Gaming Microsoft Flight Megathread

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I rember when I got my first flight simulator... I got flight simulator 98 on my 6th birthday... It took me a moneth to learn to fly a plane and even when I became moderately eperienced with the old sim I still kept crashing when I tried to land. And then I got simulator 2002 but it didn't work so Microsoft gave me 2002 developer edition. Then I got flight x two years ago. And then I found Orbiter...

But I can't wait for the new one to come out hopefully we can use some of the simulator for addons on orbiter.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
But I can't wait for the new one to come out hopefully we can use some of the simulator for addons on orbiter.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by the bolded statement?

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
To be fair, MS Flight needs to have quite a few improvements on just basic flight in the atmosphere before they should worry about flying above and beyond it.

Its handling of how turbo props work is sub-optimal, the way it deals with jets and the spooling and thrust is sub-optimal, the way it deals with slopped runways (ie not at all) needs improvement, weather, cloud generation, the mesh, all need improvement.

Granted alot of these things are improved upon or flat out overcome in add-ons, but some of these add-ons cost the same amount to significantly more than FSX does. It would be nice if MS Flight did not require such efforts.

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
I heard that MSF will not be good as FSX. MSF will NOT have a SDK. No add ons, No new aircraft. All default.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I heard that MSF will not be good as FSX. MSF will NOT have a SDK. No add ons, No new aircraft. All default.
Source? Because I seriously doubt that they wouldn't have an SDK, considering how popular third party add-ons were for FSX I'm pretty sure they'd include one in Flight.

FADEC

Reaction score

This is what I heard as well. There won't even be access to config files allegedly.

Now they are making advertising which suggests that MS Flight might be free to play: "Birds fly for free... so can you... fly free". But one still has to buy the game for sure. It would be free to play anyway. Dupery.

At first they eliminate the ACES team, and then they are going to release an arcade flying game with a name that suggests Flight Simulator is going to continue. I don't like the course they are taking. Reaching the casual user is a very bad sign for those who a serious with flight simulation. But, well, it's Microsoft.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Even if there were no SDK, people may hack it to create addons; like jailbreaking an ipod.

No SDK = no professional aircraft addons. Just some rudimentary free crap.

Last edited:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
At first they eliminate the ACES team, and then they are going to release an arcade flying game with a name that suggests Flight Simulator is going to continue. I don't like the course they are taking. Reaching the casual user is a very bad sign for those who a serious with flight simulation. But, well, it's Microsoft.

I had two feelings when I heard ACES was shut down. They were in the midst of FS11 when they got canned, and the reason they were shut down is because they were basically building FSX+1, and were flat out ignoring what the bosses at Microsoft were telling them, and thus they did not approve of the direction they were headed, so showed them the door.

ACES had a mindset that I and a lot of us share with flight sim, and that is to make the thing a serious piece of software so you can get to reach as realistic as it can in terms of simulating various forms of flight. So that part is sad that they get shown the door and Microsoft seems more interested in creating an acrade game to take its place.

However, FSX+1 would have been very very bad. FSX does have its issues, but those issues really cannot be properly addressed with just a new version built ontop of it.

FSX needs to be able to use modern hardware better, utilize the massive GPUs that are now available and not be so reliant on the CPU for performance. It needs to work better with the new Windows enviornment. Default vanilla FSX right out of the box with no tweaks will always feel more at home and be more stable in XP. It takes some work and tweaks to get that stability in Win Vista/7.
FSX needs more flexability with internal nav data, be able to more easily and dyamically update the scenery such as the mag dev, the vors, the airways and waypoints. Granted all the big time hi-fi payware add-ons all just use their own internal navigation database and pretty much ignores FSXs database until it comes time to tune the ILS (which is too basic and needs improvement as well).

So I do hope Flight, while marketed as more of a game for laypersons, that it still can function as a true FSX replacement. And if can't, well the Ivy Bridge is due next summer, so with that beast of a CPU then maybe we can stay in FSX and finally get to run with killer visuals and solid framerates, hardware released no less than 7 years after FSX was. :facepalm:

Pablo49

Reaction score
This is what I heard as well. There won't even be access to config files allegedly.
Do you have any source for this? That doesn't sound right at all. Apple isn't making the thing.

Keatah

Reaction score
Put on hold, eh? Well that's not a bad thing. They need to get it right before releasing it. And among all the rumors and pre-reviews - ll I saw was a mess of confusion.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Put on hold, eh? Well that's not a bad thing. They need to get it right before releasing it. And among all the rumors and pre-reviews - ll I saw was a mess of confusion.
I fail to see how people making up rumors means that they need to "get it right" before releasing it? Also, in the software world, "put on hold" pretty much means "not going to happen."

I hope not, but if so, I am disappoint.

Turbinator

Reaction score
At least Take On Helicopters is coming out in October.

http://www.takeonthegame.com/

tkoh_gc_1280x800_6.jpg

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Which is fine if you only want helicopters. If you want planes on the other hand... :dry:

Edit: Although I think Hielor is a bit quick to jump on the "They said their postponing it, it's never coming out" bandwagon.