News 'North Korean torpedo' sank South's navy ship - report

Dambuster

Reaction score
Now that's a country that I don't want having space travel. Not to sound racist or anything, but I like them trapped on that peninsula.

Very true, I wouldn't trust their current government to boil an egg, much less launch a functional rocket.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What if China invaded North Korea pre-emptively?

North Korea has announced it will scrap an agreement aimed at preventing accidental naval clashes with South Korea, amid rising tensions over the sinking of a South Korean warship.
From the quoted article, I can only come to one conclusion: North Korea wants a escalation, and wants to push things to the brink. For what reason, it's up to anyone's guess? A dying despotic head of state wishing to go out in a blaze of glory? Maybe. A collection of 'green' senior officers wanting to compete for top jobs in the coming transition from Kim Jong Il's regime to it's successor, or to become the successor themselves and bypass his son? Perhaps.

But one thing is sure, from my point of view, the rest of the world cannot intervene in anyway as North Korea seems really on hair-trigger for any kind of excuse to lash out.

Ironically, the best scenario in my mind right now will seem ludicrous to many but makes a lot of sense in my opinion...

What if China invaded North Korea?

China has had to deal with this pesky nation putting it in the hot seat more often than can be counted in recent years, and while China has transitioned to somewhat of a market economy, and is rapidly developing and becoming part of the world community out of it's isolationism, North Korea is stuck in it's old Stalinist regime.

If the UN, or NATO+Pacific allies were to intervene in North Korea, China (and maybe Russia) would bark at it fiercely. But given that North Korea is also a diplomatic nightmare for China to deal with, I think there wouldn't be too much objection from the UNC allies to see a more reasonable overlord take charge of the mess north of the DMZ.

Now that would be something to see, and the look on Kim Jong Il's face would be priceless when China's PLA walks into Pyongyang!

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I can't see a UN(they tried that before) force getting involved in Korea, or Japan, again historical reasons.

Its a mess, and a nightmare. I can't think of a similar geographic situation. Unstable nation, right next to a super-power, they normally get absorbed.
How much influence does China have on NK?

N.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I can't see a UN(they tried that before) force getting involved in Korea, or Japan, again historical reasons.

Its a mess, and a nightmare. I can't think of a similar geographic situation. Unstable nation, right next to a super-power, they normally get absorbed.
How much influence does China have on NK?

N.

A lot is the short answer. Long answer.

Basically, North Korea depends on China ever since the USSR dissolved into several non-communist states back in 1991... The effect was rather severe on North Korea, it was one of the factors leading to the famine that affected the country up to the point that millions of people died, some solid estimates are around 5% of the population, but reliable figures are hard to come by and it could have been as high as 10% of the population which died from malnourishment...

Trust me, China would be more than relieved to have provisional control over the northern Korean peninsula, maybe in the way of an autonomous region, and probably the region as a whole would be relieved in some way. The question is, would South Korea "let go" of it's claims over North Korea (reciprocally, North Korea 'claims' the south part as a rogue rebellious region which must be put back under it's control), given that it would result in a far more reasonable and cold headed administration...

Not to say that China never does saber rattling, but the steps North Korea has taken in recent days in response to the events it provoked are rather extreme.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
North Korea is really nothing short of a pain in the butt. A dangerous, unstable, psychotic pain in the butt.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Plus, the UN is about as useful as a screen door on a battleship.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
What if China invaded North Korea?

Might work, but China has not a slightest reason for doing so. First, you might laugh, but their international political philosophy does not include the idea of beginning a military conflict themselves, at least after transition to the matter of fact Capitalism. Second, North Korea is a nuisance for South Korea, Japan, the USA and really no one country else. This does not include China. Third, North Korea is an ideal distance keeper between their border and US forces stationed in the South. I believe they would like no US troops at an Eastern Asian ground whatsoever. Fourth, in case they occupy North Korea, that might inflict a hit on their economy and managing the territory would make them lots of problems they wouldn't want. And finally, they wouldn't like North Korea to be handed over to care of the South: this would produce a new big and powerful ASPAC state, posing unnecessary competition to them.

So I think it's an idea difficult to be sold to the Chinese.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Okay, so... Out of pure logic, a war isn't happening => the victim side wasn't going to fight all along => it made no sense for SK or anyone backing them up to provoke a conflict => the North Koreans did really sink the ship.

The conspiracy case is unanimously closed for me.