And it pains me a bit to know that you'll never be able to integrate this thing reliably and make it work as intended... :(

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Few shots from the latest edition of D3D9Client. With a proper artwork that might actually look good.:)

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Dantassii

Reaction score
Frankly, no. And it pains me a bit to know that you'll never be able to integrate this thing reliably and make it work as intended... :(

Depends on what you mean by reliably Jedidia. The only part that causes any grief so far is the centrifuges. If you take them 1 part at a time, and undock/redock the remaining parts as needed they can be integrated. The rest seems to integrate in a well behaved manner.. so long as I remember to turn off Orbitersound before I start integrating that is.

There does appear to be some issues with Orbiter 2010 P1 when there are this many 'ships' in a single scenario file. Many of the MFDs that come standard with Orbiter have features/functionalities that do not work at all when you have over 1,000 'ships' in a single scenario file. Before integration, each IMS module appears as a 'ship' in the MFDs and Scenario Editor, and this seems to be the source of the problems. Then there's also the 'ship naming hash bug' issue that some of the IMS modules (but not all) seem to have whenever you are using a module naming pattern.

You can be assured that once IMS 2.0 has a larger collection of modules to choose from (including centrifuge components that are not at right angles to all the other components) that I will rebuild this station using IMS 2.0 and test out the 'integrate all instantly' feature of IMS 2.0 as well as all the Orbiter 2016 Beta MFDs to be sure that the problems I'm seeing in Orbiter 2010 P1 + IMS 1.0 do not happen in the new code.

I'm VERY curious to see just how long IMS 2.0 takes to do an 'integrate all instantly' command on something this HUMONGOUS. :)

Dantassii

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Few shots from the latest edition of D3D9Client. With a proper artwork that might actually look good.:)

picture.php

picture.php

Complete desolation !! ...but, everyone wants to go there. :thumbup:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score

picture.php

picture.php

That's what I thought. The high frequency data was preserved, however the 'big' craters in the microtexture still look flat. It's all from my normals though, so not to worry, I'm going back to work...

Other than that, it does look splendid! :thumbup:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Looks pretty stunning! My one question is this: how were the microtextures sourced? Do they come from actual close-up images of the lunar surface, or are they rescaled images from a larger distance? I'm not sure if obvious "crater features" would be visible at this distance scale. Lunar surface images seem to look more like a rough sand surface with small rocks of a characteristic size distribution strewn over it. I'm not sure that the crater distribution scales all the way down to the surface level.

a15north1221435dmh.jpg

moon-surface.jpg

Although I have to admit that the second image does have something like a crater close to the left edge. Nonetheless, at this scale it seems to me that the characteristic feature are rocky elevations rather than cratery indendations. What do you think?

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another round of Orbiter 2015 D3D9 + ReShade pictures (with realtime DoF, although not practical for gaming purposes, I concede)
(Taken in 4K, then cropped down to 1080p for added composition)

xy49736.png

zc6IS94.png

04toUJs.png

ZJHNFCy.png

iKdqrUw.png

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Although I have to admit that the second image does have something like a crater close to the left edge. Nonetheless, at this scale it seems to me that the characteristic feature are rocky elevations rather than cratery indendations. What do you think?

The current textures are rescaled distant images. I definitely agree that the dominant terrain type should be rocky sand terrain. Finding a terrain like that here from the Earth shouldn't be too difficult. But the photos should be taken directly up to down from 3-4 meters high to be use. That's just my guess I have never really done that. Right now there's nothing else than snow and dirt here.

Although, due to lack of atmosphere even the smallest meteors would reach the surface. I would expect the see small (0.5-2m) impact craters here and there.

Also, It should be possible to add some randomly placed rock formations as meshes. Slight problem is how to keep them clear from the landing pads.

584582main_M168000580LR_ap17_area_flat.jpg

584398main_M168353795RE_25cm_AP12_area.jpg

Last edited:

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
The first phase of construction of the International Skylab Orbital Workshop has been completed with a successful docking of Salyut 6 to the space station, January 1977.

tumblr_o2bmhfvi521rpuj2so3_1280.png

Here's a profile view:

tumblr_o2bmhfvi521rpuj2so2_1280.png

From left to right: ATM-B, Zarya, Skylab B with Progress-Skylab 1 and SL-8 docked to it, Kristall, and Salyut 6.

