New Theory of Time Rattles Halls of Science

Scarecrow

Reaction score
Not that I've read his paper, or know too much about non-newtonian physics or whatever, but this just sounds stupid from the article (though the article was rather non-descriptive too). On what basis is he saying that there are no instants in time, or whatever this is?

Also, apparently both he and the author of the article don't realize that the solution to Zeno's paradox is obvious (I'm sure that all the really smart people have known the solution for hundreds of years). As Achilles and the Turtle cover progressivly shorter distances at a constant speed, they take less and less time to do so. The function T(n) = the amount of time elapsed during step n, has a horizontal asymptote at zero, and if you integrate T(n) from n = 0 to n = infinity, you come up with a definate amount of time, which is when Achilles passes the Turtle.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does been there done that mean anything to this guy? Sounds like everything I'm reading in that...white book that is a sequel to "The Elegant Universe"

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Different paradigm is all - I've been suspecting there'd be a new one coming soon. It's one of the human experiences where a lot of paradoxes are experienced.

Who hasn't experienced deja-vu before? It's unsettling in the implications. What do you do with clairvoyance then? How is freewill and the random possible if you can have glimpses of the future?

Seems like the easiest way out is to go in the same direction as light. It's a wave and particle, just apparently not at the same time.

I hope I can find his paper. I should, since I have college library access. I'd like to see exactly where he's going with this.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In my opinion, the weirder a theory is the better...In the old days people used to call Galileo, Newton, Aristotle fools because their theories were foolish because of the lack of knowledge back then. Even today, quantum mechanic is so weird, yet no event ever predicted by the theory has yet to be contradicted. The hallmark of a geniuses is not necessarily how "smart" they are, rather it's how creative they are.

Mafuskas

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I say the more theories the better. I'd rather have a theory pursued and proven wrong than dismissed as wrong from the outset and never explored.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to disprove the ridiculous idea of gravity. :p

Lunar Pilot

Reaction score
If

Even if this guy maybe correct, the real question is if someone can prove it, whatever his idea is in the first place.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
More important, does his theory have a prediction, which can be tested? If it is automatically true, regardless what happens, it belong to theology, not physics.

A theory, which is always true, regardless what happens, does also not have any effect on physics.

BTW - Zenos paradox is only paradox for people with no sense of humor.

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Who hasn't experienced deja-vu before? It's unsettling in the implications. What do you do with clairvoyance then? How is freewill and the random possible if you can have glimpses of the future?

"There's a divinity that shapes our ends,
Rough-hew them how we will,--" - Hamlet

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Can't say I have noticed the halls of science rattling. I'm usually fairly observant about my entire workplace experiencing a theoretical earthquake. Maybe I was late that day.

IMO Zeno's paradox is a good example of why philosophers shouldn't be allowed near the real world. Every time someone comes up with an answer to it you get about 50 philosophers saying "no, that's not right. that isn't how Zeno meant it." or "you're missing the point".
Annoys the crap out of me.:censored:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Lynds claims the paradoxes result from an incorrect physical assumption from long ago. From ancient times to the present, philosophers and physicists have assumed that objects in motion have determined positions at any instant in time. It's not true, Lynds says.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"I'm surprised this hasn't been realized before," Lynds said, calling many aspects of his theory very simple.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]He's obviously not familiar with quantum mechanics, then.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]While I admire Lynd's enthusiasm I can't help but think that he has constructed a theoretical framework that I can't help but think that he doesn't really know what he is talking about. I've not read his original paper, but I have read some of his newer ones (and saw him at a conference in Boston last year) - and all his papers look like something written by an undergrad. They lack precise definitions and the entire things seem "wordy", which always leads me to suspect someone is trying to talk their way out of a hole.:p[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Anyway, his original paper was published 7 years ago, and there's not many physicists who have picked up on his work. After the initial fuss everyone seems to have gone very quiet about it.
[/FONT]

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why would you want to re-define time?:rofl:

Maybe because a 26 hour day could be useful sometimes? or a 15 second school lesson?

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
15 hour class time:censored: NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
That will be a nightmare.

"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours... that's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours... that's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Well i do have a Girlfriend unlike you guys :lol: joking so that could work out for me, you never know really.