New Orbiter SVN commit (r.71, Oct 14 2017)

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The current label legend config file documentation seems to be incorrect (but it might be valid after next commit)
I only got the selection Dialog working, and only with this "format":
Code:
C x O 255 255 255Cities
W o D 255 0 0Water
M o M 0 255 0Mountains
A x W 0 0 255Airports
Format:
<typeid> <default-visible> <symbol> <r> <g> <b><typename>

Note the "missing" space between <b> and <typename>! Else the name is listed with a leading space.

<typeid> is a character defining the type, corresponding to the IDs in the quadtree files,
<default-visible> is one of characters ‘x’ (visible by default) or ‘o’ (not visible by default),
<symbol> is a character defining the style of the marker symbol -one of 'S' (rectangle), 'O' (circle), 'D' (delta), 'N' (Nabla)-.
<r>, <g> and <b> are the red, green and blue components (0-255) of the colour with which the labels are displayed, and
<typename> is a string describing the label type.

But as noted, with this I was only able to let the selection dialog work - no rendering of the Labels (yet).

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
But as noted, with this I was only able to let the selection dialog work - no rendering of the Labels (yet).

Did you try debugging the new OVP D3D7 code to check what GetSurfaceMarkerLegend() returns in the struct? It's in the TileLabel class Render() method.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Did you try debugging the new OVP D3D7 code to check what GetSurfaceMarkerLegend() returns in the struct?
...kind of :lol:

The following...
PHP:
//...
const GraphicsClient::LABELTYPE *lspec;
DWORD dummy, nl = gc->GetSurfaceMarkerLegend(hObj, &lspec);
for (auto i = 0; i<nl; ++i) {
  ++dummy;
}
//...
...was inserted in some other project[1] I had lying around. But other that that, I did exactly that!

[1]...it wasn't OVP D3D7 :lol:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
...kind of :lol:

The following...
PHP:
//...
const GraphicsClient::LABELTYPE *lspec;
DWORD dummy, nl = gc->GetSurfaceMarkerLegend(hObj, &lspec);
for (auto i = 0; i<nl; ++i) {
  ++dummy;
}
//...
...was inserted in some other project[1] I had lying around. But other that that, I did exactly that!

[1]...it wasn't OVP D3D7 :lol:

Did it come up empty, then?

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Did it come up empty, then?
Didn't check the "empty" / "no config files" scenario, just started with your suggestion and tweaked them until it "fitted".

Just checked: In case of missing Label.cfg, GetSurfaceMarkerLegend() returns 0 and sets the LABELTYPE pointer to NULL! As expected.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Didn't check the "empty" / "no config files" scenario, just started with your suggestion and tweaked them until it "fitted".

What I meant was if you already tried the GetSurfaceMarkerLegend() call with your tweak (the one where you've got selection entries) and checked what was inside the struct. And whether it was empty or not.
Thing is: if it is not empty, I bet the D3D7 OVP client renders the labels, because the code suggests so. If it was empty - although you used the "showing entries" Label.cfg - there is some bug in Orbiter, at least in the OVP layer.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What I meant was if you already tried the GetSurfaceMarkerLegend() call with your tweak (the one where you've got selection entries) and checked what was inside the struct. And whether it was empty or not.
I tweaked the Label.cfg until the returned structure was plausible, so GetSurfaceMarkerLegend() works in general, but does not read the Label.cfg according to the documentation.

In case of missing Label.cfg, GetSurfaceMarkerLegend() returns 0 and sets the LABELTYPE pointer to NULL! As expected.

Thing is: if it is not empty, I bet the D3D7 OVP client renders the labels, because the code suggests so. If it was empty - although you used the "showing entries" Label.cfg - there is some bug in Orbiter, at least in the OVP layer.

OVP D3D7Client (external) might render the labels, inline doesn't.
I haven't bothered to compile D3D7Client :blush:

---------- Post added at 19:45 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

@martins: Hey Martin,

My compiler (Visual Studio 2015) complains about a superfluous 'typedef' in GraphicsAPI.h line 1675.

Code:
c:\Orbiter\D3D9ClientDevelop(Orbiter BETA r67)\Orbitersdk\include\GraphicsAPI.h(1675): warning C4091: 'typedef ': ignored on left of 'oapi::GraphicsClient::LABELTYPE' when no variable is declared (compiling source file AtmoControls.cpp)

I think he is right about that ;)

Would you mind removing that 'typedef'?

Code:
1669|	[COLOR="Red"]typedef[/COLOR] struct LABELTYPE {
1670|		char labelId;    // label type id
1671|		char markerId;   // marker shape id
1672|		COLORREF col;    // label colour
1673|		char *name;      // label type name
1674|		bool active;     // label type active?
1675|	};

Thanks in advance,
Kuddel

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Will the torrents be repacked as well with the new content?

Eventually - I mean, this is on my to-do list, but I have been struggling to find the time.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I was about to push a new commit to fix the missing files, but for some reason can't get access to the repository now. Is it just me or is the SVN repository down?

Anyway, I'll try again tomorrow.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Scrap last - problem was on my end. I've committed #68 now with the missing Label.cfg files. Also prepared label layer for Moon. Pick up the Moon labels from here. (I'll add the link to the download page tomorrow).

Please let me know if there are still problems.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Please let me know if there are still problems.
Seems OK so far.
But is it true that the inline engine currently (r.68) does not render the new labels?

Side Note: (from PlanetTextures.pdf)
<markerid> is a character defining the marker shape: ‘S’ (square), ‘O’ (circle), ‘D’ (Delta) or ‘N’ (Nabla)
...now the 'S' makes much more sense, than with my guess :lol:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Seems OK so far.
But is it true that the inline engine currently (r.68) does not render the new labels?

Nothing is showing on my end... :(

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Seems OK so far.

Well it does for me :shrug: Are you sure that you
  • set orbiter to accept compressed archives (Extra->Visualisation parameters->Planet rendering options->Tile sources: load from compressed archive only or Try cache first, then archive)
  • enabled surface markers (Ctrl-F9->Planetarium->Markers->Surface)?

I just checked out a fresh #68 to make sure, and the inline client does render the new labels ok.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Well it does for me :shrug: Are you sure that you
  • set orbiter to accept compressed archives (Extra->Visualisation parameters->Planet rendering options->Tile sources: load from compressed archive only or Try cache first, then archive)
  • enabled surface markers (Ctrl-F9->Planetarium->Markers->Surface)?

I just checked out a fresh #68 to make sure, and the inline client does render the new labels ok.
There's your problem. With "try cache" it doesn't work, but with "archive only" it does.

Man, there are a LOT of labels, even the villages around my middle-of-nowhere hometown have labels. :hailprobe:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Eventually - I mean, this is on my to-do list, but I have been struggling to find the time.
Thanks Xyon.

Just a memo for when you'll find time:
Besides the new label.tree files, I also meant the (missing) torrent for the new HRSC Mars textures.

:hailprobe:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
A new beta commit #69 should fix the missing labels when cache+archive loading is active. To add more beef to the commit I also implemented some experimental font sizing trickery.

There is also a new OVP commit #60 that implements the changes in the D3D7 client.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
A new beta commit #69 should fix the missing labels when cache+archive loading is active. To add more beef to the commit I also implemented some experimental font sizing trickery.

There is also a new OVP commit #60 that implements the changes in the D3D7 client.

Yes it's fixed, thanks! :hailprobe:
Any news on this and this?

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Yes it's fixed, thanks! :hailprobe:
Any news on this and this?

Ah sorry, I missed that one. As for the first question:

Yes, first vessel-specific MFD mode registered with VESSEL4::RegisterMFDMode receives ID 1000, and the ID is incremented by 1 for each subsequently registered mode. I'll update the description for RegisterMFDMode to say this.

The second one is a bit more intricate. The elevation grid Orbiter uses for computing vessel elevations, shadow normals, etc. is not necessarily the same as used for rendering the surface. For example, at high altitude, Orbiter doesn't use the highest available resolution tiles for computing altitudes, because that would require loading a new tile at each frame for each vessel. Even at low altitudes, the tile resolution may be capped to avoid too many reloads. However, this may require more fine-tuning. The question has come up before, and it's on my to-do list.