Project Here goes nothing: The Delta-StarLiner G42

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
right on! it does slip sideways like a mad cow :lol:

it has no gimbal... the "ruddering" is done by opening the "airbrakerons" on one side at a time... like a b2 bomber
it's particularly unstable a design, but it takes off a lot of drag without protruding fins off the back, and it looks so very cool!

also, for controlling pitch balance (asides the surface trim), there is -will be- a fuel-transfer system that shifts the CG as needed... like the one used in the Concorde

no rudder means unstable like jello nailed to a wall... when i get a bit further along with it, i'll add a Stability-Augmentation-System, like that on A10 jets... it's not exactly fly-by-wire, but it helps keep it pointing "forwards"

and uh... i don't see any image... is it just me?

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
it has no gimbal... the "ruddering" is done by opening the "airbrakerons" on one side at a time... like a b2 bomber
it's particularly unstable a design, but it takes off a lot of drag without protruding fins off the back, and it looks so very cool!

If I remember correctly the Go-229 did that as well. So does the XR5, despite having tail fins.

Stability issues are a non-issue if you have corrective fly-by-wire or whatnot. Easy technologically for an advanced ship design, probably rather tricky to do from a coding point of view.

The wing bumps make plenty of sense to me from a fuel storage point of view.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The wing bumps make plenty of sense to me from a fuel storage point of view.

that's what they're there for :thumbup:

do mind tho, this is not the DG... it doesn't boast "magical" fuel and won't make it to orbit without proper handling...

i haven't programmed it yet, but it's looking like the next step to make the RAMCASTER setup become needed during ascent... right now, you can just ride the main engines all the way up, which is kinda impossible engineering-wise :lol:

there'll be also a failure system that will simulate disasters such as engine failure from poor handling and ruthless destruction if a hull breach occurs during reentry or you go throught max-q without the windshield visor up

i think i'll cause a window to popup showing a picture of how you destroyed the ship and make a "boom" sound as appropriate to the fatal event in hand :rofl:

this should add a few new methods to the list of "how to kill an MMU" :cheers:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
can't see it? ok. i uploaded as attachment instead of my site link. does that work now?

Attachments

• hmmmm.jpg
    hmmmm.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 122

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
oh yeah you probably can't gimbal an aerospike eh? maybe by rotating the spike? they all looked pretty rock solid in the pictures. i guess you could also regulate the gas jets turning some on or offish but that seems impractical.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
you actually can gimbal an aerospike... linear ones, at least...
they may look solid, but they're actually hollow and are mounted on a pivoting strut underneath the expansion ramps

but that won't do much good, considering these aren't aerospikes at all...:lol:

that was one possibility discussed at early development... but i dumped it in favor of more efficient Hybrid Turbo-Rocket and RAMCASTER engines

somewhere along this mess of a thread, is a description of the engine ascent procedures... i've given it quite a bit of brain, and the solution i devised seemed somewhat realistic, and mostly, lots of flying fun :p

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
oh yeah! i remember i saw that, but i was tired and forgot about the ramcaster. i also remember i thought it looked weird at that angle and was wondering why it was at an angle.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
before i head off... one more!

picture.php

check out the windshield visor - it covers a bit of your visibility, but it's only really needed during the first half of ascent and reentry

and still got some heavy texturing hours ahead of me... but that's fine, i've got the new Photoshop ;)

not sure what angle you mean... the engines aren't angled, really... perhaps it looked strange in the shot?

anyways... i did spend a little time modelling those exhausts since then, who knows...:p

cheeerz

edit >>

just thought if you wanna take 'er out for a little joyride, here's a WIP release... no sources on this one (trust me, you don't wanna go in there at this point)

you know the drill, it installs like any other addon, use at own risk, don't steal it and all that stuff...:thumbup:

get it HERE

hold on - link not working!

happy reentries!

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
wait! it's still broken!!!!!!!!!! :shrug: you can't just post a broken link no fair!!! :yes:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i know... hang on... i dunno what's the matter with this thing....

damn weebly, it's just not working... urgh, let me try something else

Last edited:

ghostrunner01

Reaction score
I hate that! You are just about to click the link to one of the coolest spacecraft ever and boom dead link. :beathead:

Dambuster

Reaction score
I can't decide whether to try it out or not...it feels a little bit like what peeking at a present would be (not that I've ever done that, of course) :shifty:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I can't decide whether to try it out or not...it feels a little bit like what peeking at a present would be (not that I've ever done that, of course) :shifty:

but your signature flag says you are a beta tester, isn't that what beta testing is all about? :lol:

Dambuster

Reaction score
but your signature flag says you are a beta tester, isn't that what beta testing is all about? :lol:

'tis an outdated signature...haven't gotten round to replacing it (plus it looks pretty cool IMO :p)

Anyway, that's somewhat irrelevant now, since I dl'ed it and LOVE it! It looks amazing! :thumbup:

Just a few things (which you probably knew anyway): the controls are rather difficult...it took more than one go-around before I managed to land it. For example, when I banked briefly then let go of the joystick, it kept rolling until about 98 degrees of bank, at which point it slowly began to correct itself. Another thing was that it seems to want to pitch up a lot...possibly more so when the fuel tanks are less full.

And finally: I LOVE IT!

guitarist473

The UMMU that can play guitar
Reaction score
its looks FANTASTIC!!!
i no its a WIP but it still one of the awsome-ist ships ive ever flown.
i have a few questions.
1) are you going to release it for 2010 only or 2006 p1 aswell (because it doesnt work in 2006 so far, i checked earlier)
2) is there going to be a 2d panel?
3) whens the eta release, cant wait till its fully functional!

keep up the good work
thanks

Last edited:

Sarcanth

Reaction score
:hello:Hi I'm new so please excuse if I missed something in the previous 14 pages. First, Moach very nice ship it's coming along nicely. :thumbup:
Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in.
Just loaded this up on a, I'll admit, very nonclean Orbiter 2010 install and I noticed that while in orbit this craft, under full main engine power, pull's very heavily down and to the right.
:cheers:

Last edited:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Its looking very good so far! I'll be following this one until release :).

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forums.

I'd like to ask you to not change the color of the text. I could only read it after selecting your whole post as I'm using a black theme.