Gaming Microsoft Flight Megathread

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Edit: Although I think Hielor is a bit quick to jump on the "They said their postponing it, it's never coming out" bandwagon.
Note that there has been no official statement as to whether it's been postponed--it's just a 1-minute comment from a guy who heard from an "inside source" that it's been postponed.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
I hope it is just a groundless rumor. While X-Plane has indeed made some gains. (X-Plane 10 looks to finally compete with FSX) The civil flight simulation sector is stalling.

Also the store part of MS Flight has huge potential to help payware developers. It would be sad to not see that come to market.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
id much rather they took another year to release it than release it when its not up to our expectations, i think we all would; just think of the good coding they could manage if its done at a slow pace, because good (IE efficient) coding means we dont need £1000 computers to run it well.

and i dont know where the idea came from, but this will DEFINATLEY be better than FSX. they sacked the ACES team for slacking (according to what ive read anyway) and they want a healthy profit, so it HAS to be better, or it wont sell, and microsoft takes another big hit to the coffers

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
id much rather they took another year to release it than release it when its not up to our expectations, i think we all would; just think of the good coding they could manage if its done at a slow pace, because good (IE efficient) coding means we dont need £1000 computers to run it well.
That's just it--"on hold" doesn't mean they're going to be working on it for another year before releasing it. It means they're not working on it. If they decide to release it a year later, it won't be any better for the year that it wasn't getting worked on--it'll be the same thing (if not worse due to interruptions), just a year later.

:(

Some good news, though--A German website is apparently spreading counter-rumors saying that the "on hold" rumor is false: (from Wikipedia) "The next day, a German flight simulation website circulated a short article stating that this rumor was totally false and that Flight was still proceeding forth as planned (see: Wrong Message To Microsoft Flight)."

Yay for rumors!

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Indeed, yay!

Apparently, the guy who made the video was banned from avsim for some reason, or at least he looks to be known there for calling the site "avsuck". If this is true, I don't know how reliable his information about the hold might be.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
good news all round! and a release date in 2012 is promising :D

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Looks like the rumor is false.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

In my opinion the guy from that video desperately wanted attention. In my opinion his attacking of AVsim ought to have been the sign that the rumor was an attention grab. If not that Microsoft is now clearing FSX stock.

Edit: Got to say I am loving the new images. The weather engine in FSX is pretty nice and this just adds to it!

Last edited:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
i cant read the news page on my browser, could someone quote what it says so i can read it? im not fussed about the images, you can see them in the gallery

thanks

Jarvitä

Reaction score
i cant read the news page on my browser, could someone quote what it says so i can read it? im not fussed about the images, you can see them in the gallery

thanks

OK, I understand MS pushing MS software, but seriously, I'm not installing Silverlight just so I can read text articles. What possessed them when they were making that abomination of a website?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
OK, I understand MS pushing MS software, but seriously, I'm not installing Silverlight just so I can read text articles. What possessed them when they were making that abomination of a website?
There's more than just text articles, there's also videos and pictures. The site is actually pretty slick.

A huge portion of the web uses pages that you need Flash to see, why can't Microsoft use a page that needs Silverlight to see?

Also, good to see that it's not "on hold" after all!

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
I agree. Also Silverlight tends to pioneer various technologies long before Flash.

Such as GPU acceleration for instance.

Avsim and other sites got quite worked up over the rumor. I hope this means this ten minute guys viewership will plummet.

But at the same time it does expose the interest in Microsoft flight. FSX came so close. A few things like better hypersonic and maybe LEO flight, VNAV, optimization, and fixes and we are pretty much golden.

Edit: I am just stunned at the amount of whiners on various forums when it comes to Flight. Many just wont stop saying it is FSX with live and SP on top.

If that was the case why would Microsoft spend the amount of money and time on it? Then of course you have the ones that can't accept the days of disc media are over and are horrified at the fact that Flight may do payware addons through Live.. THE HORROR!!!! No more game breaking addons that override a bunch of core files easily installed. Small time developers getting some attention through the marketplace. THE HORROR!!!!

Ya I too was horrified at first. Yet this is 2011. The days of new flight simulator every couple of years is over. The days of having part of your entire monthly budget for payware addons.. over. If small time developers of extremely detailed craft are to have any chance and the chance for the simulator in general. There NEEDS to be a Steam like marketplace. If one does not accept that then stick with FSX or X-Plane which either work well in modern systems.

Edit2: I also mise as well come out and say that I will accept if Flight does not allow free addon development. Tho this is a rare possibility I would personally rather there be incentive to actually go and purchase a high quality small dev 767 for instance rather than do what most seem to do which is fly some half ass made model because it has a cool logo and fly at 70,000 ft. Flight is NOT Orbiter. Different methods to addon development and community.

Last edited:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
i partly agree. the LIVE marketplace (like steam) is definatley a good idea, because pirating the stuff will be VERY difficult (though probably not impossible) so devs get a much better return on their products, and so release more high quality addons.
besides which, this allows for a central MS rating, so youll only buy the good craft thanks to customer reviews and such

and if youre worried about having to pay for them, im sure there will still be freeware addons, after all, steam has them

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Yes steam does have them. But they don't allow just any mod to go up. It has to pass their internal safety checks and quality.

If Microsoft did the same at the very least we will stop seeing half ass addons flooding your searches.