20150501_NewOrbitCrop.jpg

Can't wait to closest approach!

chart.png

Bob Clark

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Please tell me that they a spectrometer on board to point at these bright spots down in that crater! :hailprobe:

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Anyone notice those striations embedded in the craters? I wonder if the bright spots and the ridges are connected?

Unstung

Reaction score
pia19065-16.jpg

JPL: "Dawn Spirals Closer to Ceres, Returns a New View"
A new view of Ceres, taken by NASA's Dawn spacecraft on May 23, shows finer detail is becoming visible on the dwarf planet. The spacecraft snapped the image at a distance of 3,200 miles (5,100 kilometers) with a resolution of 1,600 feet (480 meters) per pixel. The image is part of a sequence taken for navigational purposes.

[...]

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
The Survey mission begins Saturday, June 6 at 410 meters per pixel. Closest approach at 35 meters per pixel will be in December.
Perhaps we can have a countdown clock til then?

Bob Clark

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I hope the bright spots remain mysterious, for a while anyway. If a scientist doesn't get awestruck at the answer, wait a while to give up the answer.

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the dark "streak" above the white spots? I didn't until I saw it mentioned on another forum (cloudy nights). Anyone have any guesses what this might be, or is it just an unrelated mark?

Keatah

Reaction score
I wanted these white spots to be something cool and radical. Instead they'll turn out to be something mundane. Always is that way..unfortunately.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
I wanted these white spots to be something cool and radical. Instead they'll turn out to be something mundane. Always is that way..unfortunately.

Even if it turns out to be ice, that would give support for the idea there is subsurface water, ice or liquid, on Ceres.

Even carbonate or sulfate would be interesting because they would require, at some point in Ceres past, liquid water.

Bob Clark

Last edited:

fsci123

Addon Developer
Reaction score

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Someone suggested the bright spots are overexposed. Could reducing the exposure level increase the detail visible in the spots?

Bright Spots in Ceres' Second Mapping Orbit
pia19568_main-1041.jpg

http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/dawn/pia19568/bright-spots-in-ceres-second-mapping-orbit

Bob Clark

Yes and no.

The spots are pretty much at the top of the sensor scale, so underexposing the scene would most probably help to have better emissivity characteristics and information on the source... eventually.

That being said, it wouldn't help with the resolution, hence the details, yet. When Dawn gets to lower orbits and has better resolution per pixel, it will be worth it to customize the exposure specifically for the spots, but as long as they are only a few bright pixels, it wouldn't tell us that much more.

I do Landsat imagery analysis (partly :p ) for a living... Ohhh what I'd give to put my hands on multispectral imagery of Ceres! :hailprobe:

fsci123

Addon Developer
Reaction score
New hi red images of spot-1... Which is dimmer than all the other spots we've been posting about.

PIA19573.jpg

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA19573
This image, taken by NASA's Dawn spacecraft, shows dwarf planet Ceres from an altitude of 2,700 miles (4,400 kilometers). The image, with a resolution of 1,400 feet (410 meters) per pixel, was taken on June 6, 2015.

Last edited:

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Without spectral data, I don't dare to speculate ... but it looks to me that it might not seem so bright due to the angles of illumination and reflection... There seems to be awfully bright spots at the crater rim.

Another thing is how shallow the craters seem to be, compared to say those on the Moon... It might confirm that under the surface, it is composed of a material which would rebound more, or fill the craters back... say ... ice? :)

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the relative density of impactor / target also plays a role in the depth of the target...

fsci123

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Without spectral data, I don't dare to speculate ... but it looks to me that it might not seem so bright due to the angles of illumination and reflection... There seems to be awfully bright spots at the crater rim.

Another thing is how shallow the craters seem to be, compared to say those on the Moon... It might confirm that under the surface, it is composed of a material which would rebound more, or fill the craters back... say ... ice? :)

Water ice should be found at relatively shallow depths from the rocky surface...