Idea Mercury and Gemini add-on improvements

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hey Don,

great work there on the Gemini upgrade! Estar's Gemini was the add-on I taught myself orbital mechanics back in the summer of 2003. I just wanted to go the same route as in the real world.

One thing, and sorry if I missed something (I'm a bit out of the "Orbiter-Loop" for playing MSFS a lot in the last two years), though it seems my installation is missing the "ATDA.msh". That's what the Orbiter log says. When checking the Orbiter\meshes\ATDA folder, none such mesh can be found in there.
I am getting a crash with the "The angry Alligator" scenario, and also with the ATDA launch scenario, right after orbit insertion and the probable upcoming Agena Target docking adapter mesh creation. I was really looking forward to admire the Angry Alligator mesh and scenarios, so any help is appreciated.
Any ideas? Thank you!

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
This should be solved already yesterday. When did you download the add-on? If you did before yesterday, I guess you should download it again ;)

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Okay. That did it. Thank you. :tiphat:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Thank you, but you'd have to ask 4th rock how he got it to run in 2010. I've never seen it...

BTW 4throck, that ground mesh makes all the difference in the world. I'm still amazed at the way our work dovetailed so well. It makes that whole launch complex come alive. Real pleasure working with you! :cheers:

Regarding Orbiter 2010: It works fine as it is, but the surface tiles are incompatible with the default terrain. It's just a matter of copying the tiles from the standard canaveral.cfg to the one used here.

SaturnV, I'm VERY :thumbup: happy with the overall integration of all elements. On my end, I've tried to use my Atlas re-textures and I really really like the way it all looks. One thing I might do is to try to match the ground texture colors to the 2010 default (more green). And LC14 might also benefit from better terrain...
I'm sure that we will work together in the future :cheers:.
If I may, we can redo Mercury as a simple spacecraft3 implementation, using the avaliable meshes, sounds, etc. I really miss it in 2010 and i don't see a proper custom dll version anytime soon. Little Joe and Big Joe are already done. No pressure, no timelines, but is it something you feel like doing ? :)

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I want to finish up the Gemini recovery stuff before I start anything else, but yes, it's something I'd be interested in.

I think it would be possible to do it as an sc3 vessel, but a lot of the functionality of the current Mercury release would be lost.

Hmmm...also would require a serious overhaul of LC5 & LC14...you up for doing some new ground meshes?

Let me get my ducks in a row with the Gemini recovery stuff and we'll take it from there...

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Yes, right now I dont' what and can't start anything.
BUT some ground meshes might be the start of it sometime in the future.

SC3 would indeed be very limited.
Yet, as the pilot would have to perform all the maneuvers manually (no auto attitude systems) that might be fun (more to do). Also, a SC3 implementation can be the useful if someone wants to code a custom .dll as far I know.

Last edited:

Columbia42

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying estar's Project Mercury 5.0 doesn't work in Orbiter 2010? Because I haven't had any problems with it so far.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Please see this thread:

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=20975

and (in French):

http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/read.php?f=5&i=21680&t=21680&page=2

Basically, it needs a patch to run in 2010 (as far as I know) and there's talk on the French forum in doing an update with VC. I'd love to see that. I've already done half of the panel texturing (for Mercury X) so I wouldn't mind contributing, BUT my French is limited to "read only". (It would be good if the guys on the Francophone forum kept an eye here. No point in duplicating efforts, although anyone is free to develop what they please)

fort

Reaction score
4throck,

I'm not from the team nor on the french forum. I wanted to give you the link for the case. Bibi Uncle is searching for all developers wich could help, with Robert Conley, in all domains of competences, to renew the project. You could maybe try to post on the ibiblio.org forum.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Okay guys,

Trying to finish up the last few details on the Gemini recovery addon and need some input here.

The addon is managed by SC3. The Helicopter & astronauts are configured for parent/child attachments so they can be recovered on the Helo's hook.
Everything IS operational...

AttachmentQuestion.jpg

What I need to know is, once the astronaut is hoisted up to the Helicopter, is there a way (within the parameters of SC3) to transfer the astronaut into the chopper so the other astronaut can be recovered, and if so, how would I manage this? Please don't suggest writing a dll, 'cause that's not going to happen (unless someone with the experience to do it volunteers).

If it is not possible, that's fine...I'd just like to know.

As it currently stands, you have to return to the carrier with the first astronaut, drop him off, and go back for the other pilot.

I'd prefer a little more historic accuracy, but if that's the best that can be done with SC3, that'll have to do.

Columbia42

Reaction score
What you could do is release the first astronaut from the hook onto a docking port that is positioned inside the helicopter. That way the hook would be free to retrieve the other astronaut and dock him to the helicopter as well. The only downside is that you won't be able to land with the astronauts docked so you'd have to use the hook again to drop them on the carrier before you land on it.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. Already considered and tried it. The results were...uh...less than convincing :compbash2:...:lol:.

And there is the issue of being unable to land as you pointed out.

I guess I should also mention that some time ago, Alain (of AMSO fame) granted me permission to use his helicopter dll if I wanted it, but I've not pursued that any further because there would DEFINITELY be compatibility issues running Gemini and AMSO in the same installation.

Oh well...it is what it is. Guess I'll just have to make do with what I've got. Thanks...

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Hmm...next question - is it possible to have multiple animation sequences that involve the attachment point?

The hook raises the astronaut to the helicopter door, but now I need to translate him backward into the chopper so the door can be closed for return to the carrier.

Can't figure out how to word the ini file to accomplish this...

Last edited:

Columbia42

Reaction score
In regards to my earlier post I don't know much about attachments or animations involving attachments but couldn't you instead of the docking port have another attachment point? The astronaut would be transfered between attachments when entering the helicopter.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You've got it. "translate'

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You've got it. "translate'

Yes, I know he needs to "translate" backward into the chopper. The problem is, I can't seem to configure the ini correctly to do this.

Would this need to be defined as a seperate animation sequence, or part of the sequence that raises & lowers the hook/attachment point?

I've tried both ways, but all I've managed to do is make him disappear completely when I go to attach him in the first place :blink:.

Last edited: