Gaming Microsoft Flight Megathread

DarkEnergy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm going to stay optimistic about this. It's too early to tell one way or the other. After the agony of ACES being fired, this is a small ray of hope.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Wait what?

"Ported Xbox game?"

How do you figure? What XBox game do you think this was ported from? Do you know something we don't? It's rather too early to proclaim it a failure already, especially since we don't know anything at all about the title other than that it involves airplanes.

Are you kidding? That is the trend lately. Make the game primary for X360 or PS3 and port to other platforms. That is why we got absurd ports such as Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising.

You company put out a VERY good OS and It was one of the best 100USD I have ever spent. But getting rid of the ACES team... And expecting us to have hope that this Flight is anything more than "The magic of flight" That is much.

Turbinator

Reaction score
:blink: on what? (your profile has no hardware specs / i'm too dumb to find it)

Intel X58 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7 975 3.33GHz (8MB Cache) Extreme Edition Quad Core Processor
6GB and Triple-Channel 1600MHz DDR32 Memory
Dual 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 5870 - ATI CrossFireX
Running 6 500 Gb SATA HDDs on 3 RAIDs.

Last edited:

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Personally I'm wondering how long it took to render all the frames for that video, but this should be interesting. I wish they could've been a bit more specific about it...

My blatantly under-thought opinion so far::blahblah: Why'd they remove the "Simulator" from it? And why is it "for everyone"? THIS MAKES ME VERY SUSPICIOUS! :dry:

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Intel X58 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7 975 3.33GHz (8MB Cache) Extreme Edition Quad Core Processor
6GB and Triple-Channel 1600MHz DDR32 Memory
Dual 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 5870 - ATI CrossFireX
Running 6 500 Gb SATA HDDs on 3 RAIDs.

You don't need this kind of power to Max FSX tho. You could likely match this performance in FSX by an AMD Kuma or Athlon II overclocked to 3.6 or so and if you have atleast 1GB of fast RAM on the video card I suspect max cards from ATi 3X and Nvidia 8X series could max it as well.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
"Reinventing these iconic franchises with social, shared experiences at their core marks the beginning of our return to PC gaming in bold new ways."

So, what, there's going to be a MS flight game on Facebook?

"n122vu needs landing gears in Microsoft Flight! Click here to visit his airstrip and help him out!"

Turbinator

Reaction score
So, what, there's going to be a MS flight game on Facebook?
"n122vu needs landing gears in Microsoft Flight! Click here to visit his airstrip and help him out!"

happy-face.gif

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Microsoft flight

first of all, sorry if theres already a thread for this, but searching for "Microsoft flight" is basically the same as searching "Microsoft flight simulator", and there is now (and as of almost a year ago) a big difference between the two. if there is another thread, could someone please delete this thread so i dont look like a clot

next, i want to make it clear that ive only just found out about this, and i dont work for microsoft :p

the timing of my findings is actually quite clever, only yesterday, i discovered FSX had "Realism" settings, and i understood why my flight physics had been so... 1970's (it seems the default is almost 100% easy settings). however, i still found it impossible to spin, and the autorudder is a necessity due to my ageing joystick.
i thought to myself, "we really need a new flight simulator, one that has the simulation quality of X-Plane, and the ease of access, and easily understandable program navigation and controls like FSX", and it seems easier to work from FSX to X-Plane, rather than vice versa

but im craving to know more about it, the official site is so secretive, im doubting if half the dev team even knows what everyone else is doing. does anyone know of a good source of information on this project? or have they heard credible rumours themselves?

it might be worth sending a 2000 word e-mail describing what they're being expected to deliver here, and in fact, i will do once i post this, ive recently been thinking a bit about the perfect flight simulator.

so, assuming that this isnt a second thread for the topic, lets pool together some rumours (hopefully credible ones) and work out what MS is toiling away with in their virtual basement

Slaintemaith

Old Timer
Reaction score
I suspect that "Flight" will be more focused on "Oooooh, pretty!" rather than the physics of flight.

Apollon

Reaction score
Well said Slaintemaith.
FLIGHT is going to be an arcade game, they actually said that personally.
And there is no computer on earth that can run it on MAX.
Just another big fail by Microsoft, the most stable is FS2004, FSX is full of bugs.
X-Plane 10 will be the best simulator on market.
X-Plane and Orbiter FTW!

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
first of all, sorry if theres already a thread for this, but searching for "Microsoft flight" is basically the same as searching "Microsoft flight simulator", and there is now (and as of almost a year ago) a big difference between the two.
No problems with searching at all. The relevant thread was on the first page of search results. Threads merged.

