Project Here goes nothing: The Delta-StarLiner G42

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
true... but in the other hand, if i don't, ppl won't be able to download it and fly right away without VC++

perhaps i should zip them up and include it separately

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
true... but in the other hand, if i don't, ppl won't be able to download it and fly right away without VC++

perhaps i should zip them up and include it separately
Precisely. The user should not need to delve into the intricates of software development just to use it, and the developer should no be expected to like the unnecessary bloat of intermediate and finalized files, or the push of personal files. Only include files that are generated by humans (such as source files), and files needed to guide one or more programs to the finalized product (such as project files, but NOT files like ones with the extensions *.ncb, *.suo and *.user in the specific case of MSVC projects, as they are not crucial and change periodically, further bloating the repository).

As a rule of thumb, include only the bare minimum for it to compile.

Another side note: binary files aren't SCM-friendly. Use text formats instead (RTF instead of ODF or DOC, for example) when possible, unless it changes infrequently.

Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i see, indeed, MSVC generates a lot of "garbage"... i'm trying to clean up this mess, but git seems to have bugged out on me over some deleted files :blink:

jaybtlr

Reaction score
i got the files and i selected the DGa2 launch scen. but it quits leaving this in the orbiter.log:

>>> ERROR: Could not load vessel module:
>>> [C:\Source\Orbiter\Vessel.cpp / 4982]
>>> ERROR: DGa2
>>> [C:\Source\Orbiter\Vessel.cpp / 4983]
>>> ERROR: No vessel class configuration file found for:
>>> ERROR: DynamicPlanet
>>> [C:\Source\Orbiter\Vessel.cpp / 248]
>>> TERMINATING <<<

whats the matter, i unzipped it fine... also when i try to spawn it in scnedit. it is nothing at all but just an invisible mesh.
whats wrong?

shame cause i was really looking forward to trying this baby out :-(

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
oh... i didn't see that coming... seems like the scenario is trying to load up Orulex (the terrain generator)...

a quick fix would be to dl' and install it (you can get it in orbit-hangar)... or you can edit the scenario and remove it, or maybe, create a new scenario and add just the G42...

good find! i wouldn't have guess that could happen :thumbup:

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
i got the files and i selected the DGa2 launch scen. but it quits leaving this in the orbiter.log:

>>> ERROR: DynamicPlanet
>>> TERMINATING <<<

whats the matter, i unzipped it fine... also when i try to spawn it in scnedit. it is nothing at all but just an invisible mesh.
whats wrong?

shame cause i was really looking forward to trying this baby out :-(
Are you sure you installed everything needed? You seem to be missing the DLL (Modules/DGa2.dll if I'm not mistaken). Also, 'ERROR: DynamicPlanet' seems to be related to Orulex.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ok, try it now, i've added a new scenario created in a clean orbiter install - the other one did crash too for me, this one doesn't, so should work :thumbup:

if you add the G42 via the scenario editor it works too!
:cheers:

jaybtlr

Reaction score
kk thanks, i'll try it now

nope still a no-go this time a different log message

>>> ERROR:
>>> TERMINATING <<<

i even did it with a clean orbiter install ie. latest build + patch + orbiter sound and it still doesnt work! :-(

what the hell is going on?

Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
this is strange...

i'll have to do some digging on why this isn't working... did you try the new DGa2_ORBIT scenario?

did anyone else try it? did it work?

jaybtlr

Reaction score
orbit scen, thats not there

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

DGa2_TAKEOFF.scn about 22 hours ago - is the only scenario uploaded tho

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Are you building the dll in "release" mode or "debug?"

In order for someone without Visual Studio to use it, it will have to be built in "release" mode.

Kevon Daye

Smoking Crater
Reaction score
Perhaps, since this ship is designed mainly for cargo, name it the Starlifter ( as a throwback to the old C-141)

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's multirole for passengers or cargo; besides, I think Starliner sounds more fanciful (the ship itself is quite fanciful). I dunno, has the Starliner name stuck? Now that there's a possibility for spin-off variants, 2-person cargo variant, full passenger variant, and robotic cargo variant are now fathomable future developments. There's your Starlifter.

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

Here come the debuggers!
Hats off to you, debuggers. :tiphat:

jaybtlr

Reaction score
whats the differnce between 'debug' mode and 'release' mode, and does that mean i just have to install visual studio and it should work?

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
whats the differnce between 'debug' mode and 'release' mode, and does that mean i just have to install visual studio and it should work?
You need this: DGa2.dll. Put it on the Modules folder.

EDIT: On second thought, you'll also need MSVC 2005 redist. Google it if you don't have Orbiter BETA (it comes with it). Or MSVC 2008 redist...

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Module compiled in debug mode has usually turned off all optimizations for the code that was generated by compiler, it's bigger, slower, and has either a reference to .pdb file that contains symbols used for debugging, or has those symbols embedded inside the file. It would also need other C/C++ runtime libraries if it's compiled dynamically (e.g. msvcm90d.dll, msvcp90d.dll, msvcr90d.dll and mspdb80.dll, for VC2008 that aren't distributed outside of VisualStudio/VisualC++ Express), or only one (e.g. mspdb80.dll) if static C/C++ libraries were used instead.

So, if it's built in debug mode, you need those debug libraries present somewhere on the search path to run it, and you can get them by installing the same version of Visual Studio or Visual C++ Express, that was used to compile the module (i.e. they aren't redistributable, but the module will run fine if you download them from the Internet).

BTW. The DGa2.dll module that is in the git is compiled in 'debug' mode. It needs MSPDB80.DLL, MSVPD90D.dll and MSVCR90D.dll libraries.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
address is: [email protected]:Moach/DGa2.git

you'll (obviously) need git to commit any changes... (it's worth the steep-ish learning curve)

this way, anyone can make changes as they please, meaning the G42 will always be improving :thumbup:
I know it's a bit late to say this, but, AFAIK, that won't work unless you also post your RSA keypair (not recommended as you'd lose control over it). Take a look at GitHub pull requests. I think it should do what you want, but with more control over it.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
EDIT: On second thought, you'll also need MSVC 2005 redist. Google it if you don't have Orbiter BETA (it comes with it). Or MSVC 2008 redist...
Neither MSVC2005 nor MSVC2008 redistributable packages contain files that are needed:
It needs MSPDB80.DLL, MSVPD90D.dll and MSVCR90D.dll libraries.
They are a part of Visual Studio 2008 / Visual C++ 2008.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Neither MSVC2005 nor MSVC2008 redistributable packages contain files that are needed:

They are a part of Visual Studio 2008 / Visual C++ 2008.
Yeah, I didn't know it was compiled in debug mode :dry:.

jaybtlr

Reaction score
sorry guys, but i dont know what the hell you're on about, what do i need to do in order to make orbiter regognise the DGa2.dll in the modules folder?

plz guys, just give me a step by step info on what to do