Mission shuts down on its own ...

llarian

Reaction score
Here is an odd one. I set up a mission to go from Mars to Ceres using the Frelon. I initially set time for today, and launch the mission. After doing what set up I need to do using IMFD and TransX2, I let the mission run in real time in the background. If I get lazy or take a nap, I will often come back to find that Orbiter has exitted on its own.

Any explanation for this behaviour or how I can stop the automatic shutdown?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Here is an odd one. I set up a mission to go from Mars to Ceres using the Frelon. I initially set time for today, and launch the mission. After doing what set up I need to do using IMFD and TransX2, I let the mission run in real time in the background. If I get lazy or take a nap, I will often come back to find that Orbiter has exitted on its own.

Did you try recording the flight? what does Orbiter.log say?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

which ceres addon are you using?

llarian

Reaction score
Okay. I never record flights. I will have to redo the mission to update the orbiter.log, though it also happens with another copy of orbiter running a version of the 2001 space station in its completed iteration. I will run both and try to get an estimated timeline and both sets of orbiter. log.

The Ceres addon I'm using is ceres_o2016_17117.zip.

llarian

Reaction score
OK. To bring you up to date, I start the mission and change the date to current time. I set the parameters I need to establish surface launch and then let the mission run in the background without touching it (waiting for launch day). Orbiter will run on its own in the background for three hours give or take a few minutes. It will then exit on its own. (Current state).scn is not updated.

Orbiter.log is not much useful in this case. The entries are for the mission start. The last entry shows MMExtMFD module exited when Orbiter terminated.

I am not much worried by this. What I am trying to do is to run a Mars to Ceres mission in real time from start to finish without using time acceleration, I'm retired so I can afford to let my computer run for an extended time, if Orbiter will let me. I already know it will run the complete mission if I use accelerated time.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Orbiter.log
    6.6 KB · Views: 1

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How is the memory consumption? Orbiter is a 32 bit application, it can only use 4 GB regardless how much memory you have for Windows and all other applications?

Maybe there is a small memory leak, 10000 seconds is not that much.

llarian

Reaction score
How is the memory consumption? Orbiter is a 32 bit application, it can only use 4 GB regardless how much memory you have for Windows and all other applications?

Maybe there is a small memory leak, 10000 seconds is not that much.
Not sure. How do I check it?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not sure. How do I check it?

I would say "task manager". Not accurate and requires manual labor to watch the measurements, but everybody has it.