Project Orbiter Navigator

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sure but i'll concentrate on the more essential things for now. :) I thought about adding a Lambert Solver and Pork Chop Plots too already but this is still far away.

29zonzt.jpg

cheers man! :thumbup:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I haven't tried this yet, do we have addons capable of this ?

Yes we do:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3034"]Bullet MK1[/ame]
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=473"]Vespucci D[/ame]
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3042"]Hius Interstellar Ramjet 070823[/ame]

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think the question was wheather we have addons capable of calculating the arrival burn, not of performing the arrival burn?

Mindblast

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.nestadlinn.de
I think the question was wheather we have addons capable of calculating the arrival burn, not of performing the arrival burn?
No no i was indeed looking for Vessels that could do a 1G constant burn for several days or even weeks. I didn't think of the Bussard Ramjet type designs. Those will probably be very hard to calculate for the tool anyway because they replenish their fuel during the trip which is something unpredictable. Hmmm... i think i'll have to add some way of telling the tool what thrust levels will be used for a maneuver instead of just assuming full throttle. This would then also be a good place to configure a constant acceleration instead of a thrust level. The burn autopilot then has to throttle the drive to get the desired acceleration. That way the tool doesn't have to know the mass of the vessel (the amount of fuel onboard) at all.
I'm not sure i'll put this into the first release though..

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

The Bullet MK1 looks good, no replenishing of fuel and thrust is about 1G at full throttle...

earthmoon1g1.png

earthmoon1g2.png

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
I'm really sorry to ask this, and maybe you've answered or explained it already a lot op times, but can you plan an interplanetary course with this program and then execute it with the MFD?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Bullet MK1 looks good, no replenishing of fuel and thrust is about 1G at full throttle...
Hmmm... if I interprete these screenshots right, the blue line is when the vessel is under thrust, while the orange line is the drifting part, that's great. It might improve oversight by another good bit by having seperate colors for prograde and retrograde burns.

To throw in anoother question, can the tool handle splited ejection burns? I.e. ejection burns that take part over several orbits, because the acceleration of the vessel isn't big enough to reach escape velocity in one go (as is usually the case for ion drives, as well as more fictional VASIMR and fusion drives).
All in all, I can barely wait for this to get out!

Last edited:

Mindblast

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.nestadlinn.de
Hmmm... if I interprete these screenshots right, the blue line is when the vessel is under thrust, while the orange line is the drifting part, that's great. It might improve oversight by another good bit by having seperate colors for prograde and retrograde burns.

Hmmm.. but what about orbit normal/antinormal burns and orbit inward/outward burns and then there can be burns that use a mix of these as a velocity relative thrustvector so you can do stuff like ejection and plane-change in one burn. Wouldn't this be a bit too colorful all in all ?
I might add a configuration option for that.. i guess more important will be to highlight the currently selected maneuver and maybe also being able to select a maneuver by clicking on the trajectory part in the 3d view. Still a lot to do on the interface there i guess.

To throw in anoother question, can the tool handle splited ejection burns? I.e. ejection burns that take part over several orbits, because the acceleration of the vessel isn't big enough to reach escape velocity in one go (as is usually the case for ion drives, as well as more fictional VASIMR and fusion drives).

Well sure.. you just put in a number of prograde maneuvers.. no problem. (i think :))

Aiyel

Reaction score
You, sir, are my hero.

I've been wanting this exact add-on for months now.:hail:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've been wanting this exact add-on for months now.

months? make that years!

Hmmm.. but what about orbit normal/antinormal burns and orbit inward/outward burns and then there can be burns that use a mix of these as a velocity relative thrustvector so you can do stuff like ejection and plane-change in one burn. Wouldn't this be a bit too colorful all in all ?

That's true...

Well sure.. you just put in a number of prograde maneuvers.. no problem. (i think :))

Could get complicated to hit a precise launch heading that way, but it should be enough.

Aiyel

Reaction score
any idea when you'll have an initial release ready? Remember; We don't need feature-complete for a first release, just look at how much IMFD and Trans-X have changed over the years.

As long as it can get me to my destination and handle a slingshot or two, it's good. :)

Mindblast

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.nestadlinn.de
Oh let me think.. hmmm.. tuesday ? :)

No honestly.. i don't know..
I have now added basic support for loading and saving planned maneuvers and an autoburn function in the MFD. I still want to add an attitude hold autopilot to the MFD which will probably take some time. Also i have some improvements for the interface of the app in mind..
I'm currently thinking about doing a closed alpha/beta test with a few users to gain some insight how the interface works out.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I still want to add an attitude hold autopilot to the MFD which will probably take some time.

make sure it works at high time accelerations.

I'm currently thinking about doing a closed alpha/beta test with a few users to gain some insight how the interface works out.

I'm not too full with time currently, but I'd still spare some for this. You can count me in.