Here's a forward facing shot with the Moon in the background:

tumblr_o2bmhfvi521rpuj2so1_1280.png

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be 'gear up' ?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You were not landing in Oz!

rstr

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Some sight-seeing on the moon with Orbiter Beta 2015 r.49 + D3D9 Beta 17 for r.47

Approaching Tycho from Clavius .. and still digging for "The Monolith" since 2001 :rofl:
Tycho_HiRes.jpg

full-scale 5800x1080 pixels image via https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_lJ8zRbeAbQM3ZHZC1FTmhLZjg/view?usp=sharing

Mons Teneriffe / Mons Pico with view of Plato .. most beautiful site even in a small telescope from your backyard btw :blink:
Plato_Mons-Teneriffe_Mons-Pico_HiRes.jpg

full-scale 5800x1080 pixels image via https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_lJ8zRbeAbQSVY0bGU2LTA0QlE/view?usp=sharing

Rima Hadley ... wow ! :woohoo: wow! (... and thx again to "Marg" and "PostMuch")
Rima_Hadley_Orbiter2015-Beta-wt-HighResMoonTextures.jpg

full-scale 5800x1080 pixels image via https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_lJ8zRbeAbQZFdqUFdvRDF2NGc/view?usp=sharing

The largest of the "Blair Cuspids" :uhh:
BlairCuspids-HiRes.jpg

full-scale 5800x1080 pixels images via https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_lJ8zRbeAbQeDFGTU00eEIzU2c/view?usp=sharing
Close-up:
BlairCuspids-HiRes-Close.jpg

Enjoy - and THX to Dr. M and the D3D9 team and the many other contributors for their great work, making a dream come true again :tiphat:
Rob

Last edited:

rstr

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What about trying with the latest D3D9ClientBeta18 forRev 49?
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=527074&postcount=3450

Thx, Ripley.
I had the beta18 (plus the D3D9Client.dll-fix dated Feb 16th, 2016) installed as well, but stopped using it for the above gallery pictures as the microtexture feature just doesn't look "right" (despite being a good idea) due to the impression of repetitiveness of the terrain, and because the microtexture pattern was not seemlessly merging to its neighbors, thus leaving a visible grid-like structure.

I was about to write a post about this to the D3D9 thread, but wanted to make sure beforehand that it wasn't an installation fault on my side.
Also I remembered having a tool "InfinityTextures" some time ago that was able to automatically convert a texture image into a seamless pattern - if it will run on Win10x64 then I can offer to try to apply it to the microtexture pattern, but need to understand where in the client this microtexture pattern is located (../Textures/D3D9Moon_B.dds ?). I am also about to test the beta 18 with stereoscopic 3D (NVidia + Shutter Glasses), but need a bit more time for this over upcoming weekend. When done, I'll add a post to the D3D9 thread, and hopefully also can provide an improved microtexture pattern that is seamless, and thus not showing the border gridlines.

Basically, the client is working though, and is very promising (I cannot thank the D3D9 team enough for the great job they are doing !).

Anyway, plz see here on the before-mentioned problems, and compare these to the previously published "sight-seeing" pictures http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=527490&postcount=6800:
Rima_Hadley_Orbiter2015-Beta-wt-HighResMoonTextures_Microtextures.jpg

Rima_Hadley_Orbiter2015-Beta-wt-HighResMoonTextures_Microtextures-Detail.jpg

Last edited:

Marg

Reaction score
my post from d3d9 thread can help (I edited "surface.fx" file):
After a bit experimenting with surface.fx, I changed 64.0 to 16.0 and "repetitevness" is much less noticable:

float3 cDstA = tex2D(MicroBS, frg.texUV.xy*16.0f).rgb; // High altitude micro texture A

Yeah, resolution is a bit low looking from lower altitudes (~500 m) , but look is better. altough increasing resution to 1024x1024 can partially compensate this.