Project Boeing 747 Development Thread

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Hello friends of Orbiter-Forum, I bother you again with my endless questions.

It turns out that I am programming the Boeing 747SP for Orbiter, and for this I followed the same steps as always: we could say that I copy and paste the code from my previous add-on and adapt it to the new one and add features. Obviously I check all the code carefully, but this time I don't find the error. Maybe you can see it and it is completely obvious but I can't find it. I think it's a strange problem with Touchdown points.

My problem is the following:

In Windows the 747 appears floating in space in the middle of nowhere and I have to manually put it on the runway. I save the scenario, open it again and again it's floating in the middle of nowhere.

In Linux it appears floating in the middle of nowhere for brief moments and then Orbiter crashes. GDB gives me the following error: Thread 1 "Orbiter" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0x000055555584eaad in oapiGetObjectType(OrbiterObject*) ()

I really don't know what to do and I apologize in advance for my annoying questions, I know they must be obvious but I can't find the way around them.

Here is my GitHub repository: https://github.com/MatiasSaibene/Boeing747SP_orbiter_addon

Attachments

• Boeing747SP_for_Windows.zip
    815.8 KB · Views: 9

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
Modelling the 747-100
Boeing_747_100.jpg

Boeing_747-100SR_Super_Airbus.jpg

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
I know a guy that is refining a Lua autopilot that can fly great circle routes to any waypoint listed in the Orbiter marker files :cool:. This could be a fun add-on for using it.
Thank you for your words!
I really want to develop this project and see it with a 3D and 2D virtual cabin. I've been playing around with FlightGear and I loved the 747, plus my uncle Oscar (who worked at Aerolíneas Argentinas in aircraft maintenance) lent me a beautiful book that talks about the history of the versatile 747 and now I'm determined to do all of his variants.

Also, this time I won't rush to publish the project being incomplete like I did before (sorry for my pre-release anxiety). So I'm taking it patiently, trying to polish the details, and learn new things. Something I want to implement is changing Skin with a keystroke. For now it is very difficult, and I had to rewrite the code because I forgot to commit to GitHub (beginner facepalm).

So I'm moving forward carefully.

Thanks for commenting on your idea and good luck with your project too!

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
That should be fun to fly! Is it for 2016 or Beta?
For now I'm developing it mainly on Linux and I'm going to port it to Orbiter Beta (Windows). But I'm also going to try Orbiter 2016, which I think is the most used. I suppose there should be no problem making the transfer from Open Orbiter -> Orbiter 2016.

Krishnan

I believe, my friends, caravans of rockets
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I'm glad that you're developing an Airliner for Orbiter! One of my favourite things to do in Orbiter was to roleplay as a captain and fly pax to Wideawake, then fly pax and cargo to the Moon SpacePort!.

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I know a guy that is refining a Lua autopilot that can fly great circle routes to any waypoint listed in the Orbiter marker files :cool:. This could be a fun add-on for using it.
I remember there used to be a mod that added AIRAC Waypoints but it doesn't work on 2016. I would love to have an airplane autopilot for Orbiter!

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I remember there used to be a mod that added AIRAC Waypoints but it doesn't work on 2016. I would love to have an airplane autopilot for Orbiter!
I am thinking of releasing it at some point, and since it is Lua it hopefully will be usable in different versions of Orbiter. But I need to resolve how to do local file referencing, and the current PID controllers are tuned to control my Mirage2000 model. The autopilots also work for the DG below say Mach 2.0, but not perfectly. The DG uses ailerons as elevons and my autopilot currently expects an elevator control surface to be defined for pitch control. It will really be subject to how control surfaces and aircraft physics are modeled in a given add-on, and it's challenging to generalize it for multiple aircraft types.

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

:cool:

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
We have skin/livery change in 747!

This is the second time I've implemented it and the first time it goes well. Last time it broke all my code, I forgot to commit and had to rewrite it.
Huge thanks to everyone who implemented the search on the Orbiter forum, thanks to them and to those who commented on how to change textures in-sim.

------------EDIT--------------

Next step: invent an array or something like that to change the liveries in a cycle.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
Is it a fixed number of liveries? That you could use a constant array for that.
At first I could program it to change 5 different skins, but the ideal would be an indeterminate number like in the Arrow Freighter or the DeltaGlider from which I am stealing, I mean learning code.
I would have to make a function that looks inside \\Textures\\Boeing_747\\B747SP\\Skins and inside each folder and applies some certain textures. For now I have only one folder (AEROARG) and it works, I am going to continue trying to apply the other textures that I need to apply.

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I must admit, I used to use Orbiter as a flight sim when FSX didn't work. Flightgear never was playable for me for some reason.
Another fine addition to the hangar!

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
I must admit, I used to use Orbiter as a flight sim when FSX didn't work. Flightgear never was playable for me for some reason.
Another fine addition to the hangar!
Thank you for your words!
In my case I am using FlightGear as inspiration to know what a 747 flight is like, how looks like the cockpit, etc.