FADEC

Reaction score
Just another big fail by Microsoft, the most stable is FS2004, FSX is full of bugs.

So true. FS2004 still is my workhorse. Combined with my 5 GB of addons (not unpacked!) it beats FSX anyway, especially in performance. And there is also a lot of money in all the addons which I don't want to throw away.

I think so as well. X-Plane 10 finally will include ATC. And if you look at the standard airplanes, well, it makes FSX and FS Flight look like a toy...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Ox--mzFok"]Default 747-400 inside future X-Plane 10 - YouTube[/ame]

And not to mention the Shuttle...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tE12YZIUJY&NR=1"]X-Plane 10 Promo - YouTube[/ame]

:cheers:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well said Slaintemaith.FLIGHT is going to be an arcade game, they actually said that personally.
And there is no computer on earth that can run it on MAX.
X-Plane and Orbiter FTW!
I think it's far too early to close the book on Flight as being just an "arcade game."

While they have said that they are trying to expand the audience to include more casual simmers than before, I have no doubt that the people working on Flight are very aware of the history of the program and the nature of its existing user base. I doubt they'll throw all that out the window on a whim.

Disregarding your ridiculous and untrue statement that FSX is "full of bugs" (I and many others use it with few issues), I'm curious as to where you get your information about the "arcade game" and also about the "no computer on earth that can run it on MAX". Even the simple [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight"]wikipedia article[/ame] disagrees with you on both counts:
it has been said that it is looking to appeal to flying enthusiasts with the realism and accuracy shown in the previous titles of Microsoft Flight Simulator, but also will include other types of gameplay that appeal more to novices.
Microsoft has stated that they have taken the performance issues of FSX into account during development and will optimize the new simulator to run on newer computer technologies.

The problem with FSX's performance (as I've mentioned several times on this site) is that when it was developed, processor speeds were getting faster and faster and multi-core CPUs weren't mainstream. The development team had every reason to expect that 4+GHz processors would be common within a year or two after release. That didn't happen--instead, CPUs trended toward more cores and lower clock speeds, an environment for which FSX had not been optimized. FSX performance really only depends on the speed of your processor, which is why a single-core 3.4GHz CPU from six years ago performs almost as well, if not as well as, a modern quad-core 2.4GHz CPU, all else being equal.

This time around, parallelism is obviously here to stay, so I have no doubts the development team will be spending quite a bit of time optimizing for that sort of thing.

As for X-Plane--they have shown in the past that they are completely out of touch with what real people actually want in a desktop sim and instead focus on features that really only benefit people with multi-tens-of-thousands-dollars setups. Hopefully X-Plane 10 will be different, but 9 was a huge disappointment compared to FSX.

Grover: Regarding more information about Flight, pretty much everything that's to be known is out on the internet, although it can be hard to separate the rumors from truth--it seems to be still in the "those who know can't say, and those who say don't know" stage. I doubt anyone here will have more real info for you :)

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
well, ive found a kinda credible release date, feb 2012, which seems a bit optimistic unless it really is secret development and theyre actually up to coding in fuzzy dice and cupholders to stall for time till their release date :p

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
If you say X-plane 10 makes FSX look like a toy, the you clearly have not seen the NGX.

And why on Earth would I want to fly a Space Shuttle in an atmospheric flight simulator? And when there is SSMS available?

Granted, FSX takes a huge machine to fly in it, and a list of addons (which unlike the Orbiter world, FSX is all payware). And if Flight had no other upgrades in it other than being optimised to deal with modern GPUS and Direct X 11, that would be enough.

FSX with a few tweaks here and there is many times more stable than Orbiter is, so I find the comment about FSX being full of bugs is utter nonsense.

Turbinator

Reaction score
I find X-Plane to be very cold, alienating, and user-unfriendly. There is something about that program that leaves you feeling cold and empty. There is just something inherently "wrong" with it.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I find X-Plane to be very cold, alienating, and user-unfriendly. There is something about that program that leaves you feeling cold and empty. There is just something inherently "wrong" with it.

i kinda agree, definitely on the "user-unfriendliness".

perhaps flight could offer a new sense of progress to the flight sim world. if anyone has ever used airhauler (which is also available for X-Plane i believe) or fspassengers, thats the kind of immersion i mean, imagine the realistic flight sim, with incentives for good flight, and penalties for the bad, i just did a one hour flight in my cessna 172, made a bunch of virtual money, and it feels good :D

perhaps ill put that in my e-mail... that way i wont have to pay extra for fspassengers: MS flight version