Gaming Digital Combat Simulator Thread

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Phew... thats a lot of scrap metal to collect... but I think I've mastered takeoff and landing.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nice, Chuck Yeager is following me.

Attachments

• Screen_140913_212228.jpg
    Screen_140913_212228.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 21
E

ex-orbinaut

Mig 21, at last? Cool!

Did somebody already try if the LABS works as advertized?

Hopefully I will get a chance to try that F-86 again sometime this week.

In the meantime, there's a training flick and some light entertainment from "another squadron" on the projector in the hangar.

Enjoy!

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
A radarized Sabre I've been able to see recently :) (Fiat F-86K):
X9Pn82S.jpg

JCWcyWe.jpg

After reading a bit on the type, though, it has only about 30% part commonality. Still, seeing a Sabre in the flesh isn't everyday.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A radarized Sabre I've been able to see recently :) (Fiat F-86K):

After reading a bit on the type, though, it has only about 30% part commonality. Still, seeing a Sabre in the flesh isn't everyday.

The German airforce also flew the (Canadian) Dog Sabres. :lol:

Airforce_Museum_Berlin-Gatow_112.JPG

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
But we built them ourselves! :p
(I suppose kits were supplied or a similar arrangement, like with our Harriers)

It was parked next to a Fiat G.91 and a Republic F-84F.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I just tried throwing some bombs with the LABS, sadly something had been wrong and the bombs never got released.

E

ex-orbinaut

I just tried throwing some bombs with the LABS, sadly something had been wrong and the bombs never got released.

Ah! It's loft bombing!

With a guilty conscience (with all I have to do before tomorrow morning) I allowed myself 15-20 minutes in the F-86 to test this LABS system, as per the video. It did work for me, and quite well! I trust you, also, has it all sorted out for yourself by now.

I want to play with the other modes of the LABS next chance. I am a fan of loft bombing! :)

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Most of DCS modules are 50-70% off on Steam [eventtimer]2014-9-18 17:0?for the next|- the daily deal has ended;%c% %h% hours, %m% minutes, and %s%[/eventtimer] seconds[eventtimer]2014-9-18 17:0?.| ago.;%c%[/eventtimer]

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Most of DCS modules are 50-70% off on Steam [eventtimer]2014-9-18 17:0?for the next|- the daily deal has ended;%c% %h% hours, %m% minutes, and %s%[/eventtimer] seconds[eventtimer]2014-9-18 17:0?.| ago.;%c%[/eventtimer]
Thanks, picked up FC3. If only I'd known not to pick up the Su-25 and A-10A separately back when I did that...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
The Sabre and Dora are part of the Steam sale now. (They didn't appear to be earlier)
20% off each.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Was waiting for this for quite some time. The Mi-8 is mine :)

Ah, and the Black Shark too :)

Last edited:
E

ex-orbinaut

Well, well, well! Whad'ya know?

picture.php

picture.php

Coitus with wings! Way too tired now to give it a whirl tonight, as I had my third flight in the F-86 when I got home today. There was an update that added a cart-load of key assignments for the F-86, and I went and tried the "standard" method of dropping demolition bombs with the A-4 sight. A-OK, glad to report. The intricate detail of the procedures is fantastic, and if possible I am a bigger fan of the F-86 than I was before! :lol:

I did not notice the Mig-21 module available until I was signing out. I had already downloaded and scanned through the Mig 21's manual months ago - it looked a real treat. Anyway, DCS with its present leaning to early/mid cold war machines is getting much more like it for me. However, I am done with getting anymore modules for a while. Two complex "type-ratings" will see me through to the middle of next year, most probably. That is, unless a Mig-15 or an F-4G make an appearance to balance out these latest two. :)

Incidentally, any luck with that LABS yet?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Incidentally, any luck with that LABS yet?

No time yet for a second try. I suspect it is something really simple. But technically, I did everything right for dropping the bombs, comparing the video to my actions. Maybe the fault is something else, like the needles not being centered enough.

JSwift

Reaction score
Seems there's been some bugs when trying to update DCS for the addition of the Mig-21. I haven't done the update myself yet but it was recognized as an official bug and supposedly fixed. Proceed with caution - it sounds messy if you fall in that hole. The main bug appears to be related to having the Su-25T training videos installed.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=130320

E

ex-orbinaut

Seems there's been some bugs when trying to update DCS for the addition of the Mig-21....

Thanks. Indeed, there was a subsequent, short update when I started up DCS this evening. Supposedly that was the fix. Seems to be behaving.

Now, about that Mig-21...

The manual included with the module is excellent. No performance data, as usual, but that is all in the real world manual. There is lot to consider. The development of a pre-start / post start cockpit flow is a must. The type may have been used over the years in a number of other roles, but from the text in the manuals, its roots as a no-nonsense, "fly me by the book or else" interceptor is notoriously obvious. It successfully scared me! So, feeling like I still need a month of ground school, it was time to get this show on the runway...

A couple of "gotchas". The throttle needs "unlocking" from the STOP detente, or you cannot start the engine. It is mentioned in the manual, but between the notion and the the action there was a bit of a grey area for me. Then you need to get some speed up early in the taxi; not ridiculous, but a good 20-40 kmh. It will not steer if you crawl. And the radio works on this one, though the selector looks like something off an old diving helmet! Channel 19 for Tiblisi (138.00).

picture.php

Once lined up on Tiblisi 31, I was holding the brakes and doing the recommended take off spool up, first a test, then the real thing. I fudged the holding of the brakes the second time and suddenly found myself unexpectedly barreling down the runway, myself a couple of steps behind the events. Fortunately, it behaved itself quite well and came unstuck predictably, though the rotation did require a reasonable pull.

picture.php

Then another small gotcha. The gear would not retract. No way-no how. However, it was flying rock solid stable after a quick trimming, which was a pleasant surprise, so I was able to troubleshoot without hindrance. I eventually found that there was a mechanical safety latch on the gear lever that needs to be moved before you can select gear up. So far things had been a bit fraught! :lol:

picture.php

After a while I was feeling better, while I burned off fuel down to a landing weight.

picture.php

The first approach did not feel at all right, so I went around. The second seemed acceptable, so I committed to the landing. The drag chute would not disconnect after the roll out. Not with a mouse click on the button in the cockpit, not with the key press. It eventually disappeared after engine shutdown. Probably a little glitch in the coding there.

picture.php

picture.php

All in all; great fun, very procedure intensive. It is a very cool add on, and there is loads more to cover in subsequent flights. I am thrilled to bits with it, but for now, it is back to the F-86 to finish that particular conversion, first. :)