New Release D3D9Client Development

Reaction score
@DDasng1352 : I would then recommend to add the "write" right to the User account at that folder:
  1. Right-click on the folder (C:/Program Files/Orbiter or what its name is);
  2. select the "Security" Tab;
  3. then click the "Edit..." button and confirm the windows UAC prompt;
  4. select the User account (something like "Users (YOUR-LAPTOP\Users)") in the dialog that appeared;
  5. now tick the "Write" checkbox and confirm (you can click "Apply" before "OK" if you wish ;) ).

P.S.: I hope I got the naming of the dialogs/buttons/entries right, as I am using a German locale Windows.
P.P.S: I used to have one folder under C:/Program Files/Orbiter, that contained all my different Orbiter installations (like C:/Program Files/Orbiter/D3D9DevTrunk, C:/Program Files/Orbiter/NASSP or C:/Program Files/Orbiter/D3D9Dev2016). That way you only have to give the write-right to that one folder (C:/Program Files/Orbiter) and all subsequently added folders will automatically inherit the write-right in the future.
Giving the write-right for users to C:/Program Files folder however is not recommended! It's after all a security feature.
So far for me, it's a short-term fix, it only last like 9 minutes.

Last edited:

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Mine are C:\Orbiter, then I keep download zips at C:\Orbiter\Downloads, then installations are C:\Orbiter\Orbiter1, C:\Orbiter\Orbiter2, like that. One of the few apps on the root directory.

JDat

Reaction score
Mine are C:\Orbiter, then I keep download zips at C:\Orbiter\Downloads, then installations are C:\Orbiter\Orbiter1, C:\Orbiter\Orbiter2, like that. One of the few apps on the root directory.

So? Most useless answer. Does this directory structure solve problem? YES or NO?

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Always worked well for me. This is maybe the third computer I’ve had it on. I don’t have the permission issues with having it inside other Program folders.

Edit: I had Orbiter since 2005. The .zip file download was the only installation method available at that time. Since then the installation file method was introduced, but, I’ve always preferred the .zip files. If something gets corrupted, I just backup the scenario files I want, delete the bad Orbiter folder, then unpack the .zip folder I already have into a new folder, add the scenarios, and play from there. Nothing ever written to the Windows registry.

Last edited:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
BTW as a matter of best practice / compatibility, it's best to always install Orbiter to a normal folder that has write permissions, such as C:\Orbiter. Installing Orbiter to something like C:\Program Files\Orbiter will cause permission headaches, as files under C:\Program Files are supposed to be admin-only anyway.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, as dbeachy1 said: Easiest way is C:\Orbiter, or D:\Orbiter or C:\Games\Orbiter.
There are some folders in the Windows ecosystem that are 'kind of protected (for a good reason).
As program files (installations) usually should not be modifiable by user-level tasks, those folders are "write-protected" (to a degree).
The philosophy is, that program-data that has to be written/changed should be in another location on the disk (e.g. user folder or C:\ProgramData).
If you know those windows restrictions/features you can work your way around them.
But if you want to make it easy for you: Create a folder in which you can do whatever you like! (Some prefer the desktop)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
DDasng, did you create a new folder for Orbiter, like C:\Orbiter or C:\Games\Orbiter?
Orbiter is such an easy software to install...
Can't you start from scratch, unzipping the original zip file in such a new folder?

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
One should imagine Orbiter being a "portable app"....maybe this cuts some knots.

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Related question, would Orbiter run from a USB stick? Then it would be truly portable.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, it does!
When I went to buy my latest notebook I took a USB-drive with me just to check at the store how well Orbiter runs on that (y)

Note: USB 3.0 or better is recommended :D

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
@DDasng1352 : Strange...Did you have to confirm a UAC-dialog when you created that folder?
In that case your user account is very limited.
Maybe your boss doesn't like you to play Orbiter on the companies assets ;)
Seriously, if you had to confirm the UAC-dialog while creating C:\Orbiter folder, you might have to give that folder write-access too (see my post above for that).

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Looks something like this:
windows-10-uac-confirmation-dialog-1024x711.jpg