Idea Mercury and Gemini add-on improvements

Columbia42

Reaction score
The model looks good, 4throck!
I have no idea how they would get off the lunar surface. The question is, did anyone ever think about that part of the mission? Maybe the lunar gemini lander was never that seriously considered.

Puma

Reaction score
There is a film from 1968 "Countdown" which used a Gemini spacecraft for a lunar mission, I think is a good model to start with..the add-on could be released as a fictional scenario inside the latest Gemini add-on release..

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Not happening...at least by me. I stick to the actual historic stuff. Still getting my ass kicked by the pneumonia and the personal losses. Hope to get back to it in a week or so. We'll see...

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
My understanding is that it was just a study and never a serious mission proposal. Prety much like the many Mars mission plans put forward over the years.

What's nice is that such a lunar Gemini can be put together using the existing meshes in Orbiter. Not perfect but doable.

From my perspective, the most interesting mission is the direct lunar landing, using [SIZE=-1] 2 Apollo Service Modules and a LM descent stage.

» The thing goes up on a Saturn, and [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]the translunar injection is done by S-IVB stage[/SIZE], with the assistance of the first Apollo SM.
[SIZE=-1]
» The second SM get you into lunar orbit and down close to the surface.

» The LM stage performs the final landing and lifts of from the Moon to a transearth trajectory.

It's interesting because there are no dockings, and it's like a rocket with many many stages :).

As I said, doable in Orbiter with the parts we already have, but perhaps a little too complex for what's worth...
[/SIZE]

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Not really for Lunar Gemini. Other projects have been taking up my time.

Nevertheless, as I mentioned before, it's really just a matter of using multistage, velcro or spacecraft dlls and setting up the lauch configuration. It can be based on Velcro Saturns, for example, requiring no new meshes or any special programing. Anyone can do it :thumbup:.

Graham2001

Reaction score
How about skins for a couple of fictional missions.

1. The original version of 'Marooned' (at least according to Wikipedia) named its Mercury 'Mercury 7'

2. The Mercury mission in 'A Flight of Chariots' by Australian author Jon Cleary is called 'Columbia 12' (The author adds five more astronauts to the Mercury Seven).

I've got some ideas for the second one which I lack the skill to carry out. Columbia is a dove, and since the character who flies it is married to an Australian, how about a dove carrying a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_paw]kangaroo paw in its beak

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wondering if there's still any interest in the Gemini upgrades I'd been working on?

Finally managed to get my life back into some semblance of order and will have a little time to finish up the remaining details.

However, be aware that I have NOT downloaded the latest version of Orbiter...at least as of yet (and for that matter have no idea if Gemini is a working addon for it or not), so this would only be "guaranteed" to run in the last patched version of Orbiter. If Gemini is in fact working in the new Orbiter, this should probably work as well, but since I'm not familiar with the working parameters of the new version, I can't promise it.

So...worth finishing...yay or nay?

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks Star Voyager. As the song goes..."what a long, strange trip it's been!"

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
By all means get back to work on it! As for Orbiter2010 I think it Gemini is at least functional (no CTDs) but I'm unsure about the EVA.
Nevertheless I don't mind using Orbiter2006 just for Gemini / Mercury.

I had the change to get a close look at a Gemini capsule! It's the Gemini Paraglider Test Tow Vehicle 2 displayed at the National Museum of Scotland.

My camera it not that great but I managed to photo some details of the capsule construction (bolts, joints, etc) that I'm sure you will like to see. I think that the real capsules shouldn't be that different from this boilerplate. Here's a link to the photos: http://picasaweb.google.pt/4throckrn/SpaceGeminiTTV2?feat=directlink

Of course, the paraglider is interesting on itself.

I don't have much info on it, and I guess that the gliders painted on the sides are successful tests.
P1010852.JPG

I interpret the R/C as remote controlled flights and M or MM as maned by one or two astronauts.

P1010858.JPG

Also, I have never seen the "Paraglider Spacecraft Recovery" patch before.

Cool stuff!

Last edited:

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I'm really itching to get back in here and finish this up (I'll be digging in this weekend). Really missed Orbiter AND the community.

Sorry this has taken so long. I just could not focus or "get it together" the last 7 months or so.

I gotta tell ya...I still love women (just not THAT one), and don't EVER let your guard down around 'em!!! :nono:...:lol:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Regarding the Gemini TTVs, I've found all the information regarding the actual flights and dates.

It's on this report:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=8...=all&Ntx=mode+matchall&Ns=HarvestDate%7c1&N=0

(direct link to PDF: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19680072651_1968072651.pdf )

The quality of the scan is bad, but the flight tables are readable. There's also a detailed description of instruments and procedures, very interesting if someone wants to simulate it in the future.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Finally back to work on the project! Angles of the pad piping are very awkward so the going is slow, but progress is still progress...

---------- Post added 08-23-10 at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-22-10 at 01:56 PM ----------

New Oxidizer farm and associated plumbing...

LCi9OxidizerFarmPiping.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Got the fuel farm & pipes to finish and recheck LC14 & the Agena. Should be ready for upload at that point. Well, the Launch complex anyway. There's a few more odds & ends I want to look at on the recovery ops so It'll likely be a 2-part upload.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And the fuel farm & piping...

LC19FUELFarmPiping.jpg

Close to calling this one a "wrap." Gotta write the scenarios and instructions yet though...

BTW: the gantry is only missing because in order to cram all this detail into the launch complex, it had to be rendered as a seperate mesh with its own animation.

Last edited:

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Close up view of the completed Fuel Farm...

LC19OxyFarm.jpg

And the Oxidizer Farm...

LC19FUELFarm.jpg

All that remains are the piping support bases from the Oxi Farm & the telephone poles. Truthfully, I'd forgotten how much detail was in this launch complex, but there's light at the end of the tunnel...but with my luck, it's probably a freight train! :lol:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns