HyperDart - A new spaceplane

Travis Reed

Unstable
Reaction score
First time out with the HyperDart (that I can remember, anyway...) and I managed to get my ApA somewhere above 650km with more than enough fuel left in the main engine tanks to circularize. However, I decided to circularize to around 364km instead. And I still have enough main engine fuel left for deorbiting. I probably could have gone higher if I'd wanted to... Anyway, I started with Mission 3, the Orbital test. I thought that this thing wasn't supposed to be able to go that high...something about tight margins for error...

Also, my initial test failed (was based off of mission 7, launching from Wideawake). First failure was the XL-70's gear collapsing as I came to a stop on the runway after taxiing from the hangar. Second failure was that the button used to release the Dart from the XL-70 didn't show up, even though the Dart seemed to be attached. For now I'll chalk that second failure up to user error (as I'd experimented with the J key and variations thereof to release before I RTFM).

I did also note that the XL-70s ground steering was not as smooth as the steering that hielor's NoseWheelTurn gives to the XR2. It jerks a bit. I did test both with hielor's module active, then inactive to make certain that there was no interference.

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Late reply here, but life is always int he way ;)

TR, you are a much better pilot than I am :) I doubt I could get the HD that high with fuel left over. Doing "tight margins of error" is difficult. I don't want to have something that only 5% of the community can use, but I don't want something too easy either.

I just figured out the issue with Mission 7. It appears that having two XL70s in the scenario is causing the problem. If you edit the second XL70 out of the scenario file the launch button works like it should. I'll have to go check out the XL70 code to see why they are interfering with each other.

I'm not sure what the issue with the nose wheel steering is. the code is just a cut and paste of heilor's code. I never tried the plugin version to see if it was smoother. If not it may be something with the XL.

On a side note (if you didn't see it in my blog) I added bay lights to the HyperDart and engine lights too. the bay lights are controlled by the bay doors. It is really cool to be able to see what is going on in the bay on the dark side of the earth now :)

GoForPDI

Good ol' Max Peck
Reaction score
I'm having troubles with getting the Hyper Dart to work, every time I load up any Hyper Dart scenario, it crashes on me.

Any help? Really want to try out this badboy :)

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Make sure you have UMMU and Universal RMS installed

GoForPDI

Good ol' Max Peck
Reaction score
Got it now :) Thanks! What a fine flying machine this is, really enjoying it.

NuttyPro67

Reaction score
With respect, CigDriver, you may go back to post 1 with your download link and add "UMMU and [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3373"]URMS[/ame] required" with links to each below your main download link, I CTD'd the first time I used your dart for this reason and it seems to be a common problem (I only knew the URMS was needed 'cause I read the log). Also, finding URMS and UMMU can be a pain for someone not completely familiar with orbiter.

Other than that, EXCELLENT model and I LOVE the virtual cockpit, very nice job!

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hi CigDriver,this is a weird problem,the XL70 has weird graphical glitches streaking outwards from it's cockpit panel lights, but the Hyperdart panel is fine.

Interceptor

Reaction score
Nope getting those same graphical glitches also with the HyperDart panel,but not as bad as the XL70 panel.
in orbiter2006,and2010P1.

Last edited:

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting, never heard that before :) Can you post a picture?

Interceptor

Reaction score
OK,heres a pic, where the purple ring,and arrow point is, also black flashing blocks but,not in this shot.
Thanks, Great plane BTW.

Attachments

• XL70 VC.JPG
    XL70 VC.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 151

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey CigCriver,is there anyway you could add a feature that could control the velocity of the cargo deployment.Trying to catch cargo with the URMS is very tricky.:cheers:

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
That is weird, I'm not sure what is causing it. It appears to be a geometry error. Since others are not reporting I wonder if it is something with your graphics card. you might want to try re-downloading in case the .msh file got corrupted some how.

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hey CigCriver,is there anyway you could add a feature that could control the velocity of the cargo deployment.Trying to catch cargo with the URMS is very tricky.:cheers:
I've got a bug with the first UCGO container that is released. For some reason it zooms out super fast, all the rest go at the intended speed of 0.1m/s. I'm not sure why this is happening, it is set globally, something I'm investigating. In the mean time (as an ugly work around) you can load an extra cargo in an empty slot and release it. then your intended cargo will release at the intended speed.

Hey cig is it possible to launch the HD from Kulches energia without any damage? if so how?:)

I guess it would depend on the launch profile. I've never tried it, but it sounds cool. As long as the heat and dynp don't build too fast you should be ok. One thing you'll want to do is lower the main fuel on board, the thrusters are set for pretty much no main fuel. The built in autopilots will not work well with a fully loaded HyperDart.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To make that fix a little less painful, here is a simple UCGO cargo weighing one gram with no visual model. Uses T.Neo's "Dummy Mesh."

If you're stingy about the mass, UCGO requires the cargo to have a mass or else it won't load via in-game cargo editor. Pretend a bug got squashed on the windshield or something... :lol:

Attachments

• HDNothingCargo.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey,Cig thanks for the answers, could my graphics bug in the VC cockpit be caused by not having a certain visual C++,or net frame,maybe?

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
I have tested the hyperdart with the intention of integrating that and the Valkyrie into multiplayer but ran into an issue.

The virtual cockpit drops the framerate massively. Low poly version please?

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Sadly poly-count isn't the problem, my bad coding skills are :) At some point I'll work on code efficiency and see if I can get the fps higher.

On a side not I just blasted an HD into orbit on an the Energy Project, works quite nice :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sadly poly-count isn't the problem, my bad coding skills are :) At some point I'll work on code efficiency and see if I can get the fps higher.

On a side not I just blasted an HD into orbit on an the Energy Project, works quite nice :)

Can I give you a hint? Only paint textures (or 2D surfaces) if you really need to. You can do many indicators by manipulating texture coordinates in the VC mesh, which means only the vertex data of the mesh needs to be transfered every time step.