Launch News North Korea comes again for third attempt to send satellite into space in April

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I am at least sure it will have higher chances following the assigned azimuth, than getting intercepted by Japanese ships, which are currently the only units in Japan with such capability.
That is true. But everyone likes to make bold propositions occasionally. :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That is true. But everyone likes to make bold propositions occasionally. :p

I don't. I didn't for example say, for how long it will be following the trajectory. :lol:

MattBaker

Reaction score
"Visit North Korea - Where doglegs during launches are not a skill":)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"Visit North Korea - because parts of our rockets have already visited you!"

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Visit North Korea
Look! A real foreigner!
_MG_0520.jpg

MattBaker

Reaction score
I'm kinda curious about this Japan-thing and so I made some calculations (and searched old school files):

From the latitude of the pad and the inclination of 98° I end up with the two possible azimuths of -10.42° over China and Russia and the probable azimuth of 190,42° over the Yellow Sea.
This then looks quite different to the map by Bob Christy, posted by Galactic Penguin, so I'm not sure who made a mistake.:hmm:

So, the facts to Japan:
The nearest point to the "mainland" is somewhere in the Yellow Sea, 500 kilometers distance.
The nearest point to Japanese territory should be to Yonaguni, 125 kilometers, BUT downrange of 1,700 kilometers to to launch pad (comparable to CapeC and Bermuda).

The attached files are 4 screenshots from Google Earth, first two show the possible trajectories (I've rescaled them a bit because someone is not able to keep file sizes in their restriction:shifty:), next two show the distances from Japan to the southern trajectory. GE interface is in german, but the first number is the right one:thumbup:

Attachments

• NK_northern.jpg
    NK_northern.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 17
  • NK_southern.jpg
    NK_southern.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 17
  • NK_dis_main.jpg
    NK_dis_main.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 18
  • NK_dis_yon.jpg
    NK_dis_yon.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 16

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
A large team of journalists (from BBC/CNN/NBC/many other news agencies around the globe) has arrived at Pyongyang reporting on this very launch. And we've got the first images of the rocket, courtesy of various news agencies:

nkorea-ape.jpg

index.php

index.php

233527h9ag6s4gv4wa95vt.jpg

23352136a4tfnf3i2sxf66.jpg

233519sx3mux7ysfmn7um3.jpg

02472926.jpg

And we've news reports from the launch site by NHK and FranceTV...

...and an image of the model of the satellite too!

index.php

P.S. If you fear that the reporters would be doing badly on reporting on spaceflight, then don't worry, as veteran spaceflight news journalist (and ex-Space Shuttle flight controller) Jim Oberg is in North Korea to cover the launch for NBC news!

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Japan has deployed PAC-3 batteries all over the territories and one in the Ministery of Defense, right in the center of Tokyo. Frigates with SM-3 missles are patrolling the archipel. And those kind of missles aren't something to underestimate, during a test the satellite USA-193 has been successfully pulverized at 293 km of altitude. So I'd say there is little to worry about, even if a rocket stage deviates of its trajectory in an uncontrolled manner, it could probably be torn in small pieces.

1682362_3_c363_la-fusee-nord-coreenne-censee-mettre-en-orbite_4f9f618739699bb632b7f5e6e981b5dc.jpg

The North Korean rocket.

400px-Standard_Missile_III_SM-3_RIM-161_test_launch_04017005.jpg

A SM-3 missile a few instants before liftoff.

Last edited:

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
How much has North Korea's media distorted this?

I mean how much more than usual? :censored:

Then again, there are quite a few American news corporations who aren't too much better.

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
Then again, there are quite a few American news corporations who aren't too much better.

Don't think I like having a media that I can't trust at all. I'll guess the BBC isn't much better. EDIT: Not intended to be offensive or anything.

It's unfortunate, but we are nearing the point where the worst place to get news is the media itself! What a crazy world we live in!

As for NK, when I think about getting rid of it my concern lies more with all the people in concentration camps and the total lack of respect for human rights then the political ramifications, which belong in the Basement.

I don't care who feels uncomfortable about who's borders against who. I feel upset that all those people are denied higher standards of living, access to the rest of the world and human culture, and decent human rights. So China or SK may feel uncomfortable- big deal! What matters is those poor North Koreans! There's no excuse left for a regime like North Korea.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Couldn't we just blow up their satellites. We are hostile towards the NK.

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
It looks that NK seriously will launch a satellite into orbit.

But I advise everybody for guarantee to buy a metal umbrella.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Couldn't we just blow up their satellites. We are hostile towards the NK.

No, you can't. First of all because of the Outer Space Treaty that you once signed, but which is just paper. Second, because North Korea is not the only country in the world - can you even imagine what China or Iran will do, once you start blowing up satellites - and that only because you have issues?

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, you can't. First of all because of the Outer Space Treaty that you once signed, but which is just paper. Second, because North Korea is not the only country in the world - can you even imagine what China or Iran will do, once you start blowing up satellites - and that only because you have issues?
True but the problem is that they maybe using their spacecraft againt us. They are not part of the treaty.

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
True but the problem is that they maybe using their spacecraft againt us. They are not part of the treaty.

Have you proof that the spacecraft go,s used against other nations?

It looks not on a ASAT, so that's a reason to less worry about it :lol: