News 'North Korean torpedo' sank South's navy ship - report

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nothing is gonna happen... nobody wants to risk China backing up NK in a war.

Or maybe the Mayan predictions of 2012 were right...

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I can't say I would be sad if someone had the balls to storm past the DMZ and end this half-century pain in the butt. Sounds crude and naive, but this is ridiculous.

Spike Spiegel

Reaction score
As an American, I'd love to see the U.S. fight a war that actually makes sense for a change. Oh, and commit the necessary resources to actually win it in under a decade. (And clearly defined goals for what constitutes a victory, etc, etc.)

I'd love to understand all the reasons why we'll attack one country for doing "bad things", but turn a blind eye when another country does it. Another part of me thinks that we should really stay the heck out of other people's wars. Then again, we have these alliances.

This is a very good reason to go to war, and it's despicable for N. Korea to claim that any action against them would be an act of war, when they themselves have just committed such an act. Despite all this, I really don't want to see a war. Seoul has a LOT of people, and it's not that far from the border.

Ark

Reaction score
As an American, I'd love to see the U.S. fight a war that actually makes sense for a change. Oh, and commit the necessary resources to actually win it in under a decade. (And clearly defined goals for what constitutes a victory, etc, etc.)

Dude, the North Koreans have been digging in for half a century. The Japanese were able to run us through a meat grinder on Iwo Jima and Okinawa after only months of fortifying. Actually conquering North Korea would take well over a decade and hundreds of thousands of American lives.

Makes more sense just to blockade the place and let them all starve to death, in that event.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Dude, the North Koreans have been digging in for half a century. The Japanese were able to run us through a meat grinder on Iwo Jima and Okinawa after only months of fortifying. Actually conquering North Korea would take well over a decade and hundreds of thousands of American lives.

Makes more sense just to blockade the place and let them all starve to death, in that event.

... or nuke/big bombs , I think it would be more a psychological war then, give NK a taste that they aren't so high and mighty as they think.

Attacking SK numerous times, while SK turns the other cheek, then saying anything bigger than a threatening letter will start war again...

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Actually conquering North Korea would take well over a decade and hundreds of thousands of American lives.

Not if most of the bloody work is done from the sea and air. The DPRK may have over a million troops, but their navy and air force is mediocre at best.

KosmoKen

Lost in Translation
Donator
Reaction score
Not if most of the bloody work is done from the sea and air. The DPRK may have over a million troops, but their navy and air force is mediocre at best.

Until you get their Chinese buddies involved. Its happened before, don't you know?

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Nobody is going to invade NK from the south. It is one of the most heavily mined places on planet earth and its suspected that NK would even take serious casualties from their own mine network when they invade. Of course madmen don't care about such and would do so.

But this is not "Going Away" They want their war and they will have it. Don't think they wouldn't stoop to blasting a civilian ship next or launching a SAM at an airliner.

However the only way (And likely as they trade with SK VERY much) NK could be invaded would be from china. If that were to happen many of the higher ups would switch in a heartbeat and NK would become a new country under chinas umbrella very quickly.

That is likely the only reason Air attacks have not started yet. SK isn't stupid enough to attempt air domination if china wont join in the fun. Otherwise the nutjobs may try to use the nuke.

However, If even one shell flies into the capital. Automatic Counter Battery would light NK up within a heartbeat. Its up to NK...

---------- Post added at 02:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

Until you get their Chinese buddies involved. Its happened before, don't you know?

China isn't nuts. They could do far more damage by changing their loans and causing the world economy to tumble.

Matter of fact what is scary is if NK starts shelling and china says "Not our problem" in which case the madmen are likely to try to use the nuke to attempt a response in kind. These madmen want to die with the world burning around them.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't think China would side with NK. Their relations to the country don't seem valuable enough to risk the possibility of a new world war (and if China would get involved on the side of North Korea, that scenario is a possibility). It seems much more likely that they'll behave UN style, lift a threatening finger against everyone opposing NK, but doing not much else. Or they might see it as an opportunity to turn against NK and establish a puppet governament there after a war, allthough I don't know how interested China is in territorial expansion.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ask Tibet or Xinjiang.

