Inspiration from Space

marcheenek

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello Orbinauts!

I work for a diversified pharmaceutical company and this year we are going through some major changes - the pharma R&D will be spun-off the mother company as an independent entity. With these news last year came anxiety and fear for our future.

So, our leaders decided to lift our spirits and invited two guests, who gave us inspirational speech about challenge, persistence, courage and teamwork. I took a pic with my cellphone - the guy in the middle is James Lovell, commander of Apollo 13, and the guy to the right is Gene Kranz - flight director of Mission Control.

It was an indescribable experience to be in the same room with those guys, listen to first-hand report from the mission, and hear "Houston, we've got a problem!" from Lovell :thumbup:
I got goosebumps on my skin when Lovell was describing as he looked at oxygen gauge and saw a plume of gas being lost in the space. And how he described his anger and sorrow as he realized that they will never touch the Moon surface, because their efforts had to be redirected to survive the trip back to Earth.
And how they had to manually hold Earth terminator in target sight to perform 17 second correction burn that would prevent them from skipping Earth's atmosphere.
Gene Kranz told us how they used "computers" - a hundred of women with calculators :lol: plotting trajectories. And how they acquired their first building-size computer... that no one at NASA didn't know how to operate :lol:

Well, I gotta tell you - Kranz is 78, Lovell 83 - despite their age, you still can tell at a glimpse that those guys have balls of steel. They've deserved to be a legend.

Attachments

• Apollo13.jpg
    Apollo13.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 31

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
That must've been pretty amazing.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
my god! that's two of my all-time heroes right there :salute:

man, that's almost too much awesome for a single event :jawdrops:

marcheenek

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yep, it was.

And they said that the movie was 'quite accurate'.

At some point they showed a slide with Earth in target sight and some data for correction burn and numbers for burn time, dV, reentry angle etc. I was wondering how many people in the audience knew what they were :cool:

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hug him for me. It is my life's goal to hug someone who went to the moon!