New Orbiter development screenshots

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I'm up to my neck in work, but I had to stop and come here to thank Martin (and everybody else) for this insanly awesome simulator! :thumbup:
:thankyou:

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
That I like :lol:

Orbiter Solar System Simulator <insert year>

It is really impressive work, but Im not sure it quite matches up to actual flight simulators, especially in the areas of internal physics and aerodynamics. Those areas are very advanced in actual flight simulators, whereas Orbiter has to contend with a whole different set of issues related to spaceflight simulation.

The graphics are all world though, just compare it alongside poor old celestia, and the relative difference is staggering.

Orbiter has an SDK. Think of how advanced say the XR or DG IV are as aircraft, that happen to fly in space. Good systems modeling.

All it takes is to start attracting new kinds of developers, with flight sim interests.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
That I like :lol:

Orbiter Solar System Simulator <insert year>

Most notable future versions of Orbiter (including name changes).
tji3k7c5imtpnvb6g.jpg

adsa7h86q2upmh66g.jpg

fwhjmxjx5p1gj7j6g.jpg

:cheers:

Last edited:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This is probably my favorite shot. Looks very good. The water seems to be transparent right where the delta-glider is located and the reflectivity seems to be increasing towards the horizon and it's reflecting the color of the sky. There is definitely some kind of Fresnel term included somehow. :thumbup:

florida8_new.jpg

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
This is probably my favorite shot. Looks very good. The water seems to be transparent right where the delta-glider is located and the reflectivity seems to be increasing towards the horizon and it's reflecting the color of the sky. There is definitely some kind of Fresnel term included somehow. :thumbup:

florida8_new.jpg

It happens to be my favourite one too. Thanks for the kudos - but now I'm actually embarrassed to reveal just what cheap trick I used to get this effect. As we know, I'm stuck in the last century with my trusty DX7 interface, so no pixel shaders in sight here.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It happens to be my favourite one too. Thanks for the kudos - but now I'm actually embarrassed to reveal just what cheap trick I used to get this effect. As we know, I'm stuck in the last century with my trusty DX7 interface, so no pixel shaders in sight here.

Carefully adjusted specular power and specular color?

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Not even that. It's just - a higher fog density on the water surface render pass. So water surfaces saturate earlier with the fog colour, which just happens to be approximately the sky colour. That's really all there is to it! Simple, but surprisingly effective. If nobody's thought of that before, I hereby claim my patent :lol:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I hereby claim my patent :lol:
Look, I did a thing on DX7! And we're on 2015! And Direct X 12 should be out in anytime ! :lol:

Though i have to say, good thinking. I expected some sort of hack with the horizon haze in place of proper fresnel driven reflections. As long as it works, it's :thumbup:

Marg

Reaction score
There is a very bad thing because of this... :) since April 2014 I spend little time in Orbiter 2010. Terrain support + DX9 client, is so huge step, that I only load Orbiter beta. The problem is that most addons do not work properly.
Thankfully X-15 project works by 90%, and I spent a lot of time recreating X-15 different flights from different directions (from Pyramid lake, etc.),
Often not going back to Edwards, but landing somewhere in other valleys.
My knowledge of South California, Nevada geography has increased significantly. I took SCA with Endeavour on top of it from Edwards to KSC as well. I remember I was doing this in 2006 (!!!, what a dramatic change since).

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, martins!

The screenshot of the new version of orbiter is looking really good! Thanks for sharing that with us!

Cheers,
Vincent