Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
That's exactly the point, I think. The game as-is feels like a play test, and that's exactly what it is. I half expect them to patch it soon, a lot of people have been having show-stopping bugs, and that mouse needs fixing for the welding minigame.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Did some team play, that's quite fun :lol:

"Arg who lost our last wrench ?" :rofl:

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Good tech-demo for the MMO, but nothing else. After a "match" I couldn't see myself playing more than a couple of rounds before getting fenomenally bored. And sure enough, after the second one, I already was.

I agree. There were some things I liked, some things I *really* didn't like, but all in all not much replay value. But a great tech demo if somebody picks it up and expands it.

Of course, I could just be looking at it wrong. Maybe all they intended was for it to be an 'awareness' inspiring teaching aid. Something to get people to play for an hour and think, "If we really wanted this, we could have it for real."

Vanguard

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
nvtt.dll with no SSE2 (unofficial Athlon XP fix)

Can't play it... crashes when using a SSE2 instruction on my old AMD CPU. Need a newer computer for it.

I had the same problem, but I got it to work. The only file that uses SSE2 instruction set is the nvtt.dll file. Image, and entire group of people excluded over one dll designed to help developers handle textures...

I downloaded the following and it worked great: http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=85817

Just extract the 3 files to:

...\Steam\SteamApps\common\moon base alpha\Binaries\Win32

or wherever nvtt.dll is on your install base, voila.

Vanguard

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Works now, thank you! Now I just have to learn the game mechanics ^^

AirSimming

Reaction score
I didn't try it yet. But it looks phantastic so far. On the other hand, I'm a little bit disappointed because NASA does not recreate Apollo and STS that way. Too bad it always has to be fiction.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Slooooooooooooow. Looks like my graphics card doesn't like it. Running around and repairing stuff works good, but it gets painful when driving robots and welding. So if anyone from here ever plays with me, let me carry the tools or doing astronaut repairs. :lol:

---------- Post added 11-07-10 at 00:15 ---------- Previous post was 10-07-10 at 23:57 ----------

Multiplayer is even worse, nothing working. It really should have more video options.

Turbinator

Reaction score
Astrosammy, you can edit the games .ini file manually. It contains all the settings you could ever imagine.

Code:
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\moon base alpha\Engine\Config

I should mention that there is a NASA MMO in development as well... this was a "test run" for it.
As stated by the developers on the games forums.

Located here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=835

Check this out:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laFOsE-UFho"]YouTube- Moonbase Alpha Boogie[/ame]

Last edited:

Chub777

Reaction score
I downloaded it. It's actually fun. I just race other people in the rovers. Hope they have new missions soon.

hribek

Reaction score
I thought it's an Alpha version of a Moonbase game. Or isn't it?

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you, Turbinator, I still have to use 1024x768 in window mode, but it runs smoothly. Still have to try multiplayer...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think it is a nice demo, but no complete game yet - despite the huge size of 1 GB.

The game play is too one-dimensional, that should get fixed. But it shows well what CAN be done.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This isn't the MMO, right? I can't see how it would work.

Even with 6 players it's hard to avoid "saboteurs" that spend their time ruining the game for everyone else. Maybe there could be some kind of voting system to get rid of them.

You can use the password option, but that would defeat the purpose of the game. It was meant to get people interested in space exploration, and meeting like-minded people is a big part of that. A password will limit the game to people you already know.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Even with 6 players it's hard to avoid "saboteurs" that spend their time ruining the game for everyone else. Maybe there could be some kind of voting system to get rid of them.

Voting against cheaters and team-killers is standard today.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When I create a own game I usually call it "OrbiterForum", so if anyone wants to play with me, just join.