Tibet is keeping old territory rather than annexing new one, it's not quite comparable. I could imagine that china would be interested in EMPTY territory, to lower their population problem a bit, but North Korea is already fairly crowded as it is. But as I said, I really don't know wheather china is interested in such an expansion or not. I simply don't have enough information, and don't have the time to get it.

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
I don't think that we really want to go to war with nk. Kim Jong-il is not the most stable leader on earth. He is nervous and thinks that the hole world is out to get him. He shares many psychological similarities with most cult leaders. He is controlling and has a god complex. Now he has nukes.
This is not a good thing. He thinks that if he has nukes then the other countries wont want to invade him. Unfortunately the fact that he has nukes makes the other nations want to get rid of him because he scares them.
The people in nk are very similar to the people of 1944 Japan. Every citizen of the country is prepared to fight to the death rather then let their country be invaded. Most of the attacks are a way of scaring sk so sk and the rest of the world don't try anything that might threaten nk. The other attacks are patriotic citizens thinking that they are doing there duty by killing the enemy of nk.
All in all, not a good situation.

Oh and lets not forget: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_abductions_of_Japanese
and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangoon_bombing

Dambuster

Reaction score
The people in nk are very similar to the people of 1944 Japan. Every citizen of the country is prepared to fight to the death rather then let their country be invaded. Most of the attacks are a way of scaring sk so sk and the rest of the world don't try anything that might threaten nk. The other attacks are patriotic citizens thinking that they are doing there duty by killing the enemy of nk.
All in all, not a good situation.

Oh and lets not forget: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_abductions_of_Japanese
and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangoon_bombing

Do you have any evidence to back up those claims about 1944 Japan and NK? Even if you do, you really can't tell whether the North Koreans actually worship Kim Jong Il, or whether they just say they do in public, whilst slanging him off in private (or something along those lines). I think I've heard reports (can't remember where) that the people there are growing rather disillusioned with their country.

Those links you provided certainly show the asshattery (to put it very mildly) of the country's leadership, and the terrible actions of a few agents, but they go no way to revealing anything about the opinions of the general population.

Last edited:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Even if you do, you really can't tell whether the North Koreans actually worship Kim Jong Il, or whether they just say they do in public, whilst slanging him off in private (or something along those lines). I think I've heard reports (can't remember where) that the people there are growing rather disillusioned with their country.

Some of them apparently do, because their people never stop attempting to cross Chinese border and disappear among Chinese population (although not so many manage to, because Chinese powers catch and deliver them back). But the big question is, how big part of their armed forces and secret services are unhappy with (1) the way their regime works and (2) Kim personally. That is, if you count on some internal powers for making a revolt.

For the possibility of invasion, I believe it's up to Korean people to decide. It's the South Koreans who would risk their well being and peaceful life in case an attack attempt is launched on North Korea. If they value their current life remaining in the present state over the chance of rejoining their country, so that should be it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I never said they did. They do however show a pattern.

Absolutely not. They only show that you assume a relation between NK today and Japan then. And even your claims about Japan are painted with a very broad brush. While the soldiers really had the preference to fight till their death, the civilians had been found thinking completely opposite.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
From what I've read, the NK population is pretty "Orwellianized" in the sense that their information intake and speech is so controlled, their thoughts so suppressed, that they actually believe what the government feeds them, or at least convince themselves that it's true, for the sake of personal survival. Orwell called it "doublethink", and it works.

When Kim Il Sung died and they had the ridiculous state funeral, there were shocking films of people screaming and crying in anguish along the route of the funeral precession. My first thought was that these people are crying on command, but it's more than that, they genuinely looked distraught. I'm pretty sure the brainwashing works after 50 years of constant immersion in the NK communist world of propaganda and forced thinking.

Occasionally a few people do reject the official story of course, but they are exceptions to the rule, it seems. NK's population is not quite the Borg, of course, but they are fiercely ignorant of reality and this has to be considered when discussing these